Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 2nd December 2013, 09:11   #21
DAS68
Posted a thing or two

2001 75 CDT Moonstone Green,160 Remap, Hairpins, Half Leather Contemporaryand knob, ZT wheel. TAZU.

Well I fired up the old girl up for a pre MOT drive to check things out and guess what, both ABS and Air Bag lights are back on again!! I have canceled the MOT and I am back on public transport.

I can't drive anywhere to get on a T4 without an MOT so would a home diagnostic machine be worth a punt for the ABS issues?

Improvise, Adapt and Overcome
DAS68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2013, 09:16   #22
ZedTeeTee
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissy1810 View Post
That's why I said use an m12 bolt, once you've tapped it in, you use the nut to pull it back out which files the hole clear for the new sensor to just drop in the hole
This method gets the Mofo Seal of Approval :icon_mrgreen:
ZedTeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2013, 09:38   #23
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mofo View Post
This method gets the Mofo Seal of Approval :icon_mrgreen:
Commonly known as the Dissy method works a treat.
Old 2nd December 2013, 09:55   #24
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS68 View Post
I can't drive anywhere to get on a T4 without an MOT so would a home diagnostic machine be worth a punt for the ABS issues?
Easy enough to check all the sensors and magnetic reluctors with a voltmeter first.

I got an old ABS plug and socket from a scrappy and soldered a long cable between the two. This is used to plug any wheel sensor into the OSF socket, then spin the wheel and use the speedo as a diagnostic to narrow the fault down.

Using French Mike's voltmeter test jack the wheel up and when slowly rotating the wheel you should see the voltage switch between 1.7v and 0.7v on the sensor. On my long ABS lead I have a bit of choc block so I can pin the sensor cables without going through the insulation.

If you mark the wheel and the sensor fails to read certain segments on the magnetic reluctor then it's new bearing time. If the sensor isn't switching at all it could be faulty or not far enough in to pick up the reluctor.

On mine the sensor was randomly missing segments so after checking it was fully in I filed a bit of the bracket to move the sensing head a bit further in and it then worked fine.

The rear ABS plugs are behind the rear seat back.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2013, 10:12   #25
DAS68
Posted a thing or two

2001 75 CDT Moonstone Green,160 Remap, Hairpins, Half Leather Contemporaryand knob, ZT wheel. TAZU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
Easy enough to check all the sensors and magnetic reluctors with a voltmeter first.

I got an old ABS plug and socket from a scrappy and soldered a long cable between the two. This is used to plug any wheel sensor into the OSF socket, then spin the wheel and use the speedo as a diagnostic to narrow the fault down.

Using French Mike's voltmeter test jack the wheel up and when slowly rotating the wheel you should see the voltage switch between 1.7v and 0.7v on the sensor. On my long ABS lead I have a bit of choc block so I can pin the sensor cables without going through the insulation.

If you mark the wheel and the sensor fails to read certain segments on the magnetic reluctor then it's new bearing time. If the sensor isn't switching at all it could be faulty or not far enough in to pick up the reluctor.

On mine the sensor was randomly missing segments so after checking it was fully in I filed a bit of the bracket to move the sensing head a bit further in and it then worked fine.

I dont understand Mike, a bit beyond my tiny mind Im think!! I dont know how to use a mulitmeter either

Old 2nd December 2013, 14:30   #26
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

From what I've read there aren't any cheap home diagnostic machines that can read ABS faults.

Does the ABS light come on as soon as the ignition key is turned or does it go off and then come back on again when you start driving?

Seeing as the car is off the road maybe worth contacting a mobile auto electrician?
Old 2nd December 2013, 15:12   #27
92 squadron
Drink 92 SQUADRON BEER

Jaguar X Type 2.2 SE Diesel estate Mem No789

Did mine and the ABS light went out after fitting, cracked it I thought. Went for test run and when I came to brake I got a shudder on the pedal as though ABS had kicked in for a locked-up wheel. I then drove a couple of hundred yards further down the road and the ABS light came on again but the braking was back to normal.
Had a T4 session to find the problem but could not trace it, could be a chaft wire between the connector and the ABS unit, they said.
Gave up in the end and scrapped the car.
Good luck!!
92 squadron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2013, 15:29   #28
DAS68
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
From what I've read there aren't any cheap home diagnostic machines that can read ABS faults.

Does the ABS light come on as soon as the ignition key is turned or does it go off and then come back on again when you start driving?

Seeing as the car is off the road maybe worth contacting a mobile auto electrician?

Hi Mike- it comes on with the ignition and stays on, although when I first replaced it it went off with the ignition, the battery was flat so I changed it and then it came back on

Old 2nd December 2013, 16:10   #29
DAS68
Posted a thing or two

Quote:

This is the meter I have, can anyone tell me what setting is should be on for the ABS to be tested?

Old 2nd December 2013, 16:47   #30
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 squadron View Post
Did mine and the ABS light went out after fitting, cracked it I thought. Went for test run and when I came to brake I got a shudder on the pedal as though ABS had kicked in for a locked-up wheel. I then drove a couple of hundred yards further down the road and the ABS light came on again but the braking was back to normal.
Had a T4 session to find the problem but could not trace it, could be a chaft wire between the connector and the ABS unit, they said.
Gave up in the end and scrapped the car.
Good luck!!
No help for you Mike but could be to anyone else with the same symptoms, as that is exactly what mine was doing before the sensor was moved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS68 View Post
This is the meter I have, can anyone tell me what setting is should be on for the ABS to be tested?

3 clicks anti-clockwise and you are set to measure DC volts.