Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 20th December 2018, 11:42   #1
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool Redfive will be going........................

................................................. On our last mini tour of the U.K. for 2018.

Going to be a bit of an emotional trip for me this one. As I get to lay flowers at my late brothers last resting place in Chichester Sussex. (It's his birthday today). I only know the name of the cemetery but have no idea if there is a plaque or rose bush in his name.

We will be leaving in the early hours of tomorrow morning for our trip to England, going first to Sussex then back up to London. Staying with Michael in Totteridge. Saturday see's me travelling over to Enfield to collect my friend Emma then we are off up to Earls Colne, near Colchester, to visit our God daughter Kirra.
Then back to Enfield to drop Emma off and back to Michaels, we have a table booked at the Orange Tree, up on Totteridge Common, for dinner.

Sunday will see me at another cemetery as the 23rd is when the Angels came for my Val.
Then I'll travelling to my friends place in the Darenth Valley for Christmas. The plan is then to stay there till the 27th then return to Michaels. We will then return home on the 29th.

So Redfive has been filled up with go faster juice, tyres checked along with the oil and water. Screen wash topped up and the car given a quick clean.
Our journey going should be a bit different from the normal route. A38-M5-A30-A35-M27-A27 gets us to Sussex. Then from there I'm not sure which road I'll take to head towards London as I may pop into MJS at Littlehampton and say hello, not been there for over a year. Anyway at some point I'll end up on the Car Park. Through the hole in the wall and around to the Potters Bar junction and find my way to Michaels.

So should you see us at some point over the next 8 days don't forget to wave, toot or flash those restored lights.
You may notice that from time to time I slip a few forum names into my report. Like Warp Factor "Actros", it's just a bit of fun and to say Thank You to my avid readers.
I'll keep the diary running as we have quite a following.

Starting mileage is 156,114.

Key-
Warp Factor Harrisop50 is 50mph. Although I know Peter travels a bit faster than that where applicable.
Warp Factor 3 is my interpretation of the legal limit, 70mph, with a bit extra from time to time where applicable.
Warp Factor Actros is when we hit 3 figures without any decimal point breaking the numbers up.

Car Park is another name for the M25.
Hole in the wall is the Dartford Tunnel.
Ski Jump is the Dartford bridge.

233,320. New rear tyres on order for BBB.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2018, 12:14   #2
Scaramanga
I really should get out more.......

Firefrost 75 CDTi Conn SE manual Tourer

Im liking the 'warp factor' talk

Although a sad tour, im sure you'll enjoy the driving part, whatever warp factor you'll be travelling at
3. Midnight Blue 2.5 V6 auto Saloon- 'The 5th Gear Car' - Now owned by another forum member
4. Firefrost CDTi manual Tourer
Lee

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Scaramanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2018, 04:27   #3
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool Change of plan.................

.................................... Now travelling direct to Michaels in North London. I have a very rare opportunity to meet some friends whom I have not seen since they packed their bags and went over the pond to Canada in 1978. They have been back a few times but I've never been around to meet up, but now I have.

As I'll be in Kent over Christmas I'll be able to go to Chichester on the 27th before returning to Michaels.

So we will be leaving Saltash around 7 am this morning and going up the A38-M5-M4-CarPark and down the A1. So don't forget to wave toot or flash should you see us.

onen hag oll
Old 21st December 2018, 06:48   #4
Scaramanga
I really should get out more.......

Firefrost 75 CDTi Conn SE manual Tourer

Safe journey Bob!
3. Midnight Blue 2.5 V6 auto Saloon- 'The 5th Gear Car' - Now owned by another forum member
4. Firefrost CDTi manual Tourer
Lee

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Scaramanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2018, 13:53   #5
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool Now there’s something you don’t see......................

.............................................. everyday, a Ford Transit flashing it’s lights to get a Porsche to move out of the way on the M4. Mind you having those blue lights lighting up your car did seem to have the desired effect, eventually. The Porsche was last seen on the hard shoulder with the Ford Transit. Must be friends, by now.

Loaded Redfive up at 06.00 this morning. Tea and toast for me, tablets to be taken before leaving. Finally left about 06.45 in the rain. Across the Tamar bridge, topped up my tag last week, so no stopping. Soon we was motoring at Warp Factor 3. It stopped raining, but there was still quite a bit of spray about but Redfive kept her head.
No hold ups and we was soon past Exeter and onto the M5. Traffic was heavy, especially with the big wheelers. Heard on the valve radio thingy that there was trouble at ter mill, best said in a Yorkshire accent, on the M25. Still a long way to go yet.

Bristol was soon past and we was on the M4, now able to turn the wick up a bit on the diesel allowing the elastic band to release some of it’s power. But just as I did I could see the blues of a emergency vehicle catching me up. Turned out to be the Transit chasing the Porsche. But you can never be too careful these days.
Bladder was letting me know that it needed to excerise. So we turned into Membury Services at about 09.20.
Bladder emptied, grabbed a sandwich and bottle of liquid and sat in the car and had my 2nd breakfast, listening to the cats whisker. Seems that Gatwick was open again, good at least some people would get to see there loved ones for Xmas.

We was off again into the sunshine for about 5 miles then the clouds were back. But we seemed to be chasing the rain, lots of spray. Still with our lights on amongst those that had turned theirs off, must be the cut backs.
Soon approaching junction 4A and onto the car park, variable speed limit as well. Nothing changes then, but at least the traffic was moving. Then the road was clear and we was back up to cruising at 69.9mph.

South Mimms came into view and we peeled off and onto the A1 southbound. Turned off towards Arkley before turning right into Hendon Park Lane, just by the “Gate” pub. Lovely pub that, had many a beer but never any food.
Left at the lights into Totteridge Lane. Past St.Andrews church, past the Orange Tree pub and we parked on the drive at 11.35. Pretty good that.
Michael was at home, so the kettle was soon on. Car unloaded with my case and a few bits.

I explained to Michael about meeting up with my friends from Canada and he was happy to come along. I explained that I would be taking the car as it would be easier than trying to get to Avely in Essex rather than going by train. Was hard work but I think he has grasped my words. Naturally enough he had to go and get a map out to study the area. You name anywhere in the uk and Michael will have a fold up paper or plastic coated map of the area. None of those Google maps for him, which in hindsight is a good thing.

Catch you all later.

onen hag oll
Old 22nd December 2018, 00:39   #6
pbaker
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer CDTI SE + MG ZS

Default bob

Hello Bob. As ever another interesting update on your doings. glad ur enjoying your move and keeping in touch. have a Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year and all other members.
pbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2018, 00:43   #7
pbaker
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer CDTI SE + MG ZS

Default smiles

Why when I click on Santa do I only get the word smilie ?.
pbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2018, 06:43   #8
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool Nightmare journey.....................

.......................................... Not the actual trip but I had forgotten what is like to have Michael as a passenger. Was hoping he would nod off like he used to do but no he had to see how I was going to get to Aveley. And yes he had brought a map plus torch with him. But I said if you insist on looking at the map then you will have to sit in the back and without the torch.

So he sat in the front. So the obvious route was to get onto the A406, North Circular road, and follow it down as far as Woodford then branch off onto the new section as far as Beckton then drop onto the A13 and come off before the Dartford Crossing.
But not on the last Friday before Xmas is this the best route. So I went the long way round stating with getting onto the M25. I knew I would never get very far past the A127 turn off before hitting heavy traffic.

The wireless thingy confirmed this via the radio report, Michael was still awake and talking gibberish, well I was concentrating on driving, and it sounded like gibberish to me. I came off the M25 and into towards Brentwood, A12 junction, headed towards the town but at the first set of lights turned right. This literally took us across country, down dark and dismal lanes. But having got used to the cart tracks in Cornwall I was up for it. Although Redfive complained a bit. I expect she will need another wash. And Michael had now nodded off.

We found our way to Ockenden and then it was easy to find our way to the house in Aveley. Michael had now woke up, apologised for going to sleep. I was not bothered.
My friends were waiting at the door. Well it was certainly a shock for me. Having not seen them for nigh on 40 years, and neither of them had really changed. Denis was still thin and still had all is own hair and Stephanie was still just as good looking as ever although her hair had gone white.
Tea? Oh! Go on then. If you think I drink a lot of tea then you'll be pleased to know Michael drinks even more. Make a pot and that's his.

Denis and I was at technical college together and Stephanie was his girlfriend then. Denis served his apprenticeship with Scania trucks at Purfleet, back of the Circus Tavern. Done 10 years there, then they went on holiday to Canada and the rest is history. Started out as a mechanic working for a bus company in Ontario and ended up with his own business. Recovery and repair of heavy haulage. They got married and had a family and settled down.
We kept in touch with the occasional birthday/Christmas card and the rare phone call.

Michael has travelled to both Ontario and Toronto so he was in his element with that conversation, then he discovered that Stephanie had word for a railway company, well now he stepped up a gear. I thought he was going to bore everyone to death about the railway system but Stephanie took the helm and told him about the history of Canada's rail system. Think he has found a friend with similar interests. By the end of the evening they even had swapped email addresses.
One of Michaels ambitions is to travel from one side of Canada to the other by train. Stephanie will now help to bring that ambition to life.

Denis and I talked about various things, he had asked me to bring photo's of Val. I had with me our wedding album. All those memories brought so many tears to my eyes but they are happy memories. Denis cried with me, we looked a right pair.
Lots to talk about but the time was getting on. We agreed to meet up after Christmas and spend the day together in London, so this will delay my return to Saltash. I'm hoping that they may have time to visit me in my home before they travel back to Canada at the end of January.

With that we said our goodbye's, don't think Michael wanted to leave as he and Stephanie were still talking railway talk even as we got into the car. But he was soon asleep letting me drive home. We was able to get onto the M25 and travel back that way.
All in all a cracking evening, was not till I got back to the house did I realise how tired I was.
I needed no rocking and was soon asleep.

onen hag oll
Old 22nd December 2018, 18:43   #9
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool Redfive done well...............

...............................today, ferrying me about. But she will need a good clean soon.

Slept like the proverbial baby, woke up in the cot. Up fairly early, well early for me. Tea and toast and we was off on our travels. First place was a local Wetherspoons for Breakfast. You have to pay for your parking but you get the money back if you spend over £5 at the bar, so it was a cheap but large breakfast eaten.
Once I had filled my tummy next stop was Tesco’s to buy flowers for the ladies I was seeing today plus beer for the blokes. I had already got sweets for my god daughter and her brother.

Onto to Emma’s only to find her not very well with a trapped nerve in her back. So that meant she would be unable to come with me up to Earls Colne. Riding in a ZT with a bad back is one thing but riding in Redfive is something else. Especially as she is lowered as well.
I gave her a bunch of the flowers I bought, usually give her a bunch at Xmas anyway. She hobbled into the kitchen to make me a coffee, as her husband and son were out. We had a long chat, and a laugh. Plus more coffee and a cake. We swapped Xmas presents just as Kevin, her hubby, came home. Just a quick chat with him before I left to head up to Earls Colne.

Out and onto the A10 heading towards the M25, traffic was light. Once on the M25 we was soon up to Warp Factor 3 and heading towards the M11. Zoomed up past North Weald just as a single engined fighter was taking off, looked like a P51D Mustang, over the motorway. There was already another fighter airborne. North Weald was a operational base during WW11. Now used by Aces High the air to air film unit. A lot of the hangers are used by various companies for storage purposes. Every Saturday there is a huge market on the airfield.
MG’s on track have competitions there along with Supercar experiences as well.

Redfive was in her element zooming along, but it was too good to last as the warning signs were lighting up with news that there was a “incident” up by junction 8, and that where I was due to come off. Traffic was slowing but still moving. Lucky for me I was able to take the second exit towards Stanstead Airport and the A120. Could not see any problems, must have been something earlier.
Warp Factor 3 was soon achieved as we travelled further up country. Thought there might be a hold up at the ‘Freeport’ retail park just North of Braintree, but even that was clear.

Now travelling towards Halstead, it’s the easiest way to get to Earls Colne. Still the traffic was light, even through Halstead. Nice Christmas tree in the town centre. Just out of the town and we turned right towards Earls Colne. Good road to get your toe down with fast bends. Soon turning into the side road and pulling up outside the house. A very tight road for parking in. So that was two wheels up on the pavement and mirrors folded in.
Greeted by my god daughter Kirra who helped me in with the Christmas presents, I had her Dads beer and Mums flowers to carry.

Once in I suddenly remembered about the box of sweets in the car, so I gave the car keys to Kirra’s brother Domonic and told him where to look. I watched out of the window whilst he nigh on had to climb into the boot to get the box. He managed to shut the boot. Pressed the button to lock the car, then he checked to make sure the doors and boot were locked. Came in and gave me the sweets and said, “there you go Uncle Bob, you can have the sweets as i’m Keeping the car. Wicked wheels”.
We soon swapped the box for the keys.

A lovely afternoon spent with my god daughter who told me she had 7 boyfriends, one for each day of the week. Bless her. We played games, I know not a pretty sight with me on the floor but what fun.
The time was marching on and soon time for me to leave. I would have loved to stay but Michael and I were out to dinner.
But I promised to come up in the New Year for Kirra’s birthday in March. With kisses and hugs we left.

No rain and a clear night saw us soon heading home to Michaels. The A120 was clear all the way to the M11 where we found no North bound traffic. M11 was shut as to repair the barriers from a earlier incident, which must have been the one I thought had happened earlier on.
But we was unaffected as we put the loud pedal down. The tail back Northbound was over 4 miles long.
Soon bearing left and onto the M25. Again the traffic was light.

