Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11th February 2013, 21:23   #21
Roverron
Gets stuck in

Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reebs View Post
Gents if I may, I think that both points of view have been expressed quite openly, and perhaps it's all food for thought moving forward.

There is room, and a demand for both types of upgrade, so no reason why the two approaches, and indeed the providers of said should not work together in 'Synergy' if I can use the vernacular for the good of us all, with respect and mutual understanding.

It would be good if you could both shake hands metaphorically and buy each other a virtual pint as it were
With respect, you've missed the point. As I said in an earlier post, I agree that its up to the individual what type of upgrade they op for - this is not about competitors treading on my toes. The OP already has a Synergy, he wasn't asking which to have. Its disingenuous to imply that a remap is undetectable so should replace the Synergy to avoid the insurance increase.

Ron
Old 11th February 2013, 21:30   #22
Reebs
Owners Club Director

Rover 75 Conn SE V6 / MG ZT 260 SE V8 / MG ZT 180 SE V6

Thanked 6,851 Times in 2,537 Posts

Fair comment Ron, I will but out
Old 11th February 2013, 21:43   #23
Roverron
Gets stuck in

Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reebs View Post
Fair comment Ron, I will but out
No worries.

On a general note, there are a lot of amateurs springing up with cheap programmers off ebay. No insurance, no premises, not vat registered, cheap remap promoted with phrases like 'undetectable or insurance friendly' but then can't be contacted when something goes wrong. My colleague at Energy Tuning often ends up undoing the mess left by them.
Vehicle manufacturers are getting the upper hand (I'm surprised its taken this long) and successfully preventing tuning and the insurance industry woke up to tuning a few years ago, witness the number who do now cover mods. This means, now, more than ever, its best to inform them of any tuning mods.

Ron
Old 11th February 2013, 21:49   #24
Roverron
Gets stuck in

Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
What, you fail to say here is unlike your glorified "resistor in a box", I will create an invisible to the naked eye job, which need not be removed where circumstances, would dictate removal of any tuning box impossible.
I've never pointed out that the only thing the tuning aspect of synergy does is to crudely "fool" the DDE4 ECM into thinking that the high pressure rail pressure is lower than it actually is, thus artificially injecting more fuel.
As to HP duty solenoid logs, no such thing exists on the three variants of DDE4 as fitted to R40.
For those who are interested, here is an enlightening read for you.
LINK
You can draw your own conclusions after reading
Brian
You said 'insurance friendly' invisible to the naked eye is not necessarily invisible to a suspicious insurance assessor.....

The Synergy is once again being denigrated whilst all I have done is point out one simple fact - no remap is undetectable.

I think this post sums up your unprofessionalism quite nicely thank you.

Ron
PS I wasn't referring to the 75/ZT when I mentioned solenoid logs, I was trying to be fair by saying that tuning boxes are no longer invisible either.
Old 11th February 2013, 22:26   #25
BigRuss
Premium Trader

75 CDT Tourer,2.5 Launch Saloon, Omipro MG/Rover (T4)

Thanked 1,340 Times in 661 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverron View Post

On a general note, there are a lot of amateurs springing up with cheap programmers off ebay. No insurance, no premises, not vat registered, cheap remap promoted with phrases like 'undetectable or insurance friendly' but then can't be contacted when something goes wrong. My colleague at Energy Tuning often ends up undoing the mess left by them.

Ron
I hope you are not referring to the traders on here who are offering remaps.

I like Brian use a bespoke programmer designed for use with the DDE 4.0, have insurance and more than enough ability to sort out any problem that could possibly arise.

With many tens of thousands of miles that have been done by the cars that have been remapped there hasn't been any reported problem as yet that have been attributed to the remaps we offer.

I agree that people with little knowledge or ability should not attempt to offer remapping services there are plenty of cowboys and snake oil sellers out there.

As for informing the insurance company, customers are made aware that they should, but that of course is up to them.

