Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 26th May 2018, 18:30   #11
Gino
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Evening all,

I had my health check done by Phil on Tuesday & mainly it came back as pretty good. Except that the maf is reading slightly low, annoying as it was replaced with a genuine Bosch insert two years ago, and fuel pressure is slightly low. The low pressure may be due to the ubp being replaced (before my ownership) with an aftermarket part.
The car has been driving fine all week until today. Driving home from Milton country park & the engine cut out again. I pulled over, gave it a 30 seconds or so then restarted. For the rest of my journey the car ran fine.
Tomorrow I'll check the terminals on the ubp again & see how I get on. Otherwise I don't know what else I can check

Rob

MODS DONE;

plenum spyhole, bonnet cable divider block (previous owner), chrome wing mirror covers, gold fan resistor (previous owner), s/s bumper bolts, uprated under tray fittings
silicone intercooler hose, Viton O rings, Crofts door finishers, boot badge, wood dash, Phil-t4's magic wand, wood wheel, mk2 repeaters, HK tweeters & Angel eye projectors.
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2018, 08:17   #12
Gino
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Morning all,

Unfortunately I am still experiencing issues with low fuel pressure causing the engine to cut out whilst accelerating.
I have changed the O rings on the pressure regulater & yesterday replaced the UBP with one from DMGRS. Initially things looked good, but coming home from the cinema last night the e nine cut out 3 times. In each case I wasn't even accelerating hard.
Now unfortunately I had let the fuel run low last week, the warning light came on driving home from work Saturday before I filled up. I'm wondering if there's some muck in the lines. I only replaced the filter a few hundred miles ago, but maybe its worth doing again?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. It's potentially dangerous, not to mention very annoying. I'm at a loss as to what else I can check.

Thanks,

Rob

MODS DONE;

plenum spyhole, bonnet cable divider block (previous owner), chrome wing mirror covers, gold fan resistor (previous owner), s/s bumper bolts, uprated under tray fittings
silicone intercooler hose, Viton O rings, Crofts door finishers, boot badge, wood dash, Phil-t4's magic wand, wood wheel, mk2 repeaters, HK tweeters & Angel eye projectors.
Old 28th August 2018, 12:01   #13
paul d
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Saab 93 'vert

All the mention has been of the UBP, is the In Tank Pump ok? Did you do the leak back test?

Other stupid things that can cause issues with the diesels (well they've caused me issues) are coked up EGR & Inlet Manifold, also the intercooler pipe (O rings & collapsing) Probably none of these but always worth a check.

Regards

Paul
Old 28th August 2018, 12:02   #14
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino View Post
Morning all,

Unfortunately I am still experiencing issues with low fuel pressure causing the engine to cut out whilst accelerating.
I have changed the O rings on the pressure regulater & yesterday replaced the UBP with one from DMGRS. Initially things looked good, but coming home from the cinema last night the e nine cut out 3 times.
Quote:
In each case I wasn't even accelerating hard.
Now unfortunately I had let the fuel run low last week, the warning light came on driving home from work Saturday before I filled up. I'm wondering if there's some muck in the lines. I only replaced the filter a few hundred miles ago, but maybe its worth doing again?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. It's potentially dangerous, not to mention very annoying. I'm at a loss as to what else I can check.

Thanks,

Rob
HI Rob.
I doubt there is any muck in the line, but what you do need to do as a test is remove the fuel hose from the UBP at the point it enters the fuel filter, stick the end in an open container ie pop bottle washed out, an old jug etc get someone to turn the ignition to II and see how the fuel comes out of the hose if it splutters then the UBP could be at fault, even though it is new, sometimes they can be faulty.

Personally I only use Pierburg UBP they are the best, what fuel filter do you have fitted ie what make ? also clean the contacts on the low pressure pump on top of the fuel filter by spraying with contact cleaner, spray a little into the plug also and push it on and off a few times, this is making sure you have covered those points.

Make sure you do not let the fuel go below the 1/4 if possible use that point as the empty mark, it invariably sounds like the ITP needs to be replaced, have you also had a leak back test done ?

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2018, 16:04   #15
Gino
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Thanks Gents,

I'll do the checks as suggested, I have done these before but it's worth trying again. I'm not sure what brand the fuel filter is, it did come from DMGRS though.
What is odd though, the engine will cut out with a full tank. I had filled up Saturday night & yesterday I had the trouble.
One thing I didn't mention, I am having difficulty starting. The engine will spin for 10 seconds or so before starting.

I'll update you after I gave been driving again.

Rob

MODS DONE;

Old 1st September 2018, 11:52   #16
Gino
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Afternoon all,

I was hoping to be reporting back with good news, but sadly that isn't the case 😢

So, to recap: under hard acceleration the engine will cut out due to low fuel pressure. I have replaced then 'o' rings on the hp regulator & the UBP. I have also replaced the fuel filter. This issue has only been present this summer. Over the past couple of weeks the engine has also become harder to start, I originally thought it would be linked to the fuel pressure, but now that I know the pump is OK & I still have trouble. I presume this would potentially be the cam sensor?
If anyone has any inkling as to what the causes could be I would greatly interested.

I'll post up the make of the fuel filter later. The old fuel pump was a pier berg.

Thanks,

Rob

MODS DONE;

Old 1st September 2018, 14:48   #17
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

You still don't say if you have done a leak back test?

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2018, 15:11   #18
Gino
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Sorry stocktake,

I have had a leak back test done & it seemed good. It is something that may need to be repeated - maybe the new fuel pump would make a difference. If there was an issue with a leak back test, what would be the likely cause/remedy?

Thanks,

Rob

MODS DONE;

Old 1st September 2018, 16:20   #19
Snagger
Gets stuck in

ROVER 75 CDT CLUB SE 02

Wink

I don't know if the cam position sensor is easily accessible on these motors, but I had these symptoms on my accord diesel tourer, sensor had a coat of oil on it, (gave symptoms of fuel starvation ) wiped clean and re installed seemed to do the trick.

Worth a shot and cost free

Snagger.

How to remove CDT alternator from top & side :-

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=199608

Battery charge light problems on a diesel ?

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...3&postcount=64

Diesel charging FBH voltage supply diagram

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ght=cdt+charge

How to identify voltage regulator type diesel

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...56&postcount=3

Snagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2018, 16:39   #20
Gino
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Hi snagger,

One simply removes the engine cover & the sensor is immediately below on the left.
I'm not sure it'll make a difference, but as you said, it's free! 😄 I like free fixes.

Thanks,

Rob

MODS DONE;