Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Technology Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 17th June 2007, 09:50   #11
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Carlos View Post
Crikey, just realised I have about 4000 on my PC:SHOCKED: Really do need to get that seperate hard drive asap.
Now's a good time to do it! I've been looking at LaCie HDD's with regard to my car stereo (which has one which I thought was knackered, but which turned out to be formatted incorrectly) Mine is 40 GB and can hold around 700 albums.

There's some good ones on Pixmania, for example this one:-

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/3825...gn-by-f-a.html

£89 for the cool Porsche designed drive, this one at 500 GB - enough for 8500+ albums!! (or the complete works of Shakespeare 100,000 times, or 1,750,000 digital photos!!!!)
uk_dave&gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2007, 11:31   #12
BMC123
Posted a thing or two

2004 1.8 Connoisseur SE, 1999 XJ8

Being a technician, I don't rely on hard drives to be honest... I have all my mp3 collection burned onto DVD's and put in one of those wallets you buy for a couple of quid. I have a list of whats on each disc, and have them numbered so I can find stuff when I want it
I find a lot of people forget you can put at least 40 albums on 1 DVD as long as you remember to save them as data and not audio.
To me, its easier to carry around than a removable drive
Old 17th June 2007, 11:47   #13
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

Good point about the hard drives, but each to their own I suppose!

I use the removable HDD in the car, but don't actually have to carry it around, as it stays in the glovebox! (it only comes out when I need to add stuff to it) Also, it's tiny! It measures around 6" x 3" x 3/4"

Just in case it goes belly up, all the tracks are backed up on the PC (and they all come off CD's I own in the first place, as I'm not really a "downloader")
Old 17th June 2007, 15:49   #14
BMC123
Posted a thing or two

Over the past 2 years, I have ripped and converted nearly half of my collection onto MP3, just for use in a little Sony MP3 player I have, as I tend to use the originals in the house, as being a bit of an audio head I'd rather listen to the "full versions" on the home hi-fi than a "lossy" format such as mp3.
Although I have now started doing 1:1 audio backups of my old records onto DVD audio using my mates recording rig, as he has one of them really really expensive record players that I can never remember the name of - rigar planar or something like that with a Kora Hermes DAC thingymabob.

thousands of pounds worth of kit he has, and there I am replicating my 1970's and 80's record collection on it

Gary Numan and Tomita never sounded so good
Old 17th June 2007, 17:49   #15
Paranoid Carlos
Posted a thing or two

Starlight CDT Conn SE

Used to be into my audio in a big way and would spend hundreds on cables and feet etc, till my wife realised I wasn't actually listening to the music just listening for imperfections

Then I discovered mp3's and never looked back changing Cd's now seems such a hassle only 15 tracks, will hardly have time to sit down

Any recommended separate hard drives, doesn't need to be massive just enough to have as a backup if this pc turns turtle:lol:
Old 17th June 2007, 18:13   #16
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

The LaCie one I use seems very good. Uses power from USB and very small and quiet!
Old 17th June 2007, 18:15   #17
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMC123 View Post
I can never remember the name of - rigar planar or something like that
Close! Rega Planar.... Very nice!
Old 17th June 2007, 18:45   #18
BMC123
Posted a thing or two

That's the one :lol:

I think apart from myself, his brother is the only person allowed to use it. his wife is not even allowed to dust it, let alone touch it :SHOCKED: It's in his own "studio" room, and she does not go in there at all, she told me last month she never knew just how obsessive he was about music until she discovered that he had spent more money on building the studio than he had on the house. :lol:

I got some of his old cable, and sold it on ebay i was surprised how much people will pay even for second hand stuff.
Old 17th June 2007, 18:51   #19
Paranoid Carlos
Posted a thing or two

Starlight CDT Conn SE

mate of mine would only listen in his special room with moccasins on, and paid thousands for the wood flooring, I didn't go that far but have been known to get excited over cables......

I'm over it now though, get just a much pleasure through my cheap PC speakers and my old Technics midi system.

I had a bit of a moment a few years ago and realized it was about the music and not the amount of strands in the cable