Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 25th July 2017, 19:15   #1
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

Default Upgrade jockey wheel?

Just a quick question, our caravan is currently fitted with the solid plastic jockey wheel, which seems to dig in to the gravel at the storage place. I was wondering if maybe it'd be better to swap it for a wheel with a tyre on it, as that would probably go over the gravel easier?

Any opinions?
bikerdude666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2017, 20:04   #2
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

Well, you never see a builders barrow with a solid wheel, so yes, get a blow up tyre on it. (I can't spell pnuematic)
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2017, 09:07   #3
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heddy View Post
Well, you never see a builders barrow with a solid wheel, so yes, get a blow up tyre on it. (I can't spell pnuematic)
I can spell it - Yes a pneumatic tyre is much better on soft surfaces like soft grass or loose pebbles etc., but they tend to puncture unless kept blown up.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2017, 19:19   #4
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

it may not fit into the forks of the ??? what ever its called. It will may also be a greater diameter and so sit lower but as others have said, much better.

As the 75 sits a bit low at the rear, replace the spindle spilt pin of the jockey wheel with a R clip. You can then remove spindle and wheel for towing. If storing for a long time, lift the jockey wheel and place a bit of wood under the base of the shaft. Let the shaft sit on the wood with wheel clear of ground, apparently stops it going out of shape.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2017, 19:40   #5
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
it may not fit into the forks of the ??? what ever its called. It will may also be a greater diameter and so sit lower but as others have said, much better.

As the 75 sits a bit low at the rear, replace the spindle spilt pin of the jockey wheel with a R clip. You can then remove spindle and wheel for towing. If storing for a long time, lift the jockey wheel and place a bit of wood under the base of the shaft. Let the shaft sit on the wood with wheel clear of ground, apparently stops it going out of shape.

macafee2
I long ago replaced the spindle split pin with an R clip, just to make it quicker to get the wheel out. I'm not convinced it matters all that much if that tyre goes out of shape, after all you will not be using it on the road, but if supported on a bit of wood and it loses pressure....

I am though concerned about UV attacking the tyre, so its a good idea to cover it to keep the sun off. Even more so the main two or four tyres. I'm lucky, my two are permanently in the shade, so no problem there and I make a point of moving it about occasionally to prevent them going out of shape.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2017, 20:04   #6
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

Thanks, hadn't thought of swapping the pin, when storing the van a known length of time it would be easy to park it up and swap it out for the solid plastic wheel.

As for the main tyres, the storage place is surrounded by hedges/trees, and theres only about 2 foot of space either side so should be fairly shaded most of the time. If not I can probably make up some sort of cover to go over them.

I'll measure the wheel tomorrow and then see about ordering one. Thanks.
bikerdude666 is offline   Reply With Quote