Notices

Old 23rd June 2019, 08:20   #11
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
A friend of SWMBO has just bought a new Mini, she asked the salesman to show her around the car and one of her questions was ''where is the dipstick''? The reply was '' there is no dipstick''. Apparently it will tell her if it needs oil or water. The best bit is she will need to bring it into the dealer if it does as you need a special tool to top either of these up.

How is that going to work when this car reaches the used car market in a few years?

I guess (hope) it'll mean that the price will fall through the floor - assuming there are any left that haven't blown up due to a lack of oil or warped heads etc. from a lack of coolant.

But as far as the dealer is concerned, who cares? They're selling loads of new ones on PCP with that great selling point.....it "never" needs any sort of "hands on" checking. We'll do that for you sir/madam when the car tells you it needs doing .

Andy.
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2019, 08:44   #12
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

I think this is a brilliant idea, techs in a main dealer environment are working with cutting edge technology and can’t possibly know everything about every system fitted. How many people have started a job only to become stuck by a hidden screw or bolt? Some manufacturers Instructional data can be poor so using technology in this way doing new procedures is a step forward.

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2019, 12:22   #13
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
A friend of SWMBO has just bought a new Mini, she asked the salesman to show her around the car and one of her questions was ''where is the dipstick''? The reply was '' there is no dipstick''. Apparently it will tell her if it needs oil or water. The best bit is she will need to bring it into the dealer if it does as you need a special tool to top either of these up.

How is that going to work when this car reaches the used car market in a few years?
Monitored by sensors, and we all know sensors fail right.

I cant help but think the car manufacture is purposely taking away the owners ability to maintain their own vehicle, steering everything towards main dealer servicing.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2019, 13:02   #14
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

In the event of possible routine service dates being missed there will be an auto reminder on the dash of impending doom and destruction should the FINAL warning be ignored, irrespective of the owners' (or non-dealership) capability.

Owners will be able to buy on a well known web site an instrument that will delete any warnings and reset dates and mileage elapsed. Cars will be rented, on tax exempt terms, with guaranteed trade in values in exchange for new vehicles. Electric, of course. Ownership will be retained by the dealership supplier to maintain market penetration. Exactly who will be penetrated and how is a matter of conjecture.

Last edited by wraymond; 23rd June 2019 at 13:05..
wraymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2019, 13:04   #15
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Responding to consumer demand, everything available on a single electronic screen.

Are oil level sensors not particularly reliable ?

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2019, 16:29   #16
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Its safe to say the modern day motorist doesn't want/or have the skill to check or carry out their own vehicle maintenance, in some cases the car manufacturer may look upon this as a potential warranty claim issue, due to careless ownership.

Plus if these manufacturers want to copyright their vehicles to stop owners working on their own car, stop modifications, modifying suspension, ECUs and any changes to software that could lead to vulnerabilities in vehicle safety. We could suggest this is already being implemented in today's modern vehicle, hence the owner responsibility being phased out of certain tasks.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2019, 20:06   #17
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

And how may I ask are garages supposed to make money if they no longer have home mechanics who have shot Themselves in the foot ??----
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2019, 22:00   #18
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

A work mate had a Mercedes with his last job, the service indicator told him it was due but the chap in charge of vehicles told him ''not to bother'' as they got rid of there cars at 18 months and it would not be a problem

A couple of weeks later the screen came up with a bigger warning that it was overdue and some warnings.

Two days later and about 3000 miles over due it service a warning flashed up and it went into limp mode, he was on a motorway stuck doing 30mph with as much power as a moped.

He rung his manager and was told to limp the car back to the office, it was booked into a local garage ( non Mercedes) and the car was returned as they could not service it ( SPECIAL TOOLS REQUIRED).

If this is what we have to come it will see a lot of perfectly good cars going to scrap as the cost of keeping them on the road will be more that the average person can afford.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2019, 06:53   #19
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by topman View Post
Responding to consumer demand, everything available on a single electronic screen.

Are oil level sensors not particularly reliable ?
When fuel injection first became available, those who fiddled with carburettors moaned endlessly in magazines about potential problems with sensors etc. Do we see many fuel injection systems suffering issues?

P.S Anyone remember the first widely available aftermarket fuel injection system by Tubantor - it cost £400 in the laterseventies!
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2019, 07:27   #20
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
When fuel injection first became available, those who fiddled with carburettors moaned endlessly in magazines about potential problems with sensors etc. Do we see many fuel injection systems suffering issues?

That's the sort of thing i was thinking of or perhaps people wanting wind up windows instead of electric when they first came out. Now who wants wind up windows?

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote