Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 6th November 2007, 12:59   #1
crawfs

MG ZT

Default Manifold Rattle ZT V6 160

Can anyone help??? The dreaded manifold rattle but with what appears to be different twist. I have repaired my VIS valve motor but still get the rattle. When it starts I remove the valve motor and simply replace it - that cures the problem for maybe a few days or a week, then it starts again. I am thinking that maybe the peg on the motor's cam is not a very good fit with the slot on the actuating arm and that maybe when driving I do something that makes the valve operate in a certain way (snap open, perhaps??) that dislocates the peg from the arm creating the rattle again. Has anyone any thoughts or has anyone come accross this before? The arm seems to slide in and out OK and doesn't flap about. I am now thinking that either I must replace the valve motor, manifold or both?
crawfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2007, 15:03   #2
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Iirc the peg sits quite well in the slot more likely the motor is faulty sometimes resoldering the switches does not always fix them.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2007, 11:41   #3
crawfs

MG ZT

Thanks Keith - I'll try a new motor. Do you know if the sound is the same for a motor or manifold (ie non-rythmic rattle from the manifold itself) or does the motor sound different?
crawfs is offline   Reply With Quote