Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 30th November 2018, 18:08   #1
Abott10

Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,328 Posts
Default Fill her up and a couple of shots of Redex.

Quote:
Fill her up and a couple of shots of Redex.
When I was still at Junior school, back in the early 1950s, I heard my Dad ask that when he pulled up at the Petrol Station. Before the days of self-service and I remember seeing the forecourt guy squirt twice into the filler tube using one of those now highly desirable antique squirt pump cans.

Move on sixty odd years and a month ago I bought some Redex off ebay. I wanted to experiment as the family fleet are all now well over a dozen years old and just maybe, Redex will be beneficial in some way.

Anyway, following the instructions on the bottles, I have introduced the Redex into three of the family cars. Talking to my friendly MoT tester whilst my Rover was being tested a few days ago, he is convinced Redex is beneficial. It works on the whole fuel system apparently. Pump, Tank, Fuel lines and Injectors.

Me, the jury is still out but, just maybe these two "incidents" are an indication that it is beneficial. We shall see.
Abott10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2018, 18:45   #2
mbonwick
Gets stuck in

Connoisseur SE 1.8 Auto Saloon

No proof personally that it works, but I certainly believe it doesn't do any harm.

I always add to a tank of premium fuel, then make sure I fill up with premium the next time as well.
Working on the basis that it gives the best chance for the Redex to work and is more likely to rinse any crud through afterward/continue the cleaning effect.

Whether that is the case or not, who knows...
mbonwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2018, 18:53   #3
RoverP480
Gets stuck in

None at the moment

Original Redex was an upper cylinder lubricant, i.e. Oil based , latest iteration is to clean the system
RoverP480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2018, 01:30   #4
Ravinder
This is my second home

Rover 75 saloon x2, Rover 75 Tourer x2, Rover 220 Coupe Turbo

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,718 Posts

About a year ago, I started to use redex in my daily 75 diesel and after 3-4 top ups, I started to notice an improvement in my MPG. I was still doing the same routes and driving it in the same manner but noticed a few extra miles...

First name and forum name: Ravinder

Rover 75 2.0 CDT Connoisseur SE 116 (160 remap)
Royal Blue (JFM)

This vehicle was the 50,481st 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 2,238th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE to be made out of 3,775
This vehicle was the 5,002nd 75 in Royal Blue (code: JFM) to be made out of 14,420 Royal Blue 75s
Ravinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2018, 08:42   #5
RoverP480
Gets stuck in

None at the moment

I have used the latest product in my Rover 45 L series Diesel as it had done very little mileage in the previous years before I had it last year . Seemed to make it run smoother but could be just more use has helped.
RoverP480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2018, 09:14   #6
CivilSteve
Avid contributor

MG ZT

For what it costs per bottle if it makes you feel like there's an improvement then it's good value for money.

On the K series however I'm not sure it's needed. The injectors don't tend to clog up on these and unlike the carb or direct injection systems multi point is pretty clean, as the injection process cleans the back of inlet ports and the injectors are out of the way of contamination

A few years ago I sent off a set of VVC injectors for ultrasonic cleaning and testing. Despite being run on years of supermarket fuel they had only 'lost' a few CC of flow and spray pattern was just good instead of very good. refitting showed no difference. So I'm not totally sold there's any benefit on cleaning the petrol models
CivilSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2018, 10:51   #7
ardvark
Al

75 CDTI Tourer Auto

Took me diesel for MOT but not before asking about this new ere MOT test.
I asked about them keeping me car if it failed dangerously.
Chap said we are supose to advise people not to drive because of so and so.
Again I asked about them keeping me car if it failed dangerously.
Chap said again he would advise me not to drive the car but he can't stop me doing so.
What about keeping my car. Chap said look around, where would I put it where it's safe and secure.

Failed on a few things but put them right no problem.

What suprised me was after all this bad press on older diesel cars I has a exhaust reading of 0.6 chap said the pass was 1.5. Last year I had a reading of 1.6
What I did before the MOT was service the car and filled the new fuel filter with a bottle of Redex diesel, ran the engine for a few minutes the left it over night.
The following morning the engine started after a few turns where it normaly starts first turn.
Went to work 25 miles away no problem at all.
Started first ture when coming home.
Couple of days before MOT I put two bottles of Redex into a quarter of a tank of diesel.
Morning of the MOT I took the car of a "Italian" service. Red lined it for a few miles.
Three bottles of Redex seems a bit much I hear but at £2 a bottle at Tesco a few weeks ago I think was worth it.
Got all this info off the net and it worked for me.
Maybe it'll work for other members.
By the way the car has over 225000 miles on the clock.
Old 1st December 2018, 11:04   #8
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Back in the 1980's we had two identical transit vans doing similar mileages and journeys with various drivers (regular deliveries). We added redex to one and not to the other. At the cambelt change, we went a step further and whipped the heads of both vans (petrol 4 cylinder) and found that the one with the redex, had less (hardly any) carbon deposits on the piston crowns, head or valves. I always add it to the full tanks on mine (when I remember!).
Old 1st December 2018, 22:01   #9
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

I have been using Redex for around 60 years in various vehicles, including m/ cycles. All I can say is it has always worked like it says on the label. I will always use it.
Old 5th December 2018, 17:44   #10
Richard3275
Regular poster

Rover 75

Default Redex

I have recently started to use Redex on my 75 facelift diesel , when I bought the car it had 45,500 on the clock , the acceleration was ok but sometimes it hesitated then went , now 3 tank fill's and added Redex it is brilliant the acceleration is very smooth, and the PMG has improved .

Hope this helps

Martyn
Richard3275 is offline   Reply With Quote