Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Technology Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 28th June 2018, 12:33   #1
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts
Default Rasberry Pi?

I have a weather station, where the outdoor sensors wirelessly link to an indoor display (console), that display then can store 21 days worth of the data, after which it is over written FIFO.

So at least every 21 days, unless I loose the data - I have to connect it to a PC via USB where upon some software on the PC (desktop) pulls the data off it using some software specially written for the purpose. The software has a forum and the suggestion is that a R Pi can be used and left on permanently to provide a web page of the data and store the data.

The console has to be upstairs, where the desktop is, in order to be able to get data. So just checking the weather data involve a trip to the console or firing up the PC to see its records.

Ideally, a web page available on the LAN accessible from any PC/Laptop would be much better - which is where a R Pi I am told can come in. The author of the PC software has written something which can be run on the R Pi, but more details are scant and I am well out of touch with modern stuff like R Pi. In the 70', 80's I was very involved with Basic, machine level code and etc.. It seems I need a R Pi, plus an SD card to make it work.

There seem to be at least three versions of the R Pi and a plus and a B. Some have wifi, some HDMI, some USB, some bluetooth - all very, very confused. Any one into these things?

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2018, 14:44   #2
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi

An Arduino would be an alternative and are very low cost.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2018, 14:57   #3
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi

An Arduino would be an alternative and are very low cost.

An arduino is hardly capable of serving a web page on the network without a lot of low level programming skill being put into it.

Grab an RPi 3 model B, micro sd card I'd recommend a beginner connect a monitor and keyboard directly to the RPi. Then install raspbian or use noobs to install raspbian (you'll have to use Google and Raspberry Pi forums to work out what all this means). Once you've got that up and running then take a look at your use case (downloading the logs from your weather station and serving a pretty web page).

I think at the last count I have 5 RPi in various versions doing stuff around the house from HTPC to security cameras. (did have one in the car until recently) Be prepared to learn and be self taught - there's a huge amount of help out there in terms of online tutorials and websites. There's also forums (and the Raspberry Pi stack exchange site) for when you need to ask someone else for help - Just be prepared to show that you've tried to solve your problems yourself first.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2018, 16:43   #4
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
I think at the last count I have 5 RPi in various versions doing stuff around the house from HTPC to security cameras. (did have one in the car until recently) Be prepared to learn and be self taught - there's a huge amount of help out there in terms of online tutorials and websites. There's also forums (and the Raspberry Pi stack exchange site) for when you need to ask someone else for help - Just be prepared to show that you've tried to solve your problems yourself first.

Thanks, I think I will have a go. Its just that the forum which supports the weather system for this use, sounds very, very confused.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

Old 28th June 2018, 17:01   #5
ceedy
This is my second home

All Trophy Blue ,ZT260#50 , ZT CDTI Auto, ZR105+ and 1.8T Firefrost spoiling the Set .

Thanked 1,214 Times in 768 Posts

Got an is 3 Pi with wifi etc , used it for all sorts of stuff.. running my 3d printer with OCtoPI software, just as a small easy to use Linuxy PC and just as a Media Station with Kodi ..

Very Easy to Update with new SD card images vai the PC

As the prices are not a lot Different best to get the latest model about 30 quids .. or there are a few 2nd hand ones that pop up.

Heres mine in its pretty green 3d printed case ..

C.
Wifey's Zr105, MY CDTI & 260 #50 and
Number One sons 1.8T in Firefrost
When I were a lad
Zero to 142 in 10.25 secs at the Pod on my Blown Norton.
210 Kart Champ in 70's

ceedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2018, 17:13   #6
Marmy6
Regular poster

Rover 75 Club Saloon

You can download the MagPi official magazine for free and get access to the back issues as well from raspberrypi.org/magpi They often have projects like weather stations, and home automation, I enjoy reading it but haven't actually tackled any projects yet, just waiting for inspiration.
My car was born at 12:57:11, Tuesday September 11th 2001.

33,005th 75 of 112,381
1,140th 75 CDT Club out of 3,403
2,457th 75 in White Gold Metallic out of 12,251.
Marmy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2018, 22:03   #7
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedy View Post
Got an is 3 Pi with wifi etc , used it for all sorts of stuff.. running my 3d printer with OCtoPI software, just as a small easy to use Linuxy PC and just as a Media Station with Kodi ..

I have ordered one now, R Pi 3 B+ complete with case, PSU, 16Gb SD with Noob ready installed.

Kodi is my backup plan for use if I fail with the weather station application.

Old 28th June 2018, 22:21   #8
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
Thanks, I think I will have a go. Its just that the forum which supports the weather system for this use, sounds very, very confused.

pop a link to the info for the weather system and I'll take a look over the weekend.

Where?:
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
Old 29th June 2018, 08:11   #9
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
pop a link to the info for the weather system and I'll take a look over the weekend.

It is all very confused and there are a few separate threads about using a Pi. I am not even sure you can look at them as a none member, but here is the thread I started....

http://sandaysoft.com/forum/viewtopi...130581#p130581

The Pi software is called CumulusMX. Cumulus is the name of the Windows software, which I am presently using on the Desktop to grab the data.

Both work with several different weather stations.

Old 29th June 2018, 11:07   #10
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Ask Dazza1223 for a link to download his prepared image and write it to your sdcard for your Pi and set it up from there would be my plan...

Where?:
Mods/Retrofits:

To do: