Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 24th June 2019, 15:49   #31
Nick Greg
Posted a thing or two

Honda Insight Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
Totally agree - and if one single thing exemplifies the monumental stupidity of our vehicle taxation system it is this fact.

Sadly tho - we have governments that listen to 16 year old children with Aspergers Syndrome and set their policies by that influence rather than reality and common sense.
I do hope none of our members have 16 years olds with that syndrome read this post, as they may well care to differ about this somewhat insensitive statement!
Nick Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2019, 17:46   #32
ml.williams
Avid contributor

ZT_T 190

It’s not an insensitive statement it’s an ignorant and bigoted statement.

It’s also about as far from reality as you can get.

One of the traits of people with Asperger’s Syndrome or autism can be an unparalleled level of understanding and detail on a subject so if you found someone with Asperger’s Syndrome utterly interested in emissions regulation and the associated tax it would be a work of art, they are very far from the stereotype that they are thick that belongs back in the 70’s.

The LPG’s get taxed on the basis of the petrol emissions as the car can be run on either fuel and there is no way to know which the driver uses and how much pollution they are generating which is what the tax is based on.

While that sounds harsh the government has tried the reverse with the new plug in hybrids where they all receive the tax as if they are being used in EV mode for a good % of the time.

This policy has utterly failed as all the corporate car lot are just renting the PHEV for the tax breaks and only ever using the ICE saving no emissions from the base ICE engine and actually making things worse as they are lugging around several hundred extra KG of unused hybrid kit.
ml.williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2019, 11:35   #33
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

what man in his right mind would choose to buy pertrol for a 2.5 kv6 at 18 to 25 mpg when he can use lpg ? mine returns about the same mpg as diesel moneywise when all is taken into account. when rules or laws are made there will always be circumstances that are not taken into account as there are always different circumstances but by and large apply to the masses. so lets put the tax on fuel where it belongs.no doubt the big polutors will scream but why should I pay to keep white van man exempt. if it did come to pass you can guarantee that business users will have some type of a red diesel or similar scheme implemented to wriggle out of it im sure.
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2019, 13:39   #34
Nick Greg
Posted a thing or two

Honda Insight Hybrid

Totally agree - and if one single thing exemplifies the monumental stupidity of our vehicle taxation system it is this fact.

Sadly tho - we have governments that listen to 16 year old children with Aspergers Syndrome and set their policies by that influence rather than reality and common sense.

Interesting isn't it, that over 24 hours since this post was made, and its subsequent criticism etc the original poster has not sought to make any correction to the post or apologies for its blatant disregard to those who have Aspergers syndrome. An unconditional apology would be the manly thing to do as others have so often done in the past but I fear this will fail to materialise due to the egocentric vacuous nature of this particular member. We shall see! No doubt He will have the Last Word
Nick Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2019, 14:37   #35
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsport View Post
what man in his right mind would choose to buy petrol for a 2.5 kv6 at 18 to 25 mpg when he can use lpg ?
I would Stefan! My reasoning:
  • My urban fuel consumption is significantly less than your figure. It's never reached 18 mpg.
  • I want to keep my car as original as possible.
  • I don't want my boot space reduced by an additional tank.
  • I don't want a load of extra plumbing and electrics to go wrong. The car's complicated enough as it is!
  • I am wary of government financial incentives.
  • A KV6 modified to use LPG doesn't gain any advantage in the ULEZ.

Live and let live eh?

Simon
Old 25th June 2019, 18:53   #36
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

well pointed out simon ! which epitomises everyones different views . each of us have different circumstances and differing usage of these cars . I bought my 75 nine years ago as a tempory vehicle on a low budget at the time as having sold my xtype to help fund my daughters university fees. needless to say I fell in love with it !! its been my daily user for over 9 yrs now. I could buy another car that's more economical and reliable but I cant stand the thought of letting her go. so the fuel bills of daily commute to work started to escalate.luckily for me I came across an opportunity to buy a brand new lpg kit that was ordered by design and custom built for the kv6. the kit was never fitted so I bought it. it was from a former member on here LOTUSMAN. I fitted it over a period of 2mths. sounds a long while but without a garage or offroad parking it was an achievement …. especially as it was still used on petrol every day ! if the car does go wrong on lpg it will run on petrol automatically . it gives you the same benefit of electric/petrol in that if one breaks down the other system is still available. can I ask you simon what you meant by government schemes ? as far as im aware grants here in the uk towards lpg conversion of either cars or domestic installations were never implemented as they do in other E.U states.here they gave us nothing. no doubt there are many people on here who use these cars as a luxury or daily drive. its up to the individual and I fully respect that .we all love our rovers on here and that's the main thing. think the petrol models especially the kv6 ranges will ultimately be the long term survivors in terms of longevity as most of the diesels are and will be driven into the ground. but of course time will tell and I wont be around to see that !!!
Old 25th June 2019, 19:27   #37
3disco
3disco

ROVER 75 CONN TOURER CDTI and ZTT V8 SE LPG

There is a scheme that gives a very small discount for lpg conversions (or was) but as far as I am aware you had to jump through hoops with the dvla to get a very small reduction in car tax and was told it was not worth the effort!
3disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2019, 19:44   #38
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsport View Post
well pointed out simon ! which epitomises everyones different views . each of us have different circumstances and differing usage of these cars .
I quite agree Stefan!
Quote:
can I ask you simon what you meant by government schemes ?
Yes of course. I was under the impression that LPG is not taxed as heavily as petrol and diesel, hence making daily running costs lower. Have I got that right?
Quote:
... we all love our rovers on here and that's the main thing.
It certainly is.
Quote:
... think the petrol models especially the kv6 ranges will ultimately be the long term survivors in terms of longevity as most of the diesels are and will be driven into the ground.
I think that the writing is on the wall for all petrol and diesel cars and hybrids will follow. Pure electric car recharging points are springing up in my locality, even in Wickes' car park! Things will change dramatically over the next ten years.

Simon
Old 25th June 2019, 19:59   #39
Rover_75_Owner
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Well surprise apparently my old CDT rover due to be scrapped shortly is both compliant for ulez and lez

It wasn't before i took the personal plate off it so I guess the data base views if as a new car as it's now got its 52 plates back on. Which confirms the database is full of errors.....
Rover_75_Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2019, 20:21   #40
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

point taken simon on the lpg tax reduction.however my first v.e.d was reduced …. by a whopping £5 per annum. that was apparently only for the first year and no longer applies.what I thought you meant by govournment schemes or similar wording was the fact that lpg vehicle and domestic installs were entitled to a grant of up to 40 percent cost. this is as far as I know still available elsewhere in the E.U. the uk signed up to this scheme but never implemented it in practice with no one having ever claimed it sucsessfully. also the promised to keep the price of lpg constant for 3 yrs which also never happened. this was reprimanded by the E.U as it was a scheme designed to help reduce emmisions .eventually the uk govournment relented and instead agreed to reduce their intended tax rises to a minimum. overall im happy with my lpg conversion but horses for courses I suppose. the kv6 goes pretty well on it and of course the engine oil stays a nice honey colour all the time.so this in itself cant be a bad thing. … regards