Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 26th May 2020, 07:43   #21
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

As others have said - Jack under either front jacking point will raise that entire side of the car. Jack under a rear jacking point, due to weight distribution, will lift the entire rear end.

Another way to lift the entire rear end, is to jack it under the tow bar.

Lifting either side, or the rear is an easy thing to do, but what I struggle more with is jacking the entire front of the car up. I have a garage type jack, but its still doesn't have the reach, to get under the front to the central jacking point under the engine, due to the front skirt. The only way, is to drive it up on ramps, then lift it off the ramps with the jack.

A few years ago, I treated myself to an '240v hydraulic fork lift'. This has a fork designed to lift a car by being pushed under a wheel tyre, or with a pad fitted on the forks, to jack under a sill, of the tow bar. Its great for providing a safe high lift, it lifts up to a metre in the air at the press of a button. It has the same limitation as my jack, in that I can lift either side, or the entire rear end, but not the entire front due to its limited reach.

So, no need at all for a lifting beam, to raise one side, just jack it under a front jacking point.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2020, 09:36   #22
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
... I have a garage type jack, but its still doesn't have the reach, to get under the front to the central jacking point under the engine, due to the front skirt. ....
You mean it can't do this? (5th pic down) https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=105302
Blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2020, 11:30   #23
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink View Post
You mean it can't do this? (5th pic down) https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=105302
That is the aluminium version of my trolley jack, and I'd never use the front "jacking" point as there is far too much risk of the car slipping off the jack.

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2020, 12:01   #24
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
That is the aluminium version of my trolley jack, and I'd never use the front "jacking" point as there is far too much risk of the car slipping off the jack.

Brian
I only use the central points if the wheels are on and I always use one of those slotted rubber pads - they're a good fit on the metal hoop/eye thing.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/WINOMO-Universal-Slotted-Rubber-Protector/dp/B06ZYTF44Q/ref=sr_1_11?dchild=1&keywords=jacking+pad&qid=1590 494320&sr=8-11

This is only to get the sleepers under.
Old 26th May 2020, 12:09   #25
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

These are the pads I actually bought - they're very tough rubber.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MXF1JJX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 26th May 2020, 19:35   #26
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink View Post
No, or at least it cannot lift my car from being sat on the ground. I can get it under the central jacking point, but it is 2 or 3" too far in, to be able to pump the handle. The front wheels need to raised around 4" up, before I can pump the handle. I can let it down to the ground, with the jack, because I can hold the handle horizontal and twist it to release.

I bought it long before I got the 75 and it worked with my then car just fine.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

Old 26th May 2020, 19:37   #27
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post

Brian
I never jack metal to metal. I made a pad for the cup of my jack, it avoids slippage and scraping paint.

Old 26th May 2020, 19:47   #28
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
I never jack metal to metal. I made a pad for the cup of my jack, it avoids slippage and scraping paint.
Harry my jack has a rubber pad in the cup, and I still won't entertain jacking the car from the centre of the car regardless, it is just too unstable for my liking.

I never jack metal to metal, I tend to have a piece of 4x2 as I pictured earlier, and there is no problem with doing it that way.

18 months ago I treated myself to a lovely new 2 post lift.......sadly the thieving liar I'd been duped into thinking was my friend, sold it for £500

Still I much prefer working outdoors on my back

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2020, 07:09   #29
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

That thing from CJ looks really good, and not even expensive.

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s

Last edited by Mike Trident; 28th May 2020 at 07:14..
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2020, 10:15   #30
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Trident View Post
That thing from CJ looks really good, and not even expensive.
This is a similar, though not so high, idea to what I have in my garage-

https://cjautosheywood.co.uk/product...car-lift-cl08/

Push a button and up she goes