Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 19th December 2018, 08:06   #1
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

Default Does anyone here have a pet tortoise?

Hi all, as above, does anyone on here have a pet tortoise (preferably a horsefield), and can you recommend a good forum or Facebook page that can offer advice etc.

My wife bought me a tortoise for my birthday a few weeks ago, the woman she got it off said to just message her if we had any questions, but she’s being very slow in responding, so looking for a better/quicker source of advice.

Thanks.
bikerdude666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2018, 08:19   #2
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerdude666 View Post
Hi all, as above, does anyone on here have a pet tortoise (preferably a horsefield), and can you recommend a good forum or Facebook page that can offer advice etc.

My wife bought me a tortoise for my birthday a few weeks ago, the woman she got it off said to just message her if we had any questions, but she’s being very slow in responding, so looking for a better/quicker source of advice.

Thanks.
You had me there, I thought it should have been in the humour section.

Enjoy your rather unique pet.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2018, 08:33   #3
Rev Jules
Rev Jules

Rover 75 Tourer+

Thanked 3,929 Times in 2,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by planenut View Post

Absolutely shell shocked<
Rev Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2018, 11:22   #4
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

I would contact a pet shop for advice. Thought they were an endangered species and the sale of them restricted.

232750. Be patient Banana, we will soon be back together and enjoying the shows again.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2018, 11:45   #5
gadget1960
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 saloon

It's about the only pet we haven't got !
My Daughter is at college studying 'land based' level three animal care, of which now includes reptiles etc: I'm sure she will be more than happy to give you some advice if you need it.
Anything you are unsure about... just ask and i'll get her to reply on here.
gadget1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2018, 15:53   #6
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

Quote:
Originally Posted by planenut View Post

Lol, he's surprisingly fast, especially considering he's only about 4 months old and about 2" long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Jules View Post
Absolutely shell shocked<
He's got the highly imaginative name of Shelley (as in Sheldon, big bang theory), so it'd have to be Shelley shocked...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA View Post
I would contact a pet shop for advice. Thought they were an endangered species and the sale of them restricted.
There are 3 species that require a certificate and/or microchipping, horsefield isn't one of those. As far as I could find the only restriction on the sale is the breeder has to be certified, and a vet has to check the tortoises before they can be sold, and they must weigh at least 50g.
I can't find any reptile shops (or vets) in this area, nearest I can find that sounds good is about 50 miles away, so may have a trip at the weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget1960 View Post
It's about the only pet we haven't got !
My Daughter is at college studying 'land based' level three animal care, of which now includes reptiles etc: I'm sure she will be more than happy to give you some advice if you need it.
Anything you are unsure about... just ask and i'll get her to reply on here.
Thanks I'll bear that in mind, and may send you a PM soon. I've been reading various things online, but they seem to disagree with each other.
Old 19th December 2018, 16:29   #7
Scaramanga
I really should get out more.......

Firefrost 75 CDTi Conn SE manual Tourer

We have two spur thighed tortoises, named George and Victor (after a certain Mr Meldrew)

They are remarkably quick on a hot day and very sneaky, they like to bite toes!

We have in the past used the International Tortoise Association, as it is located just down the road from us. To be honest once you have the basics they are pretty low maintenance pet. Fortunately their favourite food is Dandilion - so my garden is pretty much weed free!

Here is the link to their website -

http://www.tortoisesanctuary.co.uk/

They also have a facebook page -

They have a day where you can weigh your tortoise before hibernation, but prob a bit far for you to travel!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (14.9 KB, 69 views)
3. Midnight Blue 2.5 V6 auto Saloon- 'The 5th Gear Car' - Now owned by another forum member
4. Firefrost CDTi manual Tourer
Lee

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Scaramanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2018, 13:00   #8
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaramanga View Post
We have two spur thighed tortoises, named George and Victor (after a certain Mr Meldrew)

They are remarkably quick on a hot day and very sneaky, they like to bite toes!

We have in the past used the International Tortoise Association, as it is located just down the road from us. To be honest once you have the basics they are pretty low maintenance pet. Fortunately their favourite food is Dandilion - so my garden is pretty much weed free!

Here is the link to their website -

http://www.tortoisesanctuary.co.uk/

They also have a facebook page -

They have a day where you can weigh your tortoise before hibernation, but prob a bit far for you to travel!
The is for the link, I’ll have a look at that. We’ve bought some dandelion seeds so we can grow some in the garden for him. At the moment he’s been eating kale, broccoli, cauliflower, sprouts and carrot. The breeder gave us a list of foods they like, and things that are poisonous to them, I was surprised at how much they can’t have! Do they have to hibernate? I’m sure it said on the care sheet she gave us that they don’t have to if you’ve got the heat lamp and uvb bulb?
Old 20th December 2018, 13:06   #9
Scaramanga
I really should get out more.......

Firefrost 75 CDTi Conn SE manual Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerdude666 View Post
The is for the link, I’ll have a look at that. We’ve bought some dandelion seeds so we can grow some in the garden for him. At the moment he’s been eating kale, broccoli, cauliflower, sprouts and carrot. The breeder gave us a list of foods they like, and things that are poisonous to them, I was surprised at how much they can’t have! Do they have to hibernate? I’m sure it said on the care sheet she gave us that they don’t have to if you’ve got the heat lamp and uvb bulb?
They will at those dandilions in no time! We take a food bag out wherever we go and collect any dandilions for them as they are greedy buggers.

Not sure about broccoli but def know they can't have cabbage.

Mine are hibernating now - gives my patio a break from their poop! They have plenty of borders to take a dump in but they insist on 'dropping the kids off' right outside my patio door!
3. Midnight Blue 2.5 V6 auto Saloon- 'The 5th Gear Car' - Now owned by another forum member
4. Firefrost CDTi manual Tourer
Lee

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Scaramanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2018, 13:20   #10
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaramanga View Post
They will at those dandilions in no time! We take a food bag out wherever we go and collect any dandilions for them as they are greedy buggers.

Not sure about broccoli but def know they can't have cabbage.

Mine are hibernating now - gives my patio a break from their poop! They have plenty of borders to take a dump in but they insist on 'dropping the kids off' right outside my patio door!
Really? I’m sure it said they were ok to have cabbage! Not that we’re likely to have any in the house anyway, can’t stand the stuff. All the other veg we buy anyway.
Is it the whole dandelion plant that they eat?

As he’s so small mine is in a vivarium at the moment, and apparently won’t need anything bigger for about 3 years. He’s also got a favourite place for using as a toilet, his bath. Normally pop him in, within 5 mins he’s wee’d, so take home out, change the water, 2-3 mins later, there’s a poo in there, so take him out and change the water again, and sometimes, there’ll be another wee before he’s out and dried. Other place he feels the need to wee seems to be on my hand, 3 times I’ve been holding him and he’s wee’d, not done it to anyone else! Panicked the 1st time he wee’d with the white stuff in it, but a quick google sorted that.

The seller did get back to me, it turns out she’d replied almost instantly, but Facebook messenger didn’t notify me, so it was only when I went to send another message that I saw it. Arranged to pop round Friday so she can talk me through some things (she explained everything to my wife when she picked him up, but not sure she can remember everything).