Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th May 2020, 19:27   #31
mbev51
Banned

Removed

Hi, I'm getting concerned that we are going to pay for coming out of lockdown too early. I think from a purely health point of view we came our at least 3 weeks too early. I fear we will pay for that within a few weeks, those temporary hospitals may yet be needed.
mbev51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2020, 22:16   #32
DRWMGTF
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.0 CDT Connoisseur, Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 1.8 Connoisseur SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbev51 View Post
Hi, I'm getting concerned that we are going to pay for coming out of lockdown too early. I think from a purely health point of view we came our at least 3 weeks too early. I fear we will pay for that within a few weeks, those temporary hospitals may yet be needed.
Let's hope not!
DRWMGTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2020, 05:40   #33
mbev51
Banned

Removed

The scientific advice seems to have been ignored. The economic argument seems to have won. Only time will tell.
mbev51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2020, 11:00   #34
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Quote:
The scientific advice seems to have been ignored. The economic argument seems to have won. Only time will tell.
As per. Wouldn’t expect anything else from this useless lot.
Old 1st June 2020, 02:10   #35
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
I have to disagree, there is little point in delaying a return to work and if there were ever a time to do this from a medical point of view, then doing it when other seasonal nasties are at their lowest makes perfect sense.

The people most affected financially, are paradoxically the least affected medically by the virus.........not much point in having our children and their children saddled with a bill for decades to come, when they have little or no prospect of securing gainful employment.

As to scientific advise, I feel we have been well and truly led down the garden path in regards to that
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2020, 11:34   #36
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

In the main, the scientists whose views and opinions have been adopted are the ones that suited the predetermined narrative.

It's an odd world in the first place when learned boffins, educated at the same or similar traditional temples of wisdom come up with conflicting ideas following their adoption by various commercial enterprises.

The faculties and laboratories they inhabit and in which they conduct their experiments are probably a better identifier of the path they will follow.

Hence the predictable and eternal public argument over methods to resolve issues.

Headline news today; two and a half million cancer treatments have been missed due to the pressure for Covid beds. Not to mention the effect that will have on future presentation of suspected cases.

I may be considered contra-flow here but that seems to me entirely the wrong approach. By far the greater effect is borne by the economy and the knock-on damage to future prospects to huge numbers of innocent people. To suggest a realignment of priorities is viewed as heretical. It does not in fact show any such thing. It is an indication that priorities are not for the reasons put out by governments.

Last edited by wraymond; 1st June 2020 at 11:48..
wraymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2020, 12:34   #37
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
In the main, the scientists whose views and opinions have been adopted are the ones that suited the predetermined narrative.

It's an odd world in the first place when learned boffins, educated at the same or similar traditional temples of wisdom come up with conflicting ideas following their adoption by various commercial enterprises.

The faculties and laboratories they inhabit and in which they conduct their experiments are probably a better identifier of the path they will follow.

Hence the predictable and eternal public argument over methods to resolve issues.

Headline news today; two and a half million cancer treatments have been missed due to the pressure for Covid beds. Not to mention the effect that will have on future presentation of suspected cases.

I may be considered contra-flow here but that seems to me entirely the wrong approach. By far the greater effect is borne by the economy and the knock-on damage to future prospects to huge numbers of innocent people. To suggest a realignment of priorities is viewed as heretical. It does not in fact show any such thing. It is an indication that priorities are not for the reasons put out by governments.
That last paragraph encapsulates perfectly the problem we now face.

We have for almost three months had it repeatedly drummed into us that we face a deadly virus that will in all likelihood cause you major damage if you are unfortunate enough to contract it.

As a result of this many people are understandably anxious if not downright petrified, and Chinese whispers abound, everyone knows someone who has had it, the bloke from the corner shop who's aunt's friend from the bridge club who is married to the chap who walks his dog by the canal who has died from coronavirus.

Of course in the main people do not die from this, they die with it, and therein lies the problem.

There is so much misinformation about the virus, obfuscated by those with vested interest abound, but the real tragedy lies in the fact other conditions equally if not more perilous to health are being sidelined in the manufactured panic.

What will bring a sense of proportion to the headline figures, are when widespread antibody testing is introduced, and it is "discovered" that many more people than previously thought have been infected, and contrary to the sensationalist reports, gone on to make a full recovery, or indeed identify people who are totally asymptomatic.

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2020, 15:02   #38
DRWMGTF
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.0 CDT Connoisseur, Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 1.8 Connoisseur SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPWC View Post
As per. Wouldn’t expect anything else from this useless lot.
Would the alternative be any better?
DRWMGTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2020, 17:13   #39
mileshawk56
Posted a thing or two

MGZT

In this situation there is no way to know which is better or worse, could be lots more people die could be many fewer- only hindsight knows the answer. Chris.S.
mileshawk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2020, 18:09   #40
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
I wonder how many of the “we’ve come out too soon “ brigade have been on full pay or full pensions whilst the rest of the workforce have been furloughed or made redundant?

If lockdown were to continue would they consider that a 20% reduction in state pension payments be reasonable ?
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote