Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 10th June 2009, 08:18   #1
Dacman
Loves to post

MG ZT 160+

Default V6 Coolant loss

I apologise, i know this has been already talked about a million times but fresh ideas are always welcome.

Currently using 1/2 a mug full of coolant per week. No obvious signs of leaks from pipes, have looked at the themostat and it appears fine. The coolant cap was replaced about a year ago.

This leads me to think the my be an internal leak. There is a very small amount of what looks like mayo under the oil filler cap and i mean small amount, the oil itself looks fine nice n black there is no mayo on the dipstick, the coolant looks fine with no contamination.

The fan appears to work fine, eg start car from cold no fan , turn on ac fan starts slow speed, turn ac off fan stops, engine heats up fan turns on def sound like all 3 speeds working.

A friend told me to run the car till at op tempreture and squeeze a few coolant pipes as they should be fairly soft, which they are, he said if they were hard this could be pressurisation and poss hgf.

This am i checked the coolant and to be fair it looked fine, i did read a thread about starting the car with the cap off, i did this and the coolant quickly came over the top of the tank, i presume this to be fine, is it?

Sorry but i am righting this down as i think of it.

The doesnt seem to be a massive amount of steam coming out of the exhaust although there are whisps.

The car has not overheated.

lol thats all i can think of, any ideas please

dac
Dacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2009, 09:30   #2
Jules
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE Twilight and 10 other 75 ZT's :O

Thanked 1,116 Times in 763 Posts

MMm doesn't sound good with Mayo around the cap

Look at Kaiser's posts & cures on the subject.

Newbies do now!!
1. Plenum drains..all 3 or 4 year dependent
2. Cooling fan..All speeds functioning
3. Bonnet cable divider block
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2009, 12:14   #3
Dacman
Loves to post

MG ZT 160+

Thanks for pointing that out Jules. Reading the posts it does sound 'maybe' more the liner problem as opposed to full hgf. Suppose i will not know unless the engine is stripped.

Maybe worth £10 of kseal to see? If it works it would give me time to save some cash to have the engine sorted correctly, if it doesnt ill be working 24/7 to pay for it.

hmmmmmmmmm

dac
Old 10th June 2009, 12:20   #4
amableson
Gets stuck in

Ex Rover 75 owner

I am sorry to be the bringer of bad news but the comment you made with regard to leaving the cap off and starting the car from cold and the tank overflowed does not sound good i would try some sealer of some type 1st to see if it helps, if you like i will take the cap off my car tonight when i go home( i bike to work) and run it up to temp and see what happens, ill report back later.
Old 10th June 2009, 12:25   #5
Dacman
Loves to post

MG ZT 160+

That would be appriciated Andrew, would be interesting to see the difference, if any.

By sealant do you mean something like kseal?

dac
Old 10th June 2009, 12:34   #6
amableson
Gets stuck in

Ex Rover 75 owner

My thoughts are that the combustion gases are getting into the water jacket and causing the water level to rise over the tank fairly quickly, had this happen on a transit van a while ago, it would run ok but the pressure of the coolant held the gases back just enough to be ok but with the cap off it came over the radiator and it was hgf having said that some bars leaks sealed it fine.And it is rare for a kv6 to have hgf. Touch wood!!!!!
Old 10th June 2009, 14:57   #7
driverjgp
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Club 2.5 V6 Auto

Same thing happened to my KV6 it was using a small amount of coolant a week, under further investigation it turned out it was leaking down the exhaust bore so I part ex it right quick, I done a DVLA check on it after 6 months of part exing it in and it had been scrapped so it must of been terminal.

Jason Player
Woodbridge,
Suffolk

Money can't buy happiness. But it sure makes misery easier to live with.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rover 75 Club Auto K-Series 2.5 Litre Quad Cam 24 Valve in Steel Blue December 2000 Cowley build.
driverjgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2009, 15:09   #8
Jules
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE Twilight and 10 other 75 ZT's :O

Thanked 1,116 Times in 763 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by amableson View Post
I am sorry to be the bringer of bad news but the comment you made with regard to leaving the cap off and starting the car from cold and the tank overflowed does not sound good i would try some sealer of some type 1st to see if it helps, if you like i will take the cap off my car tonight when i go home( i bike to work) and run it up to temp and see what happens, ill report back later.
Mmm not sure it you can always go by that as a few KV6's I've taken the cap off has over flowed from a normal level, if left to get up to temp, but OK if cap then refitted.

I've boiled it down to (no Pun intended !!) the fact the expansion tank isn't quite large enough for a KV6 or indeed a 1.8.

Can someone else do the same "Cap off test " please?

Newbies do now!!
1. Plenum drains..all 3 or 4 year dependent
2. Cooling fan..All speeds functioning
3. Bonnet cable divider block
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2009, 19:55   #9
black olive
I really should get out more.......

260 SE vin 214 ( last mark 1 260 )

I wager the "expansion tank" has been overfilled and is blowing excess fluid out- the max mark is right at the bottom of the tank
Old 10th June 2009, 21:49   #10
Dacman
Loves to post

MG ZT 160+

Possible Black Olive,

Its normally about 1cm over the bottom where it says max and has been for some time, its only recently the level has dropped.

Checked the oil filler cap tonight and there are water droplets. I cleaned the small amount of mayo off this afternoon. Could this be condensation. There is no water/mayo on the dipstick, and the coolant appears to be clean.

dac