Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 3rd July 2017, 17:07   #81
howardf
Regular poster

ROVER 75 SALOON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenrex View Post
Replaced regulator with the one that Howard sent, so far so good.....Thanks Howard
Result!👍
Glad it worked out for you.... One of my slip rings was too far gone...might fit new slip rings and keep it as a spare in case the RTX alternator I fitted packs in.
howardf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2017, 10:10   #82
Spenrex
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
Did you inspect the depth of the wear groove in both slip rings?
I did Jules, I don't suspect that this will be a long term fix but they looked OK for now, Im not sure how deep they can get before they become ineffective.
Old 5th August 2017, 17:20   #83
BigJohn
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Getting the alternator cover back on.

Following this excellent how to I have replaced the regulator pack and the charge light goes out over 1500 rpm, I'm hoping it's just the brushes bedding in ? With my big hands I struggled a few times, one tip I'll add is that I held the regulator in place with a stiff strip of cardboard that I'd cut a square hole in that slipped over the 2/3 pin connector, that made positioning it and putting the bolts back a lot easier.

I have two questions I'd be grateful if someone could shed any light on:

I struggled to get the alternator cover off and have been defeated getting it back, has anyone got any tips on getting it back ? as it seems whatever I do the regulator pack and or oil filter get in the way. I was thinking of putting the cover in hot water to make it more pliable.

I will cause any damage running the car without this cover on ? I realise that the cover is there for a reason,but is it just to keeping crud of the regulator ?

Finally thanks to all those that contributed to this post, I don't normally attempt DIY repairs but feel chuffed with myself at the moment, even more so if I can get the cover back on and the charge light goes out at idle

Last edited by BigJohn; 5th August 2017 at 17:21.. Reason: Typo
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2017, 21:00   #84
Jules
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE Twilight and 10 other 75 ZT's :O

Thanked 1,116 Times in 763 Posts

Slip rings probably worn.
Did you check them carefully?

Any white colouring is the white plastic shaft they sit on showing through which reduces the output

Newbies do now!!
1. Plenum drains..all 3 or 4 year dependent
2. Cooling fan..All speeds functioning
3. Bonnet cable divider block
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2017, 21:44   #85
BigJohn
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
Slip rings probably worn.
Did you check them carefully?

Any white colouring is the white plastic shaft they sit on showing through which reduces the output
Hi Jules, the slip rings looked in good condition, there was no plastic showing through and the original brushes weren't that worn down but then my car has only done 60,000.

I take it my idea of brushes bedding in was too optimistic? I've only taken it for about a 3 mile run and the charge light no goes off at about 1250 rpm.

Any thoughts on the cover ?

Thanks

John
Old 6th August 2017, 06:19   #86
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Did the brushes have an angle to them? Is there a chance you put them in wrong way around?

They may bed down if thats all it is, but the light usually goes straight out. Working with it on the car it is not so easy to inspect the rings properly, you could have a wear groove. If the alternator has had an oil bath you might only see black and copper.

60k miles is a bit low to need new brushes. Mine lasted till around 170k, was the alternator ok before you changed them?

Im also confused why you are struggling to get the cover on. Are you sure you have the correct regulator pack?
David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2017, 07:26   #87
BigJohn
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Lawrence View Post
Did the brushes have an angle to them? Is there a chance you put them in wrong way around?

They may bed down if thats all it is, but the light usually goes straight out. Working with it on the car it is not so easy to inspect the rings properly, you could have a wear groove. If the alternator has had an oil bath you might only see black and copper.

60k miles is a bit low to need new brushes. Mine lasted till around 170k, was the alternator ok before you changed them?

Im also confused why you are struggling to get the cover on. Are you sure you have the correct regulator pack?
Hi David,

The brushes were pre-installed in a new regulator pack I got from DMRS, and are curved equally to match the slip rings. I struggled with clearance getting the cover off originally with the clearance available, mine is the later YLE0000260 120 amp alternator, I don't know if that is longer/bigger and reduces clearance ?

The brushes on the old pack still had a fair bit of life left in them. I'd gone down the line of replacing the regulator in the hope that had failed, before the expensive job of replacing the alternator, as that is way beyond my ability.

My alternator had been fine up until when it failed suddenly 2 months ago, the charge light came on, flickered on/off for about a mile then stayed on ! Ill health had prevented me attempting the regulator change until now. Whilst I noticed a slight weep from the PAS pump the alternator itself was relatively clean with the end cover having what I'd describe as a very light coating of dry crud.

I'm going to take it for a 15 mile drive this morning to see if things improve re charge light.

Any thoughts welcome
Old 16th April 2018, 23:43   #88
jmdh

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
Hi David,

The brushes were pre-installed in a new regulator pack I got from DMRS, and are curved equally to match the slip rings. I struggled with clearance getting the cover off originally with the clearance available, mine is the later YLE0000260 120 amp alternator, I don't know if that is longer/bigger and reduces clearance ?

The brushes on the old pack still had a fair bit of life left in them. I'd gone down the line of replacing the regulator in the hope that had failed, before the expensive job of replacing the alternator, as that is way beyond my ability.

My alternator had been fine up until when it failed suddenly 2 months ago, the charge light came on, flickered on/off for about a mile then stayed on ! Ill health had prevented me attempting the regulator change until now. Whilst I noticed a slight weep from the PAS pump the alternator itself was relatively clean with the end cover having what I'd describe as a very light coating of dry crud.

I'm going to take it for a 15 mile drive this morning to see if things improve re charge light.

Any thoughts welcome
Did this ever improve for you? I replaced with a dmgrs kit today, slips rings looked to be all copper still... https://photos.app.goo.gl/Uv1NfK4pukWasuos1

Initial performance on the drive home was similar to yours, started out needing 2k to turn off the charge light, was down to 1k by the after a few miles of running. Hoping it will 'bed in' as you did...
jmdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2018, 12:41   #89
Jules
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE Twilight and 10 other 75 ZT's :O

Thanked 1,116 Times in 763 Posts

Those slip rings look well worn !!

Newbies do now!!
1. Plenum drains..all 3 or 4 year dependent
2. Cooling fan..All speeds functioning
3. Bonnet cable divider block
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2018, 17:24   #90
jmdh

Rover 75 Tourer

Thanks Jules, that is helpful - other than not seeing the plastic underneath I wasn't sure what to look for in worn slip rings. The car has 165,000 on the clock so that is perhaps not too surprising.

So I guess the plan is limp along until I can get a new alternator fitted. Not sure if I will be brave enough to take that on myself so may be a garage job.

Incidentally - brushes were almost completely gone! https://photos.app.goo.gl/5DhoEpjB8lLSgFv02

Last edited by jmdh; 17th April 2018 at 17:26..
jmdh is offline   Reply With Quote