Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 27th October 2012, 11:51   #1
robbrooks
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT,160 remap: owner since new in December 2002: Mileage: June22 143,000

Default loads of water in rear passenger footwell nearside

Hi
I know this is a topic that has been discussed several times on here, but I have detected a leak that is really making the car smell! My plenums are clear, my sunroof drains are clear and the drainage channels ar all OK. No water in the boot or in the front footwells. This is an odd one as I know of all the usual checks. This is no small leak! All the carpet in the rear footwell is now drying out, after loads of water, but I have not detected the source of the leak.

Any clues much appreciated. I will have to just wait for the next rain now and sit in the car to find the source!

Thanks
robbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2012, 12:52   #2
Leyland Worldmaster
This is my second home

Audi A2 1.4TDI

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbrooks View Post
Hi
I know this is a topic that has been discussed several times on here, but I have detected a leak that is really making the car smell! My plenums are clear, my sunroof drains are clear and the drainage channels ar all OK. No water in the boot or in the front footwells. This is an odd one as I know of all the usual checks. This is no small leak! All the carpet in the rear footwell is now drying out, after loads of water, but I have not detected the source of the leak.

Any clues much appreciated. I will have to just wait for the next rain now and sit in the car to find the source!

Thanks
Have you checked out your rear lamp seals, rear window seals and side trim clips? These are well known and covered in various threads. HTH

🏓
Leyland Worldmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2012, 12:59   #3
Chr1s
Regular poster

Rover 75

Quote:
Hi

Thanks
Your not alone robbrooks. Having just fitted a modified handbrake compensator, (Big thank you to Arctic) I discovered exactly the same problem.
I`v checked the usual suspects but can`t locate the cause....I`m Scratching my head on this one.
Chr1s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2012, 13:07   #4
Chr1s
Regular poster

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopard680 View Post
Have you checked out your rear lamp seals, rear window seals and side trim clips? These are well known and covered in various threads. HTH
Hi leopard680. Wouldn't a leek from the rear lamp and or window seals lead to water in just the boot well? Mine is bone dry.

Side trim clips? do you mean the clips holding the chrome strip to the body?
Chr1s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2012, 14:26   #5
Plezier
I really should get out more.......

Mercedes C Class CDI estate (2003)

I believe he does. If you pull back the carpet from the sides in the boot you will see the pins that come through and hold the Chrome strips in place.. cehcek them for drips also the lower threaded studs for the bumper ? then lower down the vents.

I have discovered that a panel seal is weeping in the N/S of my boot. Only a small weep but it needs stopping up.

I intend to first after cleaning any dirt and muck from to seal with silicon then once that's cured lay underseal over the top that should fix it .

In my car i have discovered that I have a weep int he drivers foot well from driving on very wet and partially flooded roads. It seems to be a rubber grommet that is leaking so some gutter seal/ mastic or silicon will be acquired and put under and around it.
Old 27th October 2012, 14:46   #6
MangoMan
This is my second home

Looking....

Thanked 1,111 Times in 868 Posts

Door Rubbers have been known to leak aswell....
Old 27th October 2012, 14:56   #7
seancar
Banned

75 tourer and t4

where do you start think every owner out there has had this problem once or twice
you have check all the common leaks but also leak though the black plastic grills in both rear quarters behind the bumper all the trim clips and fixings and though the back screen seals afraid its tube of silcone and lots of time
seancar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2012, 17:08   #8
ProfDave
This is my second home

ZTT, Contemp Saloon, Duotone Tourer

have you checked the rear sun roof drains?
ProfDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2012, 15:45   #9
robbrooks
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT,160 remap: owner since new in December 2002: Mileage: June22 143,000

Unhappy Another check today

Hi I have now had a look under the carpet in the front passenger footwell.
Now I can bet where the water is gaining access. Same problem I had before -2 year ago, which I thought I had cured. The sunroof drain to the nearside front wheel arch. The route for this drain is via the back of the glove box and the pipe can easily come out inside the cabin and flood the passenger side of the car- it seems to have done it again. With the water inthe back footwell it mislead me. Don't be fooled where most of the water accumulates it can decieve
The question is. How do I dry all the left side of the carpets with their thick foam. Would like to get the carpets dried out as they smell pretty awful

This is a real problem with the 75 and a pathetic design! Anyone made modifications to this design. Potentially you could have 4 leaks inside the car!

Old 28th October 2012, 15:51   #10
robbrooks
Gets stuck in

Unhappy

Quote:
Hi I have now had a look under the carpet in the front passenger footwell.
Now I can bet where the water is gaining access. Same problem I had before -2 year ago, which I thought I had cured. The sunroof drain to the nearside front wheel arch. The route for this drain is via the back of the glove box and the pipe can easily come out inside the cabin and flood the passenger side of the car- it seems to have done it again. With the water inthe back footwell it mislead me. Don't be fooled where most of the water accumulates it can decieve
The question is. How do I dry all the left side of the carpets with their thick foam. Would like to get the carpets dried out as they smell pretty awful

This is a real problem with the 75 and a pathetic design! Anyone made modifications to this design. Potentially you could have 4 leaks inside the car!

Is it easy to take the carpets up onthe left side of the car. Is it a case of all carpets up? May be just taking the front passenger seat out and then lifting the carpet may do the trick, but it's going to take some drying. As explained this is no small leak - it's absolutely soaking wet!