Russ

Replacement Key Service
http://https://the75andztclub.co.uk/...d.php?t=244732
Full T4 Testbook diagnostics available.
Diesel ECU repair and replacement.
Options enabled or disabled as required.
Diesel X-Power 135 and 160bhp, Rover 1.8T 150 to 160
MG 160 V6 to 177 upgrades available
P.M. for details.
Old 11th February 2013, 22:46   #26
guru
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT, Rover Sterling, MG ZS EV & BMW X5

Trying to bring this thread back on topic, do bear in mind that in the event of an accident the insurance company would have to prove that the modification was a contributory factor and even then they would most likely only deduct a portion of the payout not void the claim. Also bear in mind that even if they refused to pay for your car they have no choice but to pay for the other party's damage if the accident was your fault. Of course any mod should ALWAYS be declared but it's not quite the black and white situation that some posters on here seem to be making out.

With the above in mind remember that if you hit a Ferrari the insurers can't get out of their liability to the third party so the only thing they can get out of is paying for the damage to your car, now given the age and value of our cars I cannot see that any insurance company would spend very much time at all trying to analyse the car to ECU programming level to try to get out of it, much easier and cheaper just to pay a couple of grand, write the car off and move on. Also bear in mind that with the tuning box they would have to argue that the difference between 115bhp and 160bhp caused the accident, again not worth the time and effort at our level.

Of course if you owned the Ferrari and your insurance company was trying to get out of a £150k claim it would be a very different story, they would tear what remained of the car apart to try to invalidate the claim but for a £2k 75 or ZT the numbers just don't add up.
Old 12th February 2013, 02:28   #27
crofts
I really should get out more.......

2003 Rover 75 Conn. SE Auto Tourer 131 ps CDTi

Default Re-Tuning

What brasses me off is that insurance companies seem to assume you have a tune-up box, or a remap, purely to 'rip it up' with acceleration and speed.
If funds permitted I would love to have the re-map by Brian but purely to make change up's more effortlessly and, hopefully, improve MPG
I'm probably a 74 yr old Pipe & Slippers type, not a boy racer. Having said that I don't dawdle either on the motorway and sit at a true 70 mph, in cruise, whenever I can. But around town I have disciplined myself to drive with a very light foot with possible economy in mind..........and avoid speeding tickets.
Following on from the above I'm waiting for Brian & our other Gurus to come up with a remap, or whatever, to enable the auto box to change up at 30-32mph
Well you can dream.....can't you ? ?
Old 12th February 2013, 08:14   #28
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by guru View Post
With the above in mind remember that if you hit a Ferrari the insurers can't get out of their liability to the third party so the only thing they can get out of is paying for the damage to your car.
Are you sure? Thought I once read in the insurance small print that although they would pay out for the other vehicles involved in an accident, they had the right to claim those costs back from the insured driver in the event of finding things like failure to disclose all facts?

Mike
Old 12th February 2013, 08:41   #29
guru
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
Are you sure? Thought I once read in the insurance small print that although they would pay out for the other vehicles involved in an accident, they had the right to claim those costs back from the insured driver in the event of finding things like failure to disclose all facts?

Mike
That is true however they would have to be able to prove in court that the undeclared mods caused or were a contributing factor in the accident. Even if you hit a Ferrari the costs of putting the case together and ensuing legal costs would probably put them off. If you were driving around drunk with 4 bald tyres and the petrol tank on fire then they might go for it however trying to argue that you should pay them back for the claim because your car had a few more gee gee's then it should have would be very tough for them to prove.
Also remember in court they can only win what you have, so even if they spent £75k putting together a watertight case if you only have £50k in assets they'll still be out of pocket. Insurance companies don't do things to prove points, they just look at the figures at the end of the day.
Old 12th February 2013, 08:43   #30
guru
Posted a thing or two

I will add though that I still recommend disclosing everything to your insurance company....takes away any worry!