Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 21st November 2012, 21:36   #1
grumpyshouse
Avid contributor

Rover 75

Default Do ABS sensors need to be in situ ...

to pass the 'self test' on ignition?
I have a feeling its the bearing thats iffy but thought i'd try a new sensor first as its a lot simpler and quicker than changing a hub
i.e. ignition on, abs light comes on , wait 4 secs - should go out. mine doesnt!

can I eliminate a faulty sensor but simply plugging a new one in or does it need to be fitted into its housing and the correct distance from its reluctor magnet thingy? even though the wheel is not rotating?

thanks in advance again
grumpyshouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2012, 21:55   #2
rover54
Retired

rover 75 v6 Auto Conn. SE 54 plate LPG and 2006 Rover 75 v6 Auto LPG , 1.8 r75 Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyshouse View Post
to pass the 'self test' on ignition?
I have a feeling its the bearing thats iffy but thought i'd try a new sensor first as its a lot simpler and quicker than changing a hub
i.e. ignition on, abs light comes on , wait 4 secs - should go out. mine doesnt!

can I eliminate a faulty sensor but simply plugging a new one in or does it need to be fitted into its housing and the correct distance from its reluctor magnet thingy? even though the wheel is not rotating?

thanks in advance again
I once just just plugged a sensor in and the ABS passed the self-test, so I would say yes. Try it and see.
rover54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2012, 21:57   #3
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

I think the sensor is more likely to be at fault than the reluctor ring. From what I've read, plenty of sensors get replaced to fix ABS issues, but not many bearings.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2012, 00:34   #4
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

I would think the sensor needs to be in place before it can work... No point in having a magnetic ring otherwise...
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2012, 01:20   #5
75tourer
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto

Should be ok just plugging the sensor in. Sensor is not powered but works on an induced pulse from the magnetic ring with a series of on/off as each segment passes the sensor during rotation. Plugged in only will replicate an off state and pass test.self test with a faulty sensor will show up an open circuit and keep light on dash illuminated
75tourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2012, 01:32   #6
Plezier
I really should get out more.......

Mercedes C Class CDI estate (2003)

Pardon me but I understand the Hall effect sensors are powered and have a voltage running through them.

This is what the static self test is testing that all sensors return the correct voltage. The system then does a running test at a certain distance speed which tests the feed back from the rings.
Old 22nd November 2012, 04:01   #7
Simon.h
This is my second home

Previously owned- MG ZT V6 160 Y plate Lpg, MG ZT 190 2003 In Rare Celestial Factory Ordered Lpg MG

If you have fitting a new wheel.sensor, the self check needs to now see all wheels spinning at the same speed and this can only be done by driving it.
MG ZT 190 2004 lpg
Simon.h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2012, 09:03   #8
grumpyshouse
Avid contributor

Rover 75

Thanks gents
when i first investigated the abs light on issue (and no speedo) i discovered that the sensor plug was not fully pushed home. parted cleaned and reconnected the light then went out. Result!
Put the wheel back on ready for a road test of the speedo and the light is back on

I did the voltage test and i have 12v on the y/b and 1.7v on the other - but no fluctuation, which leads me to think its the bearing at fault So have ordered a s/h hub etc just waiting for delivery.
Are my assumptions correct?

I have tried a new sensor (not oe) plugged that in but still the light remains illuminated - hence the question.
grumpyshouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2012, 09:23   #9
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyshouse View Post
Thanks gents
when i first investigated the abs light on issue (and no speedo) i discovered that the sensor plug was not fully pushed home. parted cleaned and reconnected the light then went out. Result!
Put the wheel back on ready for a road test of the speedo and the light is back on

I did the voltage test and i have 12v on the y/b and 1.7v on the other - but no fluctuation, which leads me to think its the bearing at fault So have ordered a s/h hub etc just waiting for delivery.
Are my assumptions correct?

I have tried a new sensor (not oe) plugged that in but still the light remains illuminated - hence the question.
My understanding is that simply plugging a sensor in, it should pass the static test at switch on, but will obviously fail the dynamic test as the car is driven.

There are lots of reports of new none OEM ABS sensors failing as soon as installed - exactly what you seem to be finding.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2012, 17:13   #10
grumpyshouse
Avid contributor

Rover 75

I can confirm that it does indeed pass the self test without being fitted or earthed!

I can also confirm zods law - just because the speedo isnt working doesnt mean its the front right thats faulty.
It turned out that my speedo didnt work because of the bearing/ magnet on the right front, but the abs light not passing the self test was down to the rear right sensor having an iffy connector under the back seat, possibly down to the extreme damp caused by unconnected rear sunroof drains