Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 25th August 2018, 15:46   #31
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Trident View Post
People who live in London should be excluded from these charges simply because they have no choice. I mean, if I choose to drive into London in my CDTi I would expect to pay, it would be my choice! But to force someone into selling their car is WRONG imho

Maybe the Mayor and his chronies will be introducing a grant scheme to rid London’s roads of these “ nasty anti-social machines that are the spawn of the devil “ ?

I think not, much easier to just slap extra taxes on those who cannot afford to buy the latest model vehicles.
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2018, 18:55   #32
Outlaw 41
Loves to post

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac61 View Post
Blue collar, (working class) tax, what nonsense!

The terms "blue collar" and "white collar" are occupational classifications that distinguish workers who perform manual labour from workers who perform professional jobs. Historically, blue-collar workers wore uniforms, usually blue, and worked in trade occupations. White-collar workers typically wore white shirts, and worked in office settings. Other aspects that distinguish blue-collar and white-collar workers include earnings and education level, i.e. white collar worker better educated and paid more. Today that is not necessarily the case as many "white collar" workers earn less than some "blue collar" workers

So they all pay tax and in my experience higher earners, ( white or blue collar) have more outgoings e.g. larger mortgages, more expensive cars, possibly school fees. So you can't say one type of worker worker may have more disposable income and be more able to pay than any other.
Thank you very much for the history lession, now for a maths lession! I used the term white and blue collar perhaps i should have said RICH and POOR . We all have to live and we can only live as far as our money can go .A poor family have little or no expendable cash so when the Mayor says that the car they have is going to cost them more to use they cant afford the extra tax and they cant afford a cleaner greener vehicle. So what are their options ? Money is stretched as far as they can go , they cant cut back on their out goings and they cant afford a social life so they cant cut back on that either . So the only option is to sell the car . Now this is the rich side ( are you following me so far ?) . They have a larger mortgage and more expensive cars and expendable cash . If they havent got expendable cash there are a few things that they can do . they can start with cutting down on meals out , not so many visits to the golf course , move to a smaller house or even out of London . But none of that will happen because they will be able to pay the increased tax or get a hybrid just for the novelty . Where i come from WHITE = RICH and BLUE = poor . And what the NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- hell do you mean by white collar workers are better educated !!!!! Having money does not make you intelligent it makes you fortunate . By the sound of it you drive a hybrid .
Outlaw 41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2018, 19:26   #33
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Well I like it. I'm asking for practical views and sympathy not views on London. Which is my country.
You do have my sympathy if you live in London, its a City by the way.
Old 25th August 2018, 21:55   #34
Rickoshea
Loves to post

Jaguar I Pace

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
You do have my sympathy if you live in London, its a City by the way.
Well the “City” is the part within the old Roman Walls, with Westminster as another city. The rest is a town.

On the topic of diesels, surely everyone must now accept that it was a complete disaster encourage people to buy these pollution machines and that they are particularly bad when driven in cities. After years of hand ringing and warnings something will actually happen in 3 years time to discourage them with a pollution charge in London. At this time the very newest Rovers will be 18 years old.

I don’t see why those living within London should be allowed to poison their neighbours without penalty whilst only those travelling in should pay for their pollution. I also don’t really understand why anyone in London needs a car. As already mentioned, the public transport in London is brilliant and for us old pensioners, completely free!

Our car does about 4,000 miles per year and that is mostly visiting our less fortunate friends who have to live beyond the reach of decent broadband and mobile signals that are bereft of clubs, pubs, restaurants with the only culture is to be found in blue cheese. On the positives, they do have more trees to look at!

Finally, natural gas is by far the cleanest fossil fuel with negligible particulates.
Old 25th August 2018, 22:16   #35
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

Now if the mayor really wanted to reduce road usage and pollution, how about free travel for ALL and not just those over 60.

And yes, I am over 60 ...
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2018, 00:03   #36
Artemis
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

ok no worries. x
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2018, 00:06   #37
Artemis
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

yes that's what we think
Old 26th August 2018, 00:12   #38
Artemis
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

I can't see any 75s or Jag S types or XJ6s that meet Euro 6. OK one late XJ does but it is a bit over the top.
Old 26th August 2018, 00:14   #39
Artemis
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

yes it is but to us it's more like a country.. not happy people having a pop at it. feel more patriotic to London than UK at the moment
Old 26th August 2018, 00:21   #40
Artemis
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

you both make good points .