Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum > Sat Nav Hardware & Software > Double Din Navigation Systems
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 8th June 2019, 13:19   #11
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Jealous. Often when I want GPS in a town I don't know well I've found my way out before it flashes up. Prefer the old Win unit, but sadly the touchscreen died. Wouldn't recommend these units but then our experiences seem to differ a lot.

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2019, 13:30   #12
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T16 View Post
And your recommendation for a functioning alternative (android too) is what exactly?

All these "brands" come right out of the same factory in China.
No recommendations for an Android equipped head unit. I have been a fan of Alpine for past 25 years, and have quite simple specific spec requirements, a universal open source operating system designed for a different purpose is not one of them. A stereo along with its hard and software designed to be used in a car is though, one of those requirements. Alpine have many units (THIS one looks quite interesting) with navigation and Android/Apple integration, available for sale, at quite reasonable prices.

But they are not exactly OEM though

Remove the unit, chuck it in the bin, go to an ICE centre, listen to a few, buy the one you like. We wont have to witness your moaning about it, an added bonus for your passengers, who will now be able to turn up the volume to avoid the whining on the driver's side.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2019, 16:35   #13
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts

I have an Xtrons WinCE unit with built in DAB+. All functions work well, and quickly, including the iGo 8 satnav.I was considering upgrading the cars speakers,but the improvement in sound quality is such that it is not required.The sound from the DAB radio stations is crystal clear although it did require the fitting of an external aeriel to keep reception stable under all conditions and in different areas.
Overall I'm very pleased with unit.It's a vast improvement on the WinCE unit it replaced as supplied by Radioguy.
VVC-Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2019, 17:02   #14
Russp
Loves to post

MG ZT

One thing I've noticed with xtrons is the microphones for hands free is rubbish be it the one built in to it or the supplied A pillar one.
Has anyone tried a different one in them?
Russp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2019, 17:24   #15
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Quite happy with my ICE
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2019, 19:08   #16
T16
I really should get out more.......

ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

Tbh the GPS is great. Picks up satellites instantly.

Loading up iGO 9.x takes about 1 min normally.

The most annoying thing is the dropping wifi, its enough to make me want to smash it. I run a wifi hotspot on my laptop and see it drop off that when downloading the files for iGO, yet the head-unit lies and says it is connected, of course it isnt, and i have to switch the wifi off and on again and re-start the downloads in iGO, took me 2 days of doing this to get all the European maps down.

My Xtrons is an Android 5.1, does that basically mean its totally out of date and the performance is rubbish?

I actually really like iGO, and after modifying the unit to fit correctly it looks factory fit. Ive seen some abortions on here, sticking out about half a centimeter at the bottom etc!

IF I could get an Xtrons looking Android that was faster, and enabled me to SEEK back and forward in MP3s, I would be one happy camper. Not having MP3 seek on the buttons is infuriating, and I have to use the touch screen.

Also I see no way around the radio stations issue, every time I get into the car I have to search for the stations.

I think its a basic CPU issue, as when the nav is taxing the system, sometimes you can see it struggle with the radio scanning for stations, and sometimes the music can drop out momentarily.

If a newer model has the same connector as the 5.1 unit this would be great, I made up an OE looking connector for the steering wheel controls with BMW connectors, looks pro.

Last edited by T16; 15th June 2019 at 19:12..
T16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2019, 17:40   #17
Sjonnie
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 2.5 Manual Starlight Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircub View Post
*snip* Only downside is they never released an update to 8.1 or 9 so stuck with android 8.0

Why would you want 9? 8 is great and uses less resources than 9. The units are designed/spec'ed for a specific version of Android. Upgrading to a newer version would only leave you with a less responsive unit. Security updates however would be more than welcome.

@OP:

Get in touch with Julian. He has units with a newer version of Android that will last for a couple of years. Prices are decent and support is great so what's stopping you? It is most probably a plug-n-play swap for your 5.1 unit.

Sjonnie

Rover 75 2.5 Manual MK2 MY 05 Starlight Silver - Miss March 2022 / Miss May 2023
MG F 1.8i MK2 MY 00 in Anthracite

MG ZT-T 190+ MK2 MY 05 Xpower Grey (sold) - Mr Cover page 2021
Dearly missed: ꝉ ꝉ MG ZT 190+ MK2 MY 04 in Black Olive #8/8 R.I.P. - Miss February 2016

Quote:
If it don't fit use a hammer
Sjonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2019, 19:02   #18
Russp
Loves to post

MG ZT

Is there any way of making the microphone louder on these? I've messed around in factory settings to no avail. Oddly if an external microphone is used as opposed to the one built into the unit the volume someone on another phone hears is actually less.
One of the problems with these things seems to be there are very few settings you can alter.
The radio graphics on the one in the instruction book is totally different to the one on mine but no obvious way of changing it
Old 24th June 2019, 18:17   #19
Sjonnie
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 2.5 Manual Starlight Silver

You cannot alter the sensitivity of the mic in the settings. It is what it is.

As for the external mic: there are a lot of mics with various impedance. Selecting the right mic is a bit of a hit and miss, is my experience. I had success with this mic on a Xtrons though:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32791487854.html

HTH

Sjonnie

Rover 75 2.5 Manual MK2 MY 05 Starlight Silver - Miss March 2022 / Miss May 2023
MG F 1.8i MK2 MY 00 in Anthracite

MG ZT-T 190+ MK2 MY 05 Xpower Grey (sold) - Mr Cover page 2021
Dearly missed: ꝉ ꝉ MG ZT 190+ MK2 MY 04 in Black Olive #8/8 R.I.P. - Miss February 2016

Quote:
If it don't fit use a hammer
Sjonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2019, 20:02   #20
Russp
Loves to post

MG ZT

Is that the only one you have tried? I've tried a Sony and one for a parrot but they are quieter than the inbuilt one.
I noticed in the manual that the radio in there has different graphics can they be changed?