Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Technology Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 11th May 2007, 08:06   #1
The_Monk
I really should get out more.......

-

Default Networking again...

OK, have solved problem no.1 myself but have developed a new problem!

I have linked a CCTV system to the network and can access this system off every PC that is on the network. Success! Hurrah! How can I push this system to the internet so it can be accessed from a new site? I have a netgear router that has no PC's left on when everyone goes home and the CCTV is a dedicated digital recorder that has its own IP address built into the system. Any ideas?

Last edited by The_Monk; 11th May 2007 at 13:43..
The_Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2007, 22:45   #2
Simon
Banned

-

If the router has IP forwarding then you should be able to type the IP address of the CCTV system into any web browser to get access to it.

I presume the CCTV system has a web-based access front to it? And it has a fixed IP address? If so then the first paragraph is true.

For example, if the CCTV's IP is 123.123.1.2 then you would type http : // 123.123.1.2 (without the spaces) into a web browser.

The other option is that the router has a fixed IP address and you have a forwarding system enabled to give you a port number to access the CCTV system directly thru the router. This would mean typing in the routers IP address followed by an additional ".xx" number on the end to access the CCTV system.

Confused anyone yet? It make sense in my head, so forgive me if I haven't explained things quite clearly....
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2007, 06:48   #3
Departed
Retired

--

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon D View Post
If the router has IP forwarding then you should be able to type the IP address of the CCTV system into any web browser to get access to it.

I presume the CCTV system has a web-based access front to it? And it has a fixed IP address? If so then the first paragraph is true.

For example, if the CCTV's IP is 123.123.1.2 then you would type http : // 123.123.1.2 (without the spaces) into a web browser.

The other option is that the router has a fixed IP address and you have a forwarding system enabled to give you a port number to access the CCTV system directly thru the router. This would mean typing in the routers IP address followed by an additional ".xx" number on the end to access the CCTV system.

Confused anyone yet? It make sense in my head, so forgive me if I haven't explained things quite clearly....

Most routers have network address translation (NAT) so you can't see your local IP addresses from the internet side. So only the IP addresss of your router can be browsed to. If this is fixed, you have no problem, but many ISPs change your IP address every time you log on, so unless you want to pay them to get a fixed address, you need to use a service that will track your IP address and link it to a domain, then you can access your stuff using a URL.

However the network recorder probably has a web front end that can be set up to appear a page in your domain (once the router is set up to allow traffic across) and you can then browse to it using the IP address or URL depending what you set up.

I must stress this is the theory from when I looked into something similar, I've not actually done it so I'm not speaking from actual experience.
Departed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2007, 10:40   #4
The_Monk

-

I have tried typing the IP in and just get connecting... cant connect! This would be the inbuilt firewall I guess but I cant turn it off! Do I add my IP address from the computer I am using to gain entry?
Old 14th May 2007, 13:39   #5
The_Monk

-

Woo! Have achieved it using dyndns.org but can only access one system at a time. Is there a way to make an option page so I can choose between two systems? I can access one or the other by changing the ip in the router config.
Old 15th May 2007, 11:35   #6
The_Monk

-

Ok i'm pretty sure its the equipment Im using that s hindering my progress now. The router has a built in firewall and requires 'rules' to allow in traffic. However these rules seem to have a an order preference so no matter how many I make the outside world is routed through the first rule, so I can never access the second DVR system. I cant turn off the firewall as it is built to be permantly on.

Do I need a router that allows port forwarding to access both systems?
Old 15th May 2007, 12:20   #7
The_Monk

-

ok scrap that, the router forwards to the correct ports but when I type in the main IP address it forwards to the first one on the list. I've tried adding the port number on the end and the last ip digit of teh internal ip address on the end so xx.xx.xx.xx:port and xx.xx.xx.xx.x but it wont connect. Anyone still with me? :$