Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 1st November 2011, 19:56   #1
blacknwhite
Posted a thing or two

Black Rover 75 Connie CDT and Twilight Chromactive ZT Turbo

Default Car history from VOSA

Having bought my 75 about 5months ago, I came across a link to check the MOT history on my car - a 51 reg. Very interesting what you can find out. My car started off in the Reading area (1st MOT 4yrs after registration, thought it had to be 3yrs), it moved on to Wales for most of it's life and then to Manchester for a short time before ending up in Batley from where I bought it. It's now in Newcastle, so it's gradually worked it's way up the country (next owner - Scotland perhaps?).

I was very doubtful that the last MOT (March 2011) was legit so was interested in previous passes/fails and especially "advisories". There were several advisories mainly bushes/rubber and rust. RUST!!!!!.

The car is or appears in pretty good cosmetic shape, no bodywork rust at all. The advisories mentioned rusty springs and shocks, which explains why at least one has been changed recently. Reversing lights not working (they still don't work), rear number plate bulb out (I'll have to check that tomorrow), brakes nearing a fail (these have obviously been replaced) and "underside rust front to rear". That is a big worry. Sounds potentially expensive. Think I'll have to speak to Stu on that as he has done the underside of his MG with something I can't remember the name of.

The main reason for my curiosity was the recorded mileage. the display says 85k. I was dubious.

Sure enough it's done essentially 20k/yr since new. At 26/02/2010 MOT the mileage on the certificate would have read 148,968 (if I had been given it). To be honest that in itself doesn't bother me too much. I was told at the time of sale, the mileage was probably wrong.

Anyway, what I'm basically saying is, it is absolutely amazing what you can find out sat infront of a computer screen if you know where to look. Next time, I will be WAY smarter.
blacknwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 19:58   #2
GT Courier
I really should get out more.......

Billy No Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknwhite View Post
Having bought my 75 about 5months ago, I came across a link to check the MOT history on my car - a 51 reg. Very interesting what you can find out. My car started off in the Reading area (1st MOT 4yrs after registration, thought it had to be 3yrs), it moved on to Wales for most of it's life and then to Manchester for a short time before ending up in Batley from where I bought it. It's now in Newcastle, so it's gradually worked it's way up the country (next owner - Scotland perhaps?).

I was very doubtful that the last MOT (March 2011) was legit so was interested in previous passes/fails and especially "advisories". There were several advisories mainly bushes/rubber and rust. RUST!!!!!.

The car is or appears in pretty good cosmetic shape, no bodywork rust at all. The advisories mentioned rusty springs and shocks, which explains why at least one has been changed recently. Reversing lights not working (they still don't work), rear number plate bulb out (I'll have to check that tomorrow), brakes nearing a fail (these have obviously been replaced) and "underside rust front to rear". That is a big worry. Sounds potentially expensive. Think I'll have to speak to Stu on that as he has done the underside of his MG with something I can't remember the name of.

The main reason for my curiosity was the recorded mileage. the display says 85k. I was dubious.

Sure enough it's done essentially 20k/yr since new. At 26/02/2010 MOT the mileage on the certificate would have read 148,968 (if I had been given it). To be honest that in itself doesn't bother me too much. I was told at the time of sale, the mileage was probably wrong.

Anyway, what I'm basically saying is, it is absolutely amazing what you can find out sat infront of a computer screen if you know where to look. Next time, I will be WAY smarter.
Interesting, was this the MOT check on line, presumably you dont get the previous owners online as I thought this was a send away jobby?

Good info though
GT Courier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 20:05   #3
blacknwhite
Posted a thing or two

Black Rover 75 Connie CDT and Twilight Chromactive ZT Turbo

Just go on VOSA website and halfway down is a button to check "MOT history". Think all you need is your reg and current MOT cert number and it tells you everything from 1st MOT, who did it, when, where, their phone number (LOL), mileage etc etc.
blacknwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 20:10   #4
Platemaker
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 160, MG ZT 180.

Very useful and I use it often.

Great way of checking any mileage discrepancies.

Have looked at some otherwise very good cars histories before and grimaced at the terrible mot they had to scrape through a few years ago.

Platemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 20:22   #5
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:

What did I say regarding VIN mismatch on your IPK then Bob?, still looks nice though
Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 20:23   #6
vindaloo
Ex Owner

MX-5 ND2 RF

Quote:
Just go on VOSA website and halfway down is a button to check "MOT history". Think all you need is your reg and current MOT cert number and it tells you everything from 1st MOT, who did it, when, where, their phone number (LOL), mileage etc etc.

It doesn't go back to the first MOT, I think it only goes back to 2005, which may explain why you thought it had it's first MOT at 4 years.
vindaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 20:29   #7
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
It doesn't go back to the first MOT, I think it only goes back to 2005, which may explain why you thought it had it's first MOT at 4 years.
I was just going to question you there Jim,when I realised that my car is 02,& the first mot was 2005!!! Doh Rubbish at maths
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 20:35   #8
vindaloo
Ex Owner

MX-5 ND2 RF

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
I was just going to question you there Jim,when I realised that my car is 02,& the first mot was 2005!!! Doh Rubbish at maths
Time flies, doesn't it
vindaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 20:47   #9
Sir B
Regular poster

None

Another trick is to google the sellers phone numbers.

Not that long ago I was looking at a Mondeo. Seller had only owned it for 3 months but said it was too big for him.

A quick google of his mobile revealed he was advertising for a Mondeo bonnet, bumper, lights etc 12 weeks previously.......
Sir B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 20:57   #10
James_Death
Gets stuck in

EX.2001 Rover 75 Conn SE 2.0, CDT,155 Brake, BRG

Again 2001 car and the M.O.T history starts 2005 at 75k.
Failed excessive smoke, advisory all four wheels brake pads.

Retest passed still had advisory.

Next passed and advisory for slight corrosion to front brake lines and fuel around tank but no leak found. @ 82k.

Next passed with no advisory. @ 92k

Next pass and advisory exhaust back box slightly deteriated. @ 100k

Next pass with advisory of both front brakes lines slightly corroded, both front antiroll bar link grease covers split and slight judder to osr brake. @ 106k.

Fail with no clips holding brake lines along whole centre length of the car and hand brake insufficient.

Re test and pass no advisory. @ 110k.

Great info link.

Having moved from Chiswick to Newcastle to Me...
James_Death is offline   Reply With Quote