Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 5th April 2016, 16:35   #11
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

In terms of the future propulsion, I believe initially , at least until fuel cells get better developed, that generator powered electric hybrids will be the way. Smaller and smaller liquid fuel engines powering electric motors, with split charging to batteries for town use. Like diesel electric trains. An efficient engine like we are beginning to see, though, perhaps just 500cc running as a generator, to power powerful and efficient electric motors, with a small battery pack for city driving. We already have similar today however, the engines are used to drive the car as much as the batteries.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2016, 21:57   #12
geofftl1000r
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon in Moonstone Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovel View Post
Really ! I don't think they are a long term the answer at all. Not including the future population explosion, if everyone changed from petrol to electric the supply of lithium for the batteries alone are estimated to last in region of 15-30years. In this ever diminishing resource obsessed and consumer led world that we live in we are using it all up too fast, and the movement to batteries and electric for phones, laptops, cars etc all contribute to that dwindling resources on a massive scale.

Once the electric car get to about 10 years old it is believed that the prohibitive battery costs (estimated £19k for Nisaan LeaF) will most likely render the car scrap, which kind of negates the ECO marketing scam of these polluters doesn't it?

I think its bad enough worrying about the battery level on my iPhone, never mind the stress if the car was going to make it 70 miles in a rural location. I dont want any more networks of cables, pillars and pylons and turbines polluting my (our) unscathed beautiful countryside either for town dwellers to gorge on with their greed for leccy.
When I was at school, some time ago now, I was told fossil fuel had 30-50 years left. So guess that will dry up around the same time as Lithium then.
Anyone want to buy a saddle?

"I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left"
geofftl1000r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2016, 05:27   #13
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovel View Post
Once the electric car get to about 10 years old it is believed that the prohibitive battery costs (estimated £19k for Nisaan LeaF) will most likely render the car scrap, which kind of negates the ECO marketing scam of these polluters doesn't it?
Most cars when they get older have that issue. Large expensive components are rarely changed on older cars.

The batteries are recycled in the same factory in Sunderland that makes them. The cost of a new battery is about £5k that's about par with other new car engine replacements, not too bad I'd say.

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2016, 07:36   #14
Southcoast
Regular poster

Rover 75

Went to Amsterdam last year, you see the Tesla S everywhere, being used as taxis.
Apparently they are subsidised by the government.
Southcoast is offline   Reply With Quote