Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 23rd May 2019, 12:15   #11
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
To do the job properly you should do a pressure test with Nitrogen and a vacuum test, if either are not done you are not doing it correctly.

Not heard of the pin hole thing before but every day is a school day, it is usually seals drying out, a failing hose, joint or component.

Any car that can not hold its charge for at least 18 months has a leak that needs fixing, I have worked on cars that still have a good charge of refrigerant after 10 years and they still work.

If a recharge was several hundred £'s I suspect a lot more cars would be repaired or have no A/C.
My R75 diesel, now 15 years old, has the original refrigerant and the system works perfectly.

PS. Also I never run it in the winter, as suggested elsewhere, to circulate the coolant. Many folk say this is why it fails but mine never has. Makes you wonder sometimes where his sort of info. comes from.--

It's a bit like----'They all do that Sir, it's a Rover'.-----( Yet another old wives tale. Lol. )
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2019, 07:02   #12
Pueblo_Boy
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
My R75 diesel, now 15 years old, has the original refrigerant and the system works perfectly.

PS. Also I never run it in the winter, as suggested elsewhere, to circulate the coolant. Many folk say this is why it fails but mine never has. Makes you wonder sometimes where his sort of info. comes from.--

It's a bit like----'They all do that Sir, it's a Rover'.-----( Yet another old wives tale. Lol. )
Mine is also coming up for its 15th birthday...was at Halfords yesterday, and took advantage of their free checks on oil, bulbs, etc. including a/c. The test confirmed that there is absolutely no gas in my a/c at all! Gas leaks out naturally over time, so I'm amazed yours still works fine. I'm hoping mine just needs gassing up... 八(^□^*)
Interior Trim Sports PPH Black, but now with real walnut wooden trim!
One of only 20 on the road!
Pueblo_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2019, 10:43   #13
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblo_Boy View Post
Mine is also coming up for its 15th birthday...was at Halfords yesterday, and took advantage of their free checks on oil, bulbs, etc. including a/c. The test confirmed that there is absolutely no gas in my a/c at all! Gas leaks out naturally over time, so I'm amazed yours still works fine. I'm hoping mine just needs gassing up... 八(^□^*)
Very important they test for leaks first before they re-fill the system though. ( The last lot got out somehow. )
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2019, 15:51   #14
Pueblo_Boy
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Very important they test for leaks first before they re-fill the system though. ( The last lot got out somehow. )
Halfords said they simply fill it up with gas, which they think contains sealant properties. Go figure! I'm not sure I want to pay £50 just to have the gas leak out straightaway! And neither should they, it's bad for the environment!
Interior Trim Sports PPH Black, but now with real walnut wooden trim!
One of only 20 on the road!
Pueblo_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2019, 19:38   #15
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:

The seals are quite critical. Regular operation of the system (which is also a form of lubrication) prevents the seals from deterioration - usually hardening or cracking which eventually leads to leaks. If you are an A/C user then it's usually during May-September so that means the system being idle for 7 months - if you don't perform a monthy 'maintenance' switch-on for 10 minutes or so during this period expect problems
Our condensors live/work in a hostile environment, they are quite delicate and being made of aluminium oxidisation is inevitable, they simply wear out, become inefficient and often develop minute fractures that leak to atmosphere - mine is the original that has now done 160K over 14 years, it's almost threadbare of fins over 50-60% of it's surface and has been recharged twice since I've owned it so I guess Jules will be getting a call from me sometime soon (a call that I put off making last summer...)
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2019, 22:45   #16
gnu
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

Got my 25 re-gassed the other day. The guy just connected it in to a machine for around half an hour. The machine ran through a sequence of vacuum testing the system, and refilling, if found ok (with a bit of dye to give away any leaks that could develop). He said on average around 15% of gas is lost per year, or more of the system is damaged. I was told the gas we currently use is going to be illegal from 2022, as the new a/c gasses are alot less of an impact on the environment. Me, I do regularly exercise my cars a/c in the winter. Makes sense to me to exercise the seals
Old 26th May 2019, 10:30   #17
Russp
Loves to post

MG ZT

Thats interesting mine has green marks on the condenser would this be a tell tail dye?
Russp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2019, 10:44   #18
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russp View Post
Thats interesting mine has green marks on the condenser would this be a tell tail dye?
Yes those green marks suggest it is leaking, had that on my MGZT changed the condenser, only to find that the compressor also was leaking.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2019, 11:00   #19
Russp
Loves to post

MG ZT

Oh no
Can't see and green on that
Russp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2019, 13:04   #20
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russp View Post
Oh no
Can't see and green on that[/QUOTE
]

Great so hopefully your compressor is fine mine wasn't pics below.

Some condensers can get really bad as in the photo also below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC11776.jpg (134.8 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 817.jpg (131.0 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 820.jpg (118.0 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 828.jpg (119.8 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 829.jpg (140.9 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 836.jpg (135.3 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg SDC13037.jpg (136.6 KB, 30 views)

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote