Notices

Old 25th October 2014, 21:18   #131
Doc Evil
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 1.8 Classic Saloon

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supervinnie40 View Post
Ozone is a much used device in car detailing. I've done several cars with it, and I have used it heaps of times in my previous car (to test out how it works best with certain smells) and I have heard MANY horror-stories, but not 1 problem ever.
Nor have I ever heard of any other detailer who has ever had any problem with this stuff.

The amount used by the device is very safe to use. But I do recommend to NOT sit in the car while the device is running! It has no effect on electric cables. Perhaps if you leave it in the car for 3 weeks on the highest setting, and repeat this every month orso, it could perhaps have some kind of effect. But it is perfectly safe.
Nothing more then overrated horror-stories.
Vinnie
Please do not underestimate the effects of Ozone, as stated I use it in my work I am a Doctor of Mycology. Ozone generators are used to kill any living thing in hospital operating theaters as well as many other uses but it degrades rubber and leather so it will attack your window seals and seats if hide and the seals on your heater matrix
Profesional machines come with a manual please read it it will tell you what I have posted is NOT overrated horror story but fact
Doc
I leave it up to you to take my advice or not but this is not an opinion of a well meaning forum member this is empirical advice from someone who acts as Expert Witness for Governments
Old 28th October 2014, 09:02   #132
Supervinnie40
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 1.8 Club

I understand you're trying to be helpfull. But 5 years of experience by me, and several more by dozens others who use it even more often then me (and even much longer) really says otherwise. Even the manual (which I have read several times in these years) says nothing about how dangerous it is.

I think you don't have much experience with the models we use in detailing. These machines are probably a lot more different then the ones you use. I don't plan on sterilizing hospital theaters with it (they are far to small for such a thing anyway), but it is used to remove odors and smells from car interior.

I appreciate your advice, but my own experience and that of many others tell me that it is fine to use and that there is no risk of damage.
I have yet to hear or see the first customer with any problems relating to the use of an ozon generator.
Old 28th October 2014, 09:57   #133
whitevanman
This is my second home

2001 Connie SE CDT, 2002 2.0Petrol Laguna SportHatch

Is this not more of a 'level' use argument? Something along the lines of fluoride in our water type thing, Fairly harmless in small doses, drink a cup of it and you'd be in the poop.

I'd hazard a guess that the amounts the machinery Doc uses to kill stuff is far far greater that the amount generated by the equipment Vinnie uses

Car: Connie SE CDT Manual, Mods: O-Rings, Silicon intercooler hose, Stainless EGR Bypass, BMW PCV Mod, 160 Upgrade, DD Unit, Projector Headlights, Powerflex Bottom Mount, Remote Clutch reservoir, SS Compensator; Inline Stat To Come: cat gut (when replacing iffy section). Meteors after refurb..
whitevanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2014, 10:03   #134
Jordan Apex
This is my second home

Jaguar XFR 2011MY

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitevanman View Post
Is this not more of a 'level' use argument? Something along the lines of fluoride in our water type thing, Fairly harmless in small doses, drink a cup of it and you'd be in the poop.

I'd hazard a guess that the amounts the machinery Doc uses to kill stuff is far far greater that the amount generated by the equipment Vinnie uses
I would assume that would be correct and agree, if both use them correctly FOR THEIR SITUTATION then they will be fine, it's a matter of knowing where to use and whrn not to, much like many things.

Plus you don't not go into an operating theatre after it has been used, you just don't go in there whilst it is active and for a period after, same principle applies to the car, although the 'dosage' would determine the time windows...
Jordan Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2014, 13:02   #135
Neil1

MG ZT-T CDTI Auto

I have used ozone generators albeit some years ago now but they do provide an effective way of cleaning the air quality in a room.
I used to work in Clean Rooms where dust and odours could linger so it was imperative that these were kept ultra clean, much cleaner than any operating theatre.
The only thing was you had to clear the room but after a few minutes it was safe to go back into the room.

There is an old method that works for getting rid of stale smells, dog, tobacco, and so on and that's by cutting an onion in half and placing it in the room overnight.
It does work!
Neil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2014, 20:34   #136
Supervinnie40

Rover 75 1.8 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil1 View Post
There is an old method that works for getting rid of stale smells, dog, tobacco, and so on and that's by cutting an onion in half and placing it in the room overnight.
It does work!
That might become my budget solution then
Old 2nd November 2014, 22:12   #137
Doc Evil
Gets stuck in

Vinnie
An apology is owed to you
I have looked at the type of machines you would buy and use and they have a tiny output, unless you are using them every month in the same car it would be unlikely to degrade the rubber and leather I didn't know such small machines existed
Sorry mate and carry on, as you know ozone is an effective cure of odours but I always think it leaves a strange after odour behind
Doc
Old 2nd November 2014, 22:53   #138
Doc Evil
Gets stuck in

Hi guys just to clarify a couple of points I don't use Ozone generators in hospital theatres personally I'm not that kind of a Doctor I use them on mouldy buildings to kill the mould or fire damaged properties to remove the smells, the ozone is used to kill the mould spores and neutralise the smell after fires
Ozone is a oxidising agent which will at the concentration I use kill any living organism and as all smells are carbon based it will also by production of oxygen molecules convert the smell
Generators produce typically O8 to O13 (sorry can't get small numbers) and this is very unstable with a half life of minutes so it's safe to enter room after about half an hour, hospitals use a similar dose of ozone to sterilise theatres and kill nasties like MRSA
Hope that clears up a couple of points and gives you a bit of information on Ozone and it's uses
Doc
p's when I say that I use, I specify the methodology I don't get my hands on these days
Old 2nd November 2014, 22:56   #139
chillyphil
Gets stuck in

MGZT-T

My old mother in law used to leave a saucer of ammonia based liquid cleaner on the table, in the lounge each night when she went to bed, to get rid of the tobacco smell, she smoked like chimney.

It seemed to work.
chillyphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2014, 14:43   #140
Supervinnie40

Rover 75 1.8 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Evil View Post
Vinnie
An apology is owed to you
I have looked at the type of machines you would buy and use and they have a tiny output, unless you are using them every month in the same car it would be unlikely to degrade the rubber and leather I didn't know such small machines existed
Sorry mate and carry on, as you know ozone is an effective cure of odours but I always think it leaves a strange after odour behind
Doc
No worries mate. You where just trying to do me (us all) a favor to warn us about something that could've been seriously dangerous and/or harmfull. You never need to apologize for that intention.