Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 23rd June 2019, 13:58   #11
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

With road cars designed to cruise at 100mph and never can, it's part of the cynicism that is directed at manufacturers. Most cars rarely, if ever, travel over 60/70 mph and, in commuter queues, are well within handling capabilities of 'budget' tyres. Then comes the unexpected rainy roundabout....
Old 23rd June 2019, 15:04   #12
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
I don't give a damn if others think I'm poor, at least they wont break into my house. If they are so rich, why do they live in the same road as me?

This what my wife always says - that the reason we have never been burgled is probably because looking at the age of my cars, no one would ever think we had anything worth stealing.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2019, 16:59   #13
jackatesme
This is my second home

rover 75 saloon.Renault Captur 1.5 diesel.

Thanked 1,242 Times in 702 Posts

I think,today it is too easy, with the multitude of loan companies, to buy an expensive car,even if you are too poor to maintain it.
I have quite a few youngsters in my street with nearly new Mercs and Audis,it's no wonder they can't get the money together to get a deposit to buy their 1st house.
3,021 of 4,744 Connie SE
239 of 1.685 Platinum Gold.
"Maralyn": Platinum Blonde,Troublesome,Unpredictable.
jackatesme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2019, 19:55   #14
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

Chinese tyres can be good. Had premium tyres on my MGF when I bought it. When they wore out, I bought Chinese. they have been every bit as good as the Dunlop that were on before. They are even a bit more silent than the previous set.
I fitted Chinese tyres on the front of my SR. Works perfectly.
Got Chinese on my P5, works perfectly.

So I have only had good experiences with Chinese tyres.
Old 23rd June 2019, 21:10   #15
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
Chinese tyres can be good. Had premium tyres on my MGF when I bought it. When they wore out, I bought Chinese. they have been every bit as good as the Dunlop that were on before. They are even a bit more silent than the previous set.
I fitted Chinese tyres on the front of my SR. Works perfectly.
Got Chinese on my P5, works perfectly.

So I have only had good experiences with Chinese tyres.
Its unfortunate, but today’s youngsters we’re brought up by people who ‘wanted to give their kids what they never had themselves’. Thereby lies the problem. They are used to having everything done for them.They are only interested in themselves not the society they live in. Therefore they have no interest in anything other than themselves,quite possible to the exception that cheap tyres, like some on here have said they have on there own vehicles, because they are the same as any other tyre. Sorry to tell you, but wait until one of these idiots hits you up the ass because they were to close to you in the wet for the tyres to give good braking effect. I know, I have seen it happen and given my name and address as a witness to these people who have been harried by the idiots. And yes, those same idiots would never have any qualms about driving past after witnessing such an accident. Today’s society is fast approaching jungle mentality. Glad I won’t be around in 50 years. Unless I reach 130. By the way, your tyres probably work quite well because you do not drive like an idiot, but wait until an emergency braking.situation arises, and tell me then how you feel, or it is wet and someone pulls out in front of you. Yes, I know it’s not your fault if that happens, but it is quite possible that if you had a decent tyre on, you would have missed having an accident. .

Last edited by bl52krz; 23rd June 2019 at 21:16..
bl52krz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2019, 00:35   #16
Pueblo_Boy
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

I had new Chinese performance tyres fitted to both of my Toyota Soarers, and they performed well. Some Chinese factories are quite modern, and produce decent quality tyres. Stands to reason, there are at least 30 tyre factories in China.
I wouldn't say I drove like an idiot (most of the time!), but when you have a fast car you do tend to put the boot down now and again, just to bring that silly grin to your face! I did sometimes take the cars to 150mph plus, but not for long stretches, and only on empty toll road motorways in Spain. I had confidence in the tyres, but confess I had no way of knowing whether name brand tyres would have performed better. And it's not as if a Soarer is a Ferrari; it's just a very well built quality car that happens to go fast. I guess you pays your money, you takes your choice! For me, being poor, those Chinese tyres had the correct speed rating and even at over £100 each, bought online, (some years ago) were about half the price of Michelins or other name brands.
Interior Trim Sports PPH Black, but now with real walnut wooden trim!
One of only 20 on the road!
Pueblo_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2019, 05:25   #17
kaiser
This is my second home

If somebody hits you from behind, it is not the tyres you question, it is the driver's experience.
Correct following distance is by far the most difficult thing for unskilled drivers - maybe next to parallel parking!
Old 24th June 2019, 06:36   #18
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Questioning another's skill achieves little when your car is damaged because the other can could not stop. Tyre performance is crucial on today's congested roads, especially fast roads,where it is often impossible to maintain good distances between cars.

Tyres are the first things that I usually replace with a known, established, brand after buying a car unless they are already of such a brand and relatively new. If I could not afford to do this, in my view I was unable to afford the car.

Ditto brake disks/pads.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2019, 07:18   #19
kaiser
This is my second home

If you keep your following distance, and check behind you, you can make allowance for an irate or unskilled driver. If you notice somebody up your backside, better let him pass. If I have any of those, I just increase my following distance and I will then avoid sharp braking, barring an emergency. The close follower can usually not resist overtaking and taking that extra space, and he thus seizes being my main concern.
Most people cannot drive properly, and quickly run out of talent in an unusual situation. No quality of tyre can make up for stupidity and/or inexperience.