Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 18th February 2013, 19:53   #21
maxum1947
Regular poster

Rover 75 CDT Club Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by James.uk View Post
??? I am running with the MAF side turned off (Bosch MAF fitted), and the tuner side on with the spindle arrow pointing to where 6 should be..

So what setting is my car actually on then?? Anyone know???
Switch MAF Throttle Power
Position Boost Response

1 LOW LOW HIGH
2 LOW MED HIGH
3 LOW HIGH HIGH
4 MED LOW HIGH
5 MED MED HIGH
6 MED HIGH HIGH
7 HIGH LOW HIGH
8 HIGH MED HIGH
9 HIGH HIGH HIGH
10 LOW HIGH VHIGH

POSN 1, 2 & 3 Borsch Maf has some deterioration OR MAFAM SWITCHED OFF

POSN 4, 5 & 6 Borsch Maf has moderate deterioration OR PIERBURGH MAF FITTED

POSN 7, 8 & 9 Borsch Maf is very poor OR PIERBURGH MAF FITTED

IF YOUR BORSCH MAF IS OK, then switch the mafam off and use settings 1,2,3 or 10
Old 18th February 2013, 22:15   #22
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxum1947 View Post
Switch MAF Throttle Power
Position Boost Response

1 LOW LOW HIGH
2 LOW MED HIGH
3 LOW HIGH HIGH
4 MED LOW HIGH
5 MED MED HIGH
6 MED HIGH HIGH
7 HIGH LOW HIGH
8 HIGH MED HIGH
9 HIGH HIGH HIGH
10 LOW HIGH VHIGH

POSN 1, 2 & 3 Borsch Maf has some deterioration OR MAFAM SWITCHED OFF

POSN 4, 5 & 6 Borsch Maf has moderate deterioration OR PIERBURGH MAF FITTED

POSN 7, 8 & 9 Borsch Maf is very poor OR PIERBURGH MAF FITTED

IF YOUR BORSCH MAF IS OK, then switch the mafam off and use settings 1,2,3 or 10
If your Bosch MAF is out of spec, the MAFAM section will amplify the error.
So if you don't want your ECM thinking that an at idle airflow figure approximately that it would expect at around 1500RPM, then don't switch on the MAFAM section.
What a genuine Bosch MAF will cost you, will soon be recouped in extra fuel savings
Brian
Old 20th February 2013, 18:56   #23
Roverron
Gets stuck in

Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
If your Bosch MAF is out of spec, the MAFAM section will amplify the error.
So if you don't want your ECM thinking that an at idle airflow figure approximately that it would expect at around 1500RPM, then don't switch on the MAFAM section.
What a genuine Bosch MAF will cost you, will soon be recouped in extra fuel savings
Brian
Wrong again.

If the maf signal is weak it will not amplify a weak signal and make it weaker. It will do what an amplifier does - amplify it - ie make it bigger which is exactly what you want.

Ron
Old 20th February 2013, 19:08   #24
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverron View Post
Wrong again.

If the maf signal is weak it will not amplify a weak signal and make it weaker. It will do what an amplifier does - amplify it - ie make it bigger which is exactly what you want.

Ron
Ron I'm afraid I will have to contradict you on this occasion.
The Bosch MAF will rarely if EVER fail with a lower than expected airflow figure, they fail 99% of the time by the signal given to the ECM being higher than an in spec MAF.
The result of amplifying a signal which is higher than normal to begin with, is to compound the error.
People will see an "improvement" as the ECM sees a airflow figure at idle which is more akin to that seen from a normal in spec MAF at 1500 RPM, i.e over fuelling considerably
Brian
Old 20th February 2013, 19:15   #25
Westonboy
Posted a thing or two

Honda Jazz

I have a brand new Pierburg maf. At present my synergy is set on 5 with maf switched of. The car performs realy well, should I have the maf switched on as well, and will this enhance the performance.
Old 20th February 2013, 19:17   #26
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westonboy View Post
I have a brand new Pierburg maf. At present my synergy is set on 5 with maf switched of. The car performs realy well, should I have the maf switched on as well, and will this enhance the performance.
Yes, you will need the MAFAM section turned on in order that the Pierburg MAF give realistic and meaningful figures for the DDE4 to work with .
Brian
Old 20th February 2013, 19:20   #27
Westonboy
Posted a thing or two

Honda Jazz

Quote:
Yes, you will need the MAFAM section turned on in order that the Pierburg MAF give realistic and meaningful figures for the DDE4 to work with .
Brian
Hi Brian thanks for the info, I thought the old bus was going realy well. Am I correct in thinking that setting 5 with maf on will be ok.
Old 20th February 2013, 19:21   #28
Roverron
Gets stuck in

Rover

Quote:
Ron I'm afraid I will have to contradict you on this occasion.
The Bosch MAF will rarely if EVER fail with a lower than expected airflow figure, they fail 99% of the time by the signal given to the ECM being higher than an in spec MAF.
The result of amplifying a signal which is higher than normal to begin with, is to compound the error.
People will see an "improvement" as the ECM sees a airflow figure at idle which is more akin to that seen from a normal in spec MAF at 1500 RPM, i.e over fuelling considerably
Brian
What planet are you on!

I have sold thousands of mafam, digimafams, and Synergy 2a for the L series and BMW engined cars and all do exactly what they are designed to do. (I have the feedback to prove it, not that I need it as my satisfied customers can speak for them selves)

if none of these Bosch mafs had developed a weak signal then:-

a) The products would not have worked or just produced smoke from the overfuelling.
b) Its complete nonsense (and ignorance of both the digimafam and Synergy 2a's functioning) to say that "improvement is due to an increase in the airflow signal at idle" WHY? because the signal is not boosted equally over the range - there is little or no boost at idle.

Yes, some mafs to go high and I clearly state this on my website and in this case you do not want to amplify it - obviously. In which case you replace the bosch maf with a pierburgh where a Synergy 2a or Digimafam is fitted.

But what do I know - I've only been selling mafams since 2004, having proved it worked for me on my 45.

You may a T4, but you have a lot to learn and are clearly not conversant with my products. I don't think you are doing your reputation any favours.

Ron
Old 20th February 2013, 19:25   #29
Roverron
Gets stuck in

Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westonboy View Post
Which maf do you have fitted?

If its the 070 maf, then you should be on settings 6 to 10 and with the maf switch on.

R
Old 20th February 2013, 19:29   #30
Westonboy
Posted a thing or two

Honda Jazz

Hi Ron, I am afraid I dont know what sort of Pierberg I have got, it was fitted by Jules 6 months ago, and he set the synergy 2 at the same time. Whatever setting it should be, the fact is my car has been achieving 48mpg and drives very smoothly.
Closed Thread