Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11th February 2013, 14:02   #11
Roverron
Gets stuck in

Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakg View Post
I'm sorry Ron, but for once a competing product has proof to back up it's claims - yours has advantages (removable, resale-able, can use PB MAF's etc), but in headline power figures the 160 map delivers more.
I'm not arguing about power figures - I never have.

But it is not acceptable for one trader to denigrate another's product by using phrases such as "ditch.." It smacks of desperation to get a sale.

By all means use words to the effect "if you want 160bhp" then I can remap it".

However, in reality only a small percentage of owners want to max out their engine..

Finally, the OP was asking about describing the Synergy, so Marinabrian had no right to jump in touting for business.

I'm sure he'd not appreciate me monitoring all his replies and trying to put owners off his remaps. Infact I do now offer either a Synergy 2a or a remap for the same price (£189.95) though not a 160bhp one - around 145 in fact.

So let's have a bit of respect please.

Ron

Last edited by Roverron; 11th February 2013 at 14:13..
Old 11th February 2013, 14:20   #12
pete75
Avid contributor

Rover75 cdt

I've had first class service from Ron. His Synergy for our cars is a wonderful bit of kit.
Pete
Old 11th February 2013, 14:31   #13
Roverron
Gets stuck in

Rover

Default Remappers honesty

Whilst I'm on my high horse!

Anyone trying to tell you that a remap is undetectable is not being honest.

Insurance companies assessors are not stupid and if they can see the vehicle is non standard (eg has an egr bypass and / or other mods - non standard wheels and tryes etc ) they are quite likely to have the ecu firmware checked.

Its hardly rocket science comparing a factory ecu file with the one in your ecu and any experienced remapping company will be able to confirm to them that the file in the ecu has been modified.

Fortunately, insurers do not usually go to these lengths unless trying to reduce the size of a large claim. I certainly know of two cases where they did - one a Ferrari or similar and one an Audi that made the TV news last year.

So if you are responsible for a collision involving several vehicles, especially some expensive ones, watch out. At least with a Synergy fitted, you can remove it if you forgot to notify them about it.

Just to be totally up front, any tuning box even after removal is also detectable by viewing the ecu fuel pressure regulator duty cycle log.
Proving that the non standard data was due to the use of a tuning box however, is more difficult and of interest mainly to vehicle manufacturers investigating warranty claims.

Ron
Ron
Old 11th February 2013, 14:32   #14
pbry
Regular poster

Rover 75 Cdt Connoisseur SE Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete75 View Post
I've had first class service from Ron. His Synergy for our cars is a wonderful bit of kit.
Pete
I will second that emotion, the Synergy is a great bit of kit and easy for the do it yourself-er to fit with the added benefit of being able to use the Pierburg Maf
replacement. I have the Synergy fitted to my cdt (116 hp) and the difference is amazingly good, like driving a different car.

Thanks,

Paul.
Old 11th February 2013, 17:28   #15
rik007
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer CDT 2002

Interesting conversation here ...

Sure I'd say I support Roverron, the Synergy2 does indeed work well for me. Especially so as my wife drives the car to work every day but doesn’t need the car in a high performance mode. We just leave it on the lower setting most of the time. Then flick the switch if were pulling the caravan
or need extra zip on a long drive south.

However, the education about a remap is interesting to hear about. So I've actually learnt a little as well.

Whether the post could have been worded more commercially aware is certainly a fair point.

As I have the Synergy even if I did move to a remap I'd have spent my money at both ports of call so both would have been treated fairly I guess. But only from where I stand!

I'll be keeping the synergy I think. It does do all we need it to do and there is sufficient power for what we need.

Thanks everyone, I did get the help I needed re insurance quotes so will pursue that with the info provided.