We travelled down as far as the A1 before turning off and heading towards home. We could have taken the junction before but that would take us through Cockfosters town centre, which might have been heavy with Xmas shoppers, then through Barnet village before entering into Whetstone and onto Totteridge. So the A1 turn off was the option I went for.
Soon found our way home and onto the drive.
Getting hungry now, hope Michael is ready to go up the pub.

onen hag oll

Last edited by FLYING BANANA; 22nd December 2018 at 19:39.. Reason: Typo error
Old 23rd December 2018, 20:17   #10
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool 8 Red Rose's.............................

............................................. One Rose for each of the years that have passed since the Angels came for my Val.

Michael was ready to go to the pub and off we toddled, the pub was heaving with people. But we was guided to our table and the beer was brought. Food ordered and beer drunk, oh! Go on then I'll have another. But no wine. Long wait for the food, still never mind. Because of the noise in the pub I found hard to hear what Michael was saying, but I tried my best but gave up. I apologised to him and he was ok with it. 40 minutes later, and no sign of our starters even.

I started to get a bit irritated with the staff, I know they were under pressure, but even my second pint had not arrived but it was sitting on the bar. In the end Michael went over and got our beer. Then the manager came over and said we were not to go and get our own beer like that. Michael then put his business head on and explained that we was still waiting for our starters.
We drank our beer and left.

Got back to the house and Michael rustled up a quick meal, but to be perfectly honest I was no longer hungry. Michael, bless him, went and got me a large Scotch and left me alone for awhile. Just the pressure building up over this weekend I suppose.
Michael came in with an assortment of cold meats and cheeses. I apologised to him. We sat and ate and it calmed me down. He poured me out another scotch, and he had one as well. That's the first time I have ever seen him drink a short and I've known him since 1990.

I turned in a short while after. A very restless sleep. I got up quite early and had a shower. The bathroom in the house is the original one when the house was built in the 1930's. Green and cream marble tiles. Green bath, and the shower was salvaged from Noah's Ark. But at least it was refreshing, then the cold cut in.
Still at least I was clean again.
Dressed and downstairs where I made my tea and kicked the toaster into life, nice girl. (Old joke, bit like me really).

I had bought the Roses yesterday but had left them in the car, chilly and damp in the boot. I went to get them out and found they were starting to open. Brought them in and got them trimmed. Michael appeared and made more tea. He said that he would let me go on my own as he wanted me to have the time on my own. I was grateful for that. I don't think I could handle him fussing about.
It had stopped raining so I grabbed my coat and left. Walked up to St.Andrews, better than taking the car as the car park is very small.

I'll not bore you with talk of the visit to the cemetery as no doubt a few of you have lost someone at this time of the year. Death is no fun at anytime of the year but at Christmas it just seems to be worse.
I walked back past The Orange Tree, had the pub been open I would have gone and apologised and paid for our beer. But it was shut.
Back to the house to find Michael reading the paper, he still had not got dressed. He was supposed to be going into London to meet up with a few friends for a pre-Xmas lunch.
Once I reminded him about the time he was like a man possessed, ok maybe not that quick.

I went upstairs and got all my stuff ready. Sat on the bed and wiped the tears away. Back downstairs and loaded Redfive up. Michael was still not dressed but at least he had put the newspaper down.
I said thank you for everything and apologised again about how I was the evening before. Michael said that there was no need to apologise. He said that all in all I had had a difficult year with what one thing and another.
See you on the 27th, and with that I left.

Now to the next leg of our last mini tour of 2018. Kent here we come, the M25 was quiet, even the Ski Jump was quiet, straight over with no hold ups. Soon turning off and heading for Darenth. Pulled up outside the house with the most LED lights festooning the trees and bushes outside. My very good friend John came out and helped me in with all my stuff. His good lady was waiting at the door with a pint of Cider for me. Now! That's what I call a welcome.
John asked me if I was ok as I looked as if I was ready to burst into tears. I said I was ok.

Their son, John Louis, was ready for me to help him build a model Spitfire. So I was soon back to normal and in my element building a model. And I was soon on my own as he nipped off to watch the cartoons on the telly. Another Cider appeared but I held my nerve and built the Spitfire before taking a swig. The Spitfire was a Aifix no glue kit. Snap and build.
Built and on it's stand, which was immediately removed. I was told that it could not fly with a stand in place.
That told me then.
Then it was dinner time. Shepherds pie and veg. Yummy!!!

After dinner John Louis had his bath and went to bed. We have a big day tomorrow as we are off to see Santa at the Rommey and Hythe steam railway.
Another cider? Oh! Go on then. And a single malt, well I should not really. But why not.

Many thanks for reading and the comments.

onen hag oll