Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 18th February 2019, 12:42   #31
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Hey Colvert - do you also get 89MPG from your diesel filled with Supermarket fuel whilst touring the mountains?

Tell me, did you monitor the voltage and current going into your AGM battery over a long period and under various monitored charge states?

We have been here before with droplinks, front suspension arms, clutch CSC's etc. People, supported by some traders with vested interests, used to rave about the cheap items. And where are we now?

Some people will never learn.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2019, 12:42   #32
Ross R75
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
ROSS !!!--What's happening here ???--I find that I am in total agreement with you.--
Jon, we should mark it in our diaries as the best thing that's happened since the Battle of the brake fluid
Old 18th February 2019, 12:51   #33
tourer
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer CDT Auto.

As the OP, I hope I might take the thread just a tiny bit off-topic.

My CAR MECHANICS mag arrived today and coincidently featured a CTEK MXS 10 charger, which they say has a RRP of £129.99. Sure enough, everyone is advertising it at £129.99, even Halfords.
Everyone except ECP who say it should be £300.60, less 15% makes it £254.00, and then apply code LOVE50 which when you apply it makes the grand total £249.89.

I don't usually criticise ECP (I often use them) but come on. You can see why they sometimes having a reputation for bumping prices up before supposedly discounting them.
tourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2019, 13:41   #34
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourer View Post

My CAR MECHANICS mag arrived today and coincidently featured a CTEK MXS 10 charger, which they say has a RRP of £129.99. Sure enough, everyone is advertising it at £129.99, even Halfords.
Everyone except ECP who say it should be £300.60, less 15% makes it £254.00, and then apply code LOVE50 which when you apply it makes the grand total £249.89.

I don't usually criticise ECP (I often use them) but come on. You can see why they sometimes having a reputation for bumping prices up before supposedly discounting them.

Having recently bought a suaoki car charger which charges all the types of batteries mentioned here for £35, does the £129 CTEK one charge the batteries any better than mine or the £13 one mentioned in the OP?

If a battery is charged fine by a suitable £30 charger then is there a different type of electric or something used in by the £129 one as they all apparently do the same thing i.e. get a battery back up to working order.

I am a bit of a devil for paying slightly more (within reason) for what is suposedly regarded as a slightly better product perhaps with the odd additional feature but where do you draw a line price wise on buying something that seems to do exactly the same as all the other differently priced products on the market
bendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2019, 13:59   #35
tourer
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendrick View Post
Having recently bought a suaoki car charger which charges all the types of batteries mentioned here for £35, does the £129 CTEK one charge the batteries any better than mine or the £13 one mentioned in the OP?

If a battery is charged fine by a suitable £30 charger then is there a different type of electric or something used in by the £129 one as they all apparently do the same thing i.e. get a battery back up to working order.

I am a bit of a devil for paying slightly more (within reason) for what is suposedly regarded as a slightly better product perhaps with the odd additional feature but where do you draw a line price wise on buying something that seems to do exactly the same as all the other differently priced products on the market

Hi,
I really have no idea if the CTEK is better than the Suaoki. I couldn't find one for sale at £35 to compare specs (current rating and therefore charging times etc).
The only reason I mentioned the CTEK was because it was mentioned in my magazine and was massively more expensive at ECP than most other outlets.
Old 18th February 2019, 14:46   #36
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

Quote:
Hi,
I really have no idea if the CTEK is better than the Suaoki. I couldn't find one for sale at £35 to compare specs (current rating and therefore charging times etc).
The only reason I mentioned the CTEK was because it was mentioned in my magazine and was massively more expensive at ECP than most other outlets.

Its OK I wasn't asking you in particular just musing out loud rhetorically.

If they all seem to do the job then what does it matter?
bendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2019, 15:21   #37
tourer
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendrick View Post
Its OK I wasn't asking you in particular just musing out loud rhetorically.

If they all seem to do the job then what does it matter?

Hypothetically, it is feasible that one could ruin a £300 battery or even set fire to your car and garage, and one might not.
Hypothetically.

But, if ifs and ands
Were pots and pans
What would the tinkers do?
Old 18th February 2019, 16:49   #38
bazyerma
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T

My 10 year old Lidl Charger is on my Aprilia RSV (2003). This Bike has not been stated since last March, when I gave it it yearly service. So in the interest of this forum, I though I would see how it starts (It has an AGM battery) and on a chilly 3 degree day in Aberdeen the bike started on the 2 second attempt after about 12 Cranks.

Time to leave my bit to rest for another month before I service it, take its for its MOT and leave it in my Garage for another year! (18 miles in 3 years )

Regards

Barry
bazyerma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2019, 17:06   #39
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
Hey Colvert - do you also get 89MPG from your diesel filled with Supermarket fuel whilst touring the mountains?

Tell me, did you monitor the voltage and current going into your AGM battery over a long period and under various monitored charge states?

We have been here before with droplinks, front suspension arms, clutch CSC's etc. People, supported by some traders with vested interests, used to rave about the cheap items. And where are we now?

Some people will never learn.
Item 1/ Only with diesel from the Leclerc Grand Espace chain. ( mainly down hill in the Pyrenees. )

Item2/ The current on a modern motor bike is NOT regulated. ( Hence, can't check it. )
A small proportion goes to the battery and the rest to a Heat Sink.
This is under the seat which gets really, really hot and is monitored by a sensitive part of my under-carriage.

Item4/ Thank heaven my bike doesn't have drop links.----

Last edited by COLVERT; 18th February 2019 at 17:08..
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2019, 17:11   #40
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:

Totally depends where the dart hits the board. Lol.

Or the height of the person throwing it.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote