Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 7th January 2012, 15:56   #1
David Edmonds
Regular poster

Rover 75 Diesel Saloon, Rover 75 2.0 Litre Petrol Saloon

Default Cheap 75 wanted

Hi chaps,

Can anyone help me find a cheap Rover 75 for my brother in law? I am looking for preferably a diesel although a 1.8 that has had any head gasket problems sorted is a possibility.
My brother in law has had a miserable last 12 months with health and financial problems, so I really don't want to lumber him with a dog of a car to make things worse.
I'm afraid we can only afford a maximum of £1000 and as he is not particularly mechanically minded need something that is ready to go.
He has his heart set on a 75 and would of course become a new member of our club.
We are situated in Worcester.

Kind regards

David Edmonds
David Edmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2012, 16:02   #2
blacknwhite
Posted a thing or two

Black Rover 75 Connie CDT and Twilight Chromactive ZT Turbo

Pity your request is a couple of months early. I'm going to be looking for a V8 in the next 2 months or so and my Black CDT Connie with sandstone leather is pretty much sorted and will be surplus. Going to be a good deal for someone. My 14yr old son wants me to keep it for him but I keep telling him 3yrs is a long wait.
blacknwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2012, 16:36   #3
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

>>>My brother in law has had a miserable last 12 months with health and financial problems,.<<<

Judging from the above, a 75 may not be the right choice. prob more sensible to get him a small reliable Asian car... 75's do need a lot of looking after...
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2012, 17:10   #4
suffolk boy
This is my second home

fiat panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by James.uk View Post
>>>My brother in law has had a miserable last 12 months with health and financial problems,.<<<

Judging from the above, a 75 may not be the right choice. prob more sensible to get him a small reliable Asian car... 75's do need a lot of looking after...
i agree with all his troubles he will be better of elsewhere.i love my car and i am lucky to albe to do most jobs myself.i also have some good freinds in this club and my trusty mechanic to help.without them forget it buy a honda
Old 7th January 2012, 17:14   #5
markyp
Gets stuck in

MG ZT CDTI+ X-power 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by suffolk boy View Post
i agree with all his troubles he will be better of elsewhere.i love my car and i am lucky to albe to do most jobs myself.i also have some good freinds in this club and my trusty mechanic to help.without them forget it buy a honda
Sorry i have to agree....A rover 620 or honda accord maybe....The 75 is a great car but you do need to be able to work on them yourself if on a tight budget
Old 7th January 2012, 17:18   #6
pab
Banned

MG ZT V6 190+

Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,416 Posts

At the end of the day it's a thousand quid,our cars are as reliable as the next if they have been correctly maintained.
pab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2012, 17:49   #7
baconbuttyman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pab View Post
At the end of the day it's a thousand quid,our cars are as reliable as the next if they have been correctly maintained.
i have to agree with Pab, there's no garantee an asian car would be any better, all depends if you look after your car
baconbuttyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2012, 17:55   #8
suffolk boy
This is my second home

fiat panda

you are right of course it will depend as with any car how it has been looked after.but when it has a problem this guy as stated will not no how to fix it and also has limited funds to pay someone else hence my recomendation to look else where.
Old 7th January 2012, 18:02   #9
pab
Banned

MG ZT V6 190+

Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,416 Posts

Obviously I'm all for the 75/ZT..but as I previously mentioned it's all down to previous maintenance.

If he would like to take chance on another marque,that is his prerogative.
pab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2012, 19:51   #10
oldcarguy
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Conn SE Tourer

Any cheap second hand car can be a potential money pit, I don't think 75's are any different. Whatever you find, give it a good look over for accident damage & rust, take a test drive and listen for any strange noises, make sure it drives and brakes as it should, ask a few questions. Don't buy blind of ebay, cars always look nice in pictures, and sellers tend to embellish the truth. if you see one you like, go and see it before putting a bid on or buying it. Whatever he gets, I wish him well.
oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote