Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > The Valeting Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 31st October 2014, 15:25   #1
Grumpy1
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 2.5 2001 Royal Blue Connoissuer Auto Saloon

Question 'Greased Lightning' waterless wash.

Used this for the first time today after okay opinions from some members. Manufacturers claim a time of 40 minutes to do the job. Took me 55 but I am a very arthritic 74 year old, so a younger, fitter user may well be able to complete the job in 40. There are some 'before' and 'after' pictures below. Hope you can tell the difference. It looks shiny, but I wonder how much of that is down to the many coats of Meguiars Gold Class Premium Liquid Wax already on the car? Only time will tell how long the shine will last. They also claim that a 1ltr bottle will clean up to 10 cars. Children's pedal cars maybe, definitely not Rover 75's! I'll be lucky to get another two cleans from it and at £15 a bottle, that's quite expensive! I had trouble getting an acceptable spray pattern from the nozzle. It was either a very fine mist, which the wind blew everywhere, or a high powered jet, which put copius amounts in a very small area! I'm going to have a go at cleaning the nozzle before I use it again. I would be interested to learn from other users how many cleans they get from a bottle.

Chad.

Oh no! Not DRLs! Yes, I can open the bonnet.
Grumpy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2014, 15:29   #2
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

I used to use it Chad, but sprayed it on the cloth, rather than the car As a quick detailer, not bad, but expensive Prefer Demon Shine, but I now use Sonax
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2014, 15:33   #3
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

I'd best put this in the Valeting section
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2014, 15:33   #4
freddie
Passed Away

75 cdti connoisseur se saloon

Thanked 1,921 Times in 1,345 Posts

My god how much did you put on.
You only need a fine spray have used this for a couple of years .
Im always cleaning mine as some people will know getv at least 20 polishes from mine.

LADY IN RED
freddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2014, 16:08   #5
Jabawoki
Banned

Rover 75 Connie SE, MG ZT 133 CDTi & MG ZT+ 190 Typhoon

I swear by Greased Lightening / Showroom Shine. It takes me 40 minutes to do the ZT & my 75 :-)

I do this waterless every week for 3 weeks, then visit my Rumanian friends at the hand car wash on week 4, then use the GL again.

Have recently converted to Williams Waterless. It doesn't leave as much white residue, but it is harder to get off - required more downward pressure. Undecided as to which one I like best.
Jabawoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2014, 16:21   #6
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

I have been a fan of Greased Lightening for a couple of years. It certainly goes further if you spray it onto a cloth (microfibre), and I use more if the car is dirty rather than dusty, but I can do about 8 cars from a bottle. If you have a QD Stores near you, they do two I litre bottles for £19.99, or you can order direct from the website, where it is £34.99 for a gallon (US unfortunately = 3.48 litres). They usually have offers and I stock up when it is £30.00 per gallon, which still comes post free by courier the next day.

Many of my cars live outside, and I find rain beads well for about 6 weeks. The speed and ease of operation (about 25 mins per car) means that I don't mind polishing regularly. Also fills in swirl marks very well.
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2014, 16:25   #7
johnnyb44

Rover 75

Hi
I've been looking at this stuff for a while now but never liked the idea of it. Today though I've taken the plunge and bought some. £13 for a one litre bottle from a shop were my wife works ( we get 20% off )
I will let you know my verdict tomorrow after I've put it through its paces.
Johnny
Old 2nd November 2014, 13:31   #8
johnnyb44

Rover 75

Hi.
I have to admit i was really impressed with this stuff after giving my car the once over with it.
The results are quite impressive.
Johnny
Old 22nd November 2014, 15:56   #9
johnnyb44

Rover 75

After giving the car the once over a few more times now i can says it really does perform well. One down side though is it doesn't like being used through the squeezy trigger bottle. They just seem to break and stop pumping the product through. I've gone through 3 trigger sprays bottle ( including the original ) so the next one I've bought is a small 3 ltr pressure pump one from wilkos. Hopefully this type will work better than the cheap and nasty trigger ones.

Last edited by johnnyb44; 22nd November 2014 at 15:58..
johnnyb44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2014, 20:16   #10
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb44 View Post
After giving the car the once over a few more times now i can says it really does perform well. One down side though is it doesn't like being used through the squeezy trigger bottle. They just seem to break and stop pumping the product through. I've gone through 3 trigger sprays bottle ( including the original ) so the next one I've bought is a small 3 ltr pressure pump one from wilkos. Hopefully this type will work better than the cheap and nasty trigger ones.
I generally spray it onto the microfibre cloth, or just pour straight from the bottle by putting the cloth over the top - no waste that way.
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote