Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Technology Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 27th May 2007, 00:40   #1
andy
Avid contributor

ZT-T cdti automatic

Default display problem - suggestions very welcome - please !

evesham 2600 with xp about 5 years old, aoc flatpanel monitor, about 3yrs old
We have aquired a display problem, the right half of the screen has got a red pattern reminicient of old style listing paper
have tried replacing the video driver (radeon 9700) , this alters pattern to whole screen, significantly worse so did system restore
found two drivers listed in device manager, disabled one then other and then both, doesnt seem to make any difference, and as both are now disabled where does the 'default' driver reside ?
not sure this has any revalence but switched off house power supply 2 days before (computer was off at the time ) - upset computer bigtime (not first time this has happened ) after several resets and a system restore everything seemed back to normal
Any observations/suggestions from you knowledgeble guys would be welcome as I am now somewhat out of my depth
Andy
andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2007, 04:07   #2
radi8or
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Have you cleaned inside your computer lately, dust and fluff causes overheating.
Is the fan on the card working, if it has one.
Try reseating the card.
Make sure lead from PSU is connected properly, if it has one.

You could try updating to the the latest driver from here,
http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/xp/radeonx-xp.html

reccomended that you remove all old drivers etc. before installing new one,
http://www.tweakxp.com/article37536.aspx

Also update motherboard chipset driver.

Your problems after turning on mains supply could point to a dodgy PSU.
Old 27th May 2007, 12:54   #3
BMC123
Posted a thing or two

2004 1.8 Connoisseur SE, 1999 XJ8

More or less as above, although when having a clean out use some compressed air, do not take a hoover near it, or use a brush!

It does sound like a corrupt driver, or possibly a faulty monitor, have you access to or can you borrow another monitor to check it?

If your computer was switched off when you turned the mains off, it should not have made any difference at all, unless you mains supply is prone to "spikes" a mains filter plugboard would be a good plan either way.

its very hard to diagnose problems not sitting in front of a machine, (having said that its sometimes hard to diagnose when they are in front of me ) :lol: But constant system restores would lead me down the road of thinking something else is afoot...

back up your data fairly sharpish, as the symptoms you describe can also be a sign of impending drive and/or PSU failure (you should have backups anyway)

of course, it could be as simple as a loose graphics card, just remember to "ground" yourself before re-seating the card.
Old 27th May 2007, 13:22   #4
ColinB
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer 1.8T Club SE

Just an idea, have you tried using the monitors on screen menu and doing "auto adjust". It can bring the display sharp and correct again.
ColinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2007, 15:35   #5
Tatts
This is my second home

MG6 TL

Go into the monitors menu (one of the buttons on the front) toggle through them, and look for a 'Degaussing' one. Try that.

Also, you've not got any strong megnatic sources near the monitor have you? Eg; unshielded speakers?
Tatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2007, 21:25   #6
andy
Avid contributor

ZT-T cdti automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by radi8or View Post
Have you cleaned inside your computer lately, dust and fluff causes overheating.
Is the fan on the card working, if it has one.
Try reseating the card.
Make sure lead from PSU is connected properly, if it has one.

You could try updating to the the latest driver from here,
http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/xp/radeonx-xp.html

reccomended that you remove all old drivers etc. before installing new one,
http://www.tweakxp.com/article37536.aspx

Also update motherboard chipset driver.

Your problems after turning on mains supply could point to a dodgy PSU.

Thanks Bob, driver I had found ( though was concerned that it was a bit ' universal' and didn't mention 9700 in heading), tweekXP I had not, very comprehensive
Now I am worrying, I only have a microlight license , not a commercial pilot, looks as though it is flying a bit high for me !!!!
OK dumb question - if I remove/delete all the graphics drivers don't I loose the display and if I do, how do I then proceed ?

Have aquired today an old dell 850 at present with 2000 loaded, intend to wipe and load XP and get it connected then get into my problem, it is 2 years or so since evesham was blown out so I am sure it is well 'fluffed' up
The problem with computer being 'upset' when disconnected from mains has been around since new, we have learned to live with it, it had a few problems when new 'sorted' under g'tee
Its not out of the question to buy a new unit, its the aggravation that may (will) ensue that put us off !, what do you think of vista ?

Thanks
Andy
Old 27th May 2007, 21:58   #7
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

If your Computers more than 12 months old don't touch Vista at the present time IMHO as just to many problems with drivers and Compatability problems, also older Program problems and anti virus programs etc.
Wait for SP1 or buy a Brand new up to date Machine!
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2007, 21:59   #8
andy
Avid contributor

ZT-T cdti automatic

Thanks guys for suggestions
I dont think it is the monitor as 'playing' with drivers alters 'patterns' on screen, sometimes a webpage is just faintly visible in pattern, sometimes fullscreen sometimes half screen
Irritatingly it is not possible to make out pages, though one looks as if it may be easyjet
Will try a different CRT monitor tomorrow
Andy
Old 27th May 2007, 22:14   #9
andy
Avid contributor

ZT-T cdti automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDotCom View Post
If your Computers more than 12 months old don't touch Vista at the present time IMHO as just to many problems with drivers and Compatability problems, also older Program problems and anti virus programs etc.
Wait for SP1 or buy a Brand new up to date Machine!
As psu is suspect and now also graphics it may make sense to buy a new one, and hence go for vista
Or would you reccomend carrying on for a bit with a 'cobble'
Turned out sky couldn't supply their packaged broadband as we are too far from exchange/ it is not available on the exchange after all, and we are stuck with existing 1mb connection, do not game or do anything too demanding with computer, so really do not need anything too fancy, it would just be wasted
Andy
Old 27th May 2007, 22:49   #10
Lates
This is my second home

Jaguar XE

Our new lappy is running Vista :guns: sometimes wished I never bothered waaaay too twitchy for my liking.
Lates is offline   Reply With Quote