Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 26th December 2019, 11:11   #1
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Default Water on the boot lid seal near the hinge

I have water entering the boot over the boot lid seal somehow.

Just by the drivers side boot hinge the seal is wet there, which then runs down and drips behind the wheel arch on to the bit of carpet on the right hand side of the floor board.

The seal appears in good condition, i cant see why this is happening. Any clues?
David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2019, 12:08   #2
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Hi David, I spent weeks chasing the same leak. My observations were, the boot seal has air holes in it, so when you close the lid, it lets out air and prevents the lid bouncing, I sealed the hole nearest the leak.
Also, I had a rip in the window seal near the top, discovered water was getting in through the clip, down the window inside the boot lid, dripping down into the boot. Sealed with Captain Tolley's along the top, sealant underneath, and now, touch wood, all dry.
If MG/Rover made submarines eh
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2019, 12:36   #3
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
Hi David, I spent weeks chasing the same leak. My observations were, the boot seal has air holes in it, so when you close the lid, it lets out air and prevents the lid bouncing, I sealed the hole nearest the leak.
Also, I had a rip in the window seal near the top, discovered water was getting in through the clip, down the window inside the boot lid, dripping down into the boot. Sealed with Captain Tolley's along the top, sealant underneath, and now, touch wood, all dry.
If MG/Rover made submarines eh
I dont really see how it gets in to the seal. I have given it a squeeze around that hole, there doesnt seem to be any water inside it. The boot lid is wet all around the edges, which looks like condensation, but just this one damp spot on the carpet. Curious why it just wants to escape through the seal in that one place. I wonder if the wiring tube has an effect as i cant see how that is sitting when the boot is closed, maybe its pressing against the seal somewhere near
Old 26th December 2019, 15:28   #4
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

I have cleaned all around the gutter area, which was full of pine needles and dirt, then i removed the seal. There was a build up of dirt all the way under the lip of the seal, so I cleaned all that away, washed the seal out as well, then applied wax polish all around the gutter in the hope that if the rain runs out of the gutter faster it wont track around the seal and in to the boot. Time will tell.
Old 12th January 2020, 20:16   #5
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

Thumbs down Leaking New boot seal.

On my MG ZT saloon I had fitted a brand new boot seal since I'd done everything else. I resented the extra £50 even more when I still had water in the boot.
Long story, short version. The boot seal is badly designed and even a new seal often fails (in my opinion now) to keep water out of the boot. If the boot lid doesn't compress the seal evenly it flows over the top, but worse it can flow under the seal just below the rear screen, track down and then emerge on the boot side lower down.
I applied silicone sealant to my brand new boot seal along the entire fitting surface. since then, no more water in my boot.
The underlay sponge was dried out first by lots of towels and then by putting scrap wood spacers under the felt/carpets to raise them and leaving a small dehumidifier in the car. Takes a few days of persistence and is much easier in the summer or a dry garage of course.
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2020, 18:47   #6
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Sometimes, just sometimes a coating of wax polish does the trick.--
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2020, 23:23   #7
janker
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon & MGZT 190

Hi David
Ive recentley had this problem and cured it after lots of sealing everything that these cars suffer from in the boot area,My problem was the hinges on the boot itself ,The hinges felt good when the boot was fully open no play but when i close it down half way and put up and down pressure on the hinges i could see and hear some movement one hand under the back of boot against the window and lift it up movement if you know what i mean,So what was happening with mine was the boot would close perfect putting pressure on the boot seal but as there was play in the hinges up and down even after it had closed the boot didnt seal it allowed water over the top of the seal.
I brought these from Rimmers real bargain at £7.20 each https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-BMB500030

Just make sure you buy a lefthand and righthand one if you order sorted my leak.

My New Addition
MGZT 190 Trophy Blue 2001 Petrol.
janker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2020, 19:17   #8
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Well, after 5 weeks away from the car with quite a bit of rain falling in the meantime I returned to a dry boot. Looks like the build up of fallen pine needles around the gutter and around the seal were to blame. After cleaning and polishing the whole area with wax polish it is now dry.
Old 26th January 2020, 23:20   #9
robeire
Avid contributor

Rover 75 tourer 131bhp

hi ,
i had to remove the hinge as it was leaking where the bolts are, as well as

the rear lights/ the side chrome strip on both sides silicone done the trick
and the badge emblem is a ship how ironic
i have pic post some wear on the site of the damage the leaks done to my car .

rob