Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 13th June 2019, 12:11   #1
kevrandle
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Airbag light

My 75 CDTi tourer has just failed test on, among other things, the airbag warning light and I'm told it needs a new airbag which are, apparently, obsolete. I wondered if anyone knew a way to turn the light off, the airbag has never deployed and the light only came on recently.
kevrandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2019, 12:19   #2
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

You need a T4 session to accurately identify the problem before jumping into major spends. Most airbag lights are due to corrosion on the underseat connectors and can be simply a matter of unplugging and replugging a few times, or cleaning the connector with switch cleaner. They often come on when the seats are moved.
Old 13th June 2019, 12:25   #3
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Nip across to see big Russ, he will sort it out for you.
Old 13th June 2019, 12:37   #4
kevrandle
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Default airbag light solved, thanks

Did as advised and fiddled with connectors under seat, light off! 'Reputable' garage had it on computer this morning and told me it definitely needed a new airbag.

many thanks for immediate help, much appreciated.
kevrandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2019, 14:12   #5
vacuman
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Probably the most frequently discussed topic. Surprised that you've been on here since 2010 and still needed to ask. It's one of the beauties of our cars that sometimes a 'serious fault' can be fixed so easily and cheaply.
vacuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2019, 21:13   #6
peelaaa
Posted a thing or two

75 cdti 2004 contemporary

Just this week my car was up for its test, airbag light was on. Dis/Reconnected the yellow connector under the drivers seat many many times and light still lit. Then did the same under the passengers side, light went off. But please note, you have to turn ignition off and on to see the affect.

good luck, both 75's I have owned had this problem, It was never the airbag, just the connectors.
peelaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2019, 16:03   #7
Kevin Williams
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDT Tourer [116 bhp] in Wedgwood Blue / MG ZT CDTi [131bhp] in Anthracite

I recently had the dreaded air bag light appear on my Tourer. Had a sunroof leak in the rear footwells last year [blocked rear drain not the usual fronts] and thought I'd dried out everything, but some dampness had got to both front sensors. Reconnection solution didn't work: 2 second hand green sensors did the trick: new ones seem hideously expensive from Rimmers [ circa £108 each] for what they are.

My ZT with sunroof has had the same sunroof problem: probably due to the slope of my road and drive, but no airbag light yet...
Kevin Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2019, 16:15   #8
RogerHeinz57
I really should get out more.......

A Reasonably Priced Car

Thanked 1,064 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Williams View Post
I recently had the dreaded air bag light appear on my Tourer. Had a sunroof leak in the rear footwells last year [blocked rear drain not the usual fronts] and thought I'd dried out everything, but some dampness had got to both front sensors. Reconnection solution didn't work: 2 second hand green sensors did the trick: new ones seem hideously expensive from Rimmers [ circa £108 each] for what they are.

My ZT with sunroof has had the same sunroof problem: probably due to the slope of my road and drive, but no airbag light yet...
A word with the guys on here who break cars would source you the items for quite a bit less I suspect, and it seems that they only generally fail due to water ingress problems.
RogerHeinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2019, 19:17   #9
Split or Bust
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Is it advisable to disconnect the battery before doing the airbag connector disconnect, clean, reconnect process? Don't like the thought of the airbag going off.

And is the battery removal process the old fashioned simple approach of disconnect negative 1st routine or is there some hold your left leg out at a 90 degree angle whilst singing the French national anthem so as not to upset the Peugeot BSI silly routine?
Split or Bust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2019, 18:14   #10
Kevin Williams
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDT Tourer [116 bhp] in Wedgwood Blue / MG ZT CDTi [131bhp] in Anthracite

Roger,
Yes, got what I needed for £25....Inevitably there's two different types of sensor for under the front seat depending on the the car: green or yellow.
Kevin Williams is offline   Reply With Quote