Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > S525 OVP The Club Car
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 27th September 2011, 23:28   #31
pbaker
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer CDTI SE + MG ZS

Default ovp

I will probally be shot for what I am about say but here goes. I appreciate EVERYTHING and EVERYBODY working on ovp. I think that as an expermental car [was it] it should have been kept as such with all its odd bits to show how it had been treated at the the factory. yes,make it completely road worthy. make all that dont work, work. making it look like a new /original car I think loses its history. a good clean inside and out would have sufficed. changing its odd bits to proper was history now consigned to history. what does it matter that it has a few dents and the paintwork is scruvvy, it was all part of its "charm"?. I have felt this way for a long time and wanted to say [WITHOUT critismn of all the helpers] it on air. thats me done, now waiting for the flack. nite nite all you late lookers
pbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2011, 10:04   #32
eumjmorris
Loves to post

R75 now just two diesel tourers

That's an interesting point of view, and I for one can see the argument has merit.
This is the same as the dilemma for many museums such as the NRM, now, do they recondition railway artifacts or leave as is and unusable, do they recon and keep the old bits to show the previous history..etc etc. I guess for OVP it's too late and it has moved on quite some way now. Knew the car at Longbridge, passed it every day at N gate.
eumjmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2011, 10:24   #33
pbaker
Loves to post

Default ovp

morning Mike. first response, no flack good start. perhaps you or a mod can tell me why I cannot find my posting as of last nite. was trying to find it when u popped up. not very good at finding my way around the forum at times.
Old 28th September 2011, 10:29   #34
pbaker
Loves to post

Default ovp postings

well,well well. just had another look and there it is!. seems to have shown up after Mikes posting. Peter
Old 28th September 2011, 10:44   #35
Reebs
Owners Club Director

Rover 75 Conn SE V6 / MG ZT 260 SE V8 / MG ZT 180 SE V6

Thanked 6,851 Times in 2,537 Posts

Interesting angle on this to be sure. But I think the original thrust of OVP apart from saving it from the crusher as one of the earliest examples that had a history, was to use it as a How-To project in renovation and restoration for members to walk through.

Also, having seen the car close up, it really doesn't do the marque any favours.

BTW, if you ever want to quickly find any of your posts, click User CP (top left), then Your Profile then Statistics to get to 'Find all posts by pbaker'

All Posts By pbaker

Or just find any post you've made, then click on your username to the left and from the drop down select 'find more post by pbaker'
Reebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2011, 12:49   #36
Roverowner
Retired

CDTi Tourer 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbaker View Post
I will probally be shot for what I am about say but here goes. I appreciate EVERYTHING and EVERYBODY working on ovp. I think that as an expermental car [was it] it should have been kept as such with all its odd bits to show how it had been treated at the the factory. yes,make it completely road worthy. make all that dont work, work. making it look like a new /original car I think loses its history. a good clean inside and out would have sufficed. changing its odd bits to proper was history now consigned to history. what does it matter that it has a few dents and the paintwork is scruvvy, it was all part of its "charm"?. I have felt this way for a long time and wanted to say [WITHOUT critismn of all the helpers] it on air. thats me done, now waiting for the flack. nite nite all you late lookers
I agree with you to a point. I think that the car had gone beyond the -nicely worn- stage and needed bringing back to the condition it was in when it was a-star-. The subsequent use as a runabout at Longbridge and then a hybrid MG to please the chinese doesn´t need to be shown on the car. A few photos and a paragraph in it´s history would suffice.

My car is older than this one and has had some bumps since it came off the line 12th November 1998. It´s had a bump at the back and has been repaired with a new bumper and boot lid. The bumper is all one colour as are the reverse sensors. The boot lid has a lable with 2001 on it. MGR sold it in 2003 and I suspect the bump ocurred before they sold it. As this is a part of the cars history I will keep it like that. The car is in very good condition which was not the case with the club car.....
Roverowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2011, 19:02   #37
Bolin
This is my second home

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE 4dr manual Wedgewood Blue 2 04-05/06/2001

This is a fundamental problem in all areas regarding restoration, be it for cars, trains, planes or buildings.

I remember chairing a seminar on this issue whilst at university, discussing the merits of restoring historic buildings to 'original' condition, or whether to preserve the 'added history' as it showed how it had been used and adapted through the ages, and also what to do with historic buildings going forward i.e. whether to leave them exactly as they are now or whether new alterations should be allow to continue the functionality of a building (after all they are built to be used, not as some giant museum piece). It was a very interesting debate, with a strong mix of opinions for/against (as always with archaeology students, lots of strong differing views, very little consensus!!).

In the case of OVP, in it's current state it looks especially confused, with Rover and MG features making it look like some sort of illegitimate love-child. And with a car of it's age, it wouldn't really be able to pull off the 'used, patina' effect that would be acceptable on a car that is typically 30+ years old - OVP would just appear scruffy to most people, probably detracting from what it is, rather than creating any great interest for the car and model line.

What is important in this case is to preserve the history of the car, much of which is in this sub-forum and could be presented on display boards alongside the finished car, so that it is not forgotten, and instead communicated to those who view the finished car.

BTW no flak at all towards pbaker - he makes an extremely important point about preserving the history of OVP, although in this specific case I disagree about how it should be done, I definitely agree that the history must be preserved in some manner.
Bolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2011, 19:18   #38
tonybubble
ZT, 75 & 260 Rescue

2002 MG ZT 260 (007), 2003 MG ZT-T 260 SE, 2004 75 CDTI Tourer

What happened with the MOT? Not sure that this is the right place, but the OVP restoration thread is now closed?
I counted them in and I counted them out (with apologies to Brian Hanrahan) - 005, 007, 019, 051, 103, 288, 354, 455, 577, 700 - the story continues. http://www9.mg-cars.org.uk/mgoc260/f...lies/smile.png

tonybubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2011, 19:54   #39
pab
Banned

MG ZT V6 190+

Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybubble View Post
What happened with the MOT? Not sure that this is the right place, but the OVP restoration thread is now closed?
This thread contains recent pictures and developments regarding work. At the end of thread it shows the car loaded on a trailer to be taken for the MOT test of which the car passed.
pab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2011, 19:57   #40
tonybubble
ZT, 75 & 260 Rescue

2002 MG ZT 260 (007), 2003 MG ZT-T 260 SE, 2004 75 CDTI Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pab View Post
This thread contains recent pictures and developments regarding work. At the end of thread it shows the car loaded on a trailer to be taken for the MOT test of which the car passed.
Thank-you.
I counted them in and I counted them out (with apologies to Brian Hanrahan) - 005, 007, 019, 051, 103, 288, 354, 455, 577, 700 - the story continues. http://www9.mg-cars.org.uk/mgoc260/f...lies/smile.png

tonybubble is offline   Reply With Quote