Cheers everyone,

Rich
Old 11th February 2013, 17:55   #16
chrislloydie
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 135 CDTI+ Auto Royal Blue with Synergy 2. 75 Tourer cdti club Se Auto, Royal Blue, synergy 2

Yep, synergy 2 fan here too. Always had great service and advice from Ron. And now im selling my zt, Ive been able to remove the synergy 2 and sell it on to another member. Was always very happy with the synergy units on our zt and 75 tourer.

I also think its a bit wrong for someone to suggest you having the remap done so you dont have to declare it to your insurance companies.

Old 11th February 2013, 20:01   #17
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbry View Post
If you call Adrain Flux Insurance 0800 369 8590 and mention Dan Clark ( A rover 75 forum member ) you will not only get a club discount but also this company are familiar with all the diesel engine mods on the Rover 75.
I have told them I have the Synergy and EGR bypass and they didn't bat an eyelid and offered me cover with no additional premium cost.
Good Luck.
Paul.
I phone these lot a few years ago, and they were not at all interested.!!
Old 11th February 2013, 20:17   #18
Roverron
Gets stuck in

Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivas View Post
I phone these lot a few years ago, and they were not at all interested.!!
I have used Adrian Flux but I've always found it pays to shop around after a year or two.

These companies cover power upgrades although some may charge a mid-term admin fee.

NB the % is the power increase not the cost increase!

SHIELA’S WHEELS 30% max

DIRECT LINE 20% max

ELEPHANT/ADMIRAL 5-10% & 10-25%

ADRIAN FLUX haggle

SAGA - ask as the cost varies.

TESCO - same as Elephant

NU/Aviva usually will, often at no extra cost apart from mid term admin fee.

There are probably others that will offer cover due to the intense competition.
ron
Old 11th February 2013, 22:06   #19
Reebs
Owners Club Director

Rover 75 Conn SE V6 / MG ZT 260 SE V8 / MG ZT 180 SE V6

Thanked 6,851 Times in 2,537 Posts

Gents if I may, I think that both points of view have been expressed quite openly, and perhaps it's all food for thought moving forward.

There is room, and a demand for both types of upgrade, so no reason why the two approaches, and indeed the providers of said should not work together in 'Synergy' if I can use the vernacular for the good of us all, with respect and mutual understanding.

It would be good if you could both shake hands metaphorically and buy each other a virtual pint as it were
Old 11th February 2013, 22:14   #20
Roverron
Gets stuck in

Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Well well, I seem to have touched a raw nerve here.
The OP was annoyed at having to pay an extra £150 to a blood sucking insurer for the privilege of having a Synergy Tuning box fitted.
I was merely pointing out that there is an alternative to a box which is visible to the naked eye the moment the bonnet is opened
Tell me how following the aftermath of an accident, in which you quite possibly have sustained serious injury, and your car is recovered to a secure location, you have the time to remove the quite obvious "undeclared" tuning box
And as far a desperation to gain a sale, you don't know me from Adam and if you did, you'd realise quite quickly that money is not the motivation for me

Ron if you were offended, or wished me to amend the wording of my original post, you only need have sent me a P.M. and I would have been happy to oblige.
As it is, you have made all manner of incorrect assumptions, both technically and personally so we'll leave it at that shall we.
Brian
Owners have been known to take off their tuning box after an accident - I recabled one just last week where the owner had cut if off.

Its up to the individual whether whether they tell their insurers about any mods, but the implication that remaps are not detectable so need not be declared is one widely put about by remappers as a selling point over a tuning box. THIS WAS THE REASON FOR YOUR POST IF NOT FOR PROFIT.

I don't have a problem with any other traders suggesting a remap instead of a box, but your snide suggestion to: "ditch the Synergy,.. its free listing on Ebay" etc is disrepectful to a fellow trader. Made all the worse by suggesting that the OP then have one of your remaps and not bother to tell his insurers.

What would you do if the OP had taken up your offer, had an accident, the insurance company took the ecu away for examination, found it had been remapped and then refused to pay out?

When you remappers stop trying to fool customers into thinking a remap is undetectable, there won't be any reason for me to be offended because your main selling point will cease to exist.

Ron