Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 25th December 2013, 23:18   #61
JZMG

MG ZT-T

Does this affect all models?
JZMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2013, 23:48   #62
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZMG View Post
Does this affect all models?
I'm not 100% sure about the v8 but certainly all other models 75 and ZT are affected, I don't see why the v8 would be any different.

Get checking, and then add the spyhole mod, and either Jules' plenum guard, some mesh, or aquarium foam to help keep the debris out of the plenum.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2013, 00:31   #63
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by George7 View Post
I've been meaning to get round to doing this for quite a while. I think if my 190 passes its MOT tomorrow, I'll go and buy the bits needed and get it done. Hopefully it's not too bad as I can't hear any sloshing when driving, but I'm a bit worried nonetheless.
Hi George.
Did your car pass it's mot? and did you check the plenums, if not i suggest you do asap, also anyother member whom as not checked theirs, click the link, maybe the mods want to make a sticky of the reason why link ?
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...t=plenum+check

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2013, 01:03   #64
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Hi George.
Did your car pass it's mot? and did you check the plenums, if not i suggest you do asap, also any other member who as not checked theirs, click the link, maybe the mods want to make a sticky of the reason why link ?
As per your request Steve the above link has been stuck With the recent precipitation it is a good idea

Thread title slightly amended

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Last edited by Dragrad; 26th December 2013 at 01:40..
Dragrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2013, 11:17   #65
JZMG

MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
I'm not 100% sure about the v8 but certainly all other models 75 and ZT are affected, I don't see why the v8 would be any different.

Get checking, and then add the spyhole mod, and either Jules' plenum guard, some mesh, or aquarium foam to help keep the debris out of the plenum.

Thanks for the reply Avulon!

It seems like a bizarre problem. The ECU is placed in the bottom of a bucket that collects water!

Sorry I wasn't clearer when I posted. When I said all models what I really meant was all years. I ask as I have a 2005 ZT-T 1.8. So it seemed odd that when making slight changes to the model that they wouldnt have either moved the ECU or at least provided better drainage. Surely these cars were just stopping on the road all over the place by the sound of this problem?

I have had mine for 4 weeks and though it has absolutely bucketed down in the last few weeks, I hear no sloshing and as much as I read this thread and look at the pics, I am still not really sure where Im supposed to be looking......Any experianced plenum drainers near Wilts?

Anyway, Merry Christmas to y'all

John
JZMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2014, 13:58   #66
George7
Regular poster

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Hi George.
Did your car pass it's mot? and did you check the plenums, if not i suggest you do asap, also anyother member whom as not checked theirs, click the link, maybe the mods want to make a sticky of the reason why link ?
It did pass Now that Christmas and New Years is out of the way, I ought to stop being lazy and get on with doing this. I've had a look around the house and shed and can't find anything which is long enough to unblock (I was looking for a long drillbit but couldn't find anything longer than approximately 12 inches, apparently you need something at least 24 inches long to unblock the whole thing?) so I bought a drain unblocker from eBay. Hopefully it'll arrive by the end of the week and I'll do the plenums at the weekend.
Old 7th January 2014, 16:37   #67
MF1980
Loves to post

MG ZT190+ No.5863

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZMG View Post
Any experianced plenum drainers near Wilts?

Anyway, Merry Christmas to y'all

John

Where in Wilts are you?
MF1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2014, 10:18   #68
fusilier50
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDTi

i only checked the drains a few weeks ago and the spur of the moment just had a look. after all i had only advised a new owner of one of our great cars to do it as a matter of urgency a few days ago.

To my horror found them blocked with debris with about 4 inches of water in there.

I'm now going to check them once a week minimum until i use one of the remedies ive discovered on here
fusilier50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2014, 11:05   #69
Woof25
Passed Away

Rover 75 Saloon CDti Se A

Well for emergencies a old wire coat coat cut to length and ends bent over so doesnt jam anywhere will do nicely, but for longer term can I reccemend the fishtank foam I suggested in a earlier post cut to shappe it allows water access freely but stops leaves etc dead in their tracks. I have had mine in for over a year now with no problem in ECU area at all I would suggest washing to foam minimum once a year to get rid of the fine
dust etc that gets lodged in it. Hope thats of some help to you
Woof25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2014, 17:54   #70
George7
Regular poster

MG ZT

Did mine today, and as expected, the drain was blocked and there was a decent amount of water in there. I tried to use the drain cleaner I'd bought from eBay, but it was too flexible to penetrate the first level of gunk. I managed to find a small and thin metal pole which got through the first layer. The water started pouring out at a reasonable rate:

I then got my drain cleaner, which I could now insert all the way down (and further) and once I'd done this, the water really started pouring out. The most difficult bit was putting the plenum cover back. I think I'll do the spyhole mod next time I check them.

Glad I've got it out of the way with, with all the recent rain I was getting a bit worried, and rightly so given the amount of water which came out!