Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 11th March 2019, 19:32   #291
v-man
I really should get out more.......

Ford Fezza Poverty Spec & ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA View Post
Since then a lot has happened. The move down here as certainly sharpened my brain, made me more alert. Well, it’s only taken me eight and a half months to realise that the cutlery tray in the drawer was the wrong way round, wondered why the tin opener kept “disappearing”.
Still not got to grips with the oven on the cooker, I have a witness to this. However the smoke alarm cannot actually speak words but sure can BEEP! Loudly.

Been thinking about looking for a place to buy instead of renting. Pro’s and con’s to renting equals the buying of a place. I do like it here, suits me fine. Seen a few places I like but am finding fault with them. Maybe getting stuck in the rut again. We’ll have to wait and see.
No-one has moved in yet next door, there was people in there yesterday but not aware if they are moving in or the landlords come round to see what needs doing.

Thanks for reading, and definitely not going back.................................
Bob, have you considered buying a halogen oven? For example - https://www.andrewjamesworldwide.com...inged-lid-p138 - other models and brands available.

Ideal for single people or couples, heats up quickly and seems to save electric over a normal oven. Easy to clean too, should the need arise.

Report potholes, flytipping, broken streetlights - www.fixmystreet.com

Find cheaper diesel/petrol - www.petrolprices.com
2001 Rover 45 1.8 Impression S owned for 15 years, now scrapped.
v-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2019, 23:46   #292
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Been thinking about looking for a place to buy instead of renting. Pro’s and con’s to renting equals the buying of a place. I do like it here, suits me fine. Seen a few places I like but am finding fault with them. Maybe getting stuck in the rut again. We’ll have to wait and see.

Buying to me, is both a freedom and financial decision.

Freedom to treat the place as you would your own, it is your own to do with just as you please, not one to stop or restrict you. You are in charge, no permissions needed.

Financial in that no one is seeking to make a profit out of you and many of the repairs you can manage yourself anyway, more quickly than a landlord would tackle them and at a lot less cost, even if you have to pay someone.

I would hate to be renting. If you can buy, buy.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2019, 08:07   #293
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-man View Post
Bob, have you considered buying a halogen oven? For example - https://www.andrewjamesworldwide.com...inged-lid-p138 - other models and brands available.

Ideal for single people or couples, heats up quickly and seems to save electric over a normal oven. Easy to clean too, should the need arise.
I’ve had my halogen oven for 6 years now. It is a Andrew James model. Would not be with out it. I no longer use the gas oven or grill. Got a decent toaster plus you can do toast in the halogen, although it can be a bit long winded. Having said that it it does do ‘ansome cheese on toast.

232750. Over 3 months since I drove Banana.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2019, 10:33   #294
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
I’ve had my halogen oven for 6 years now. It is a Andrew James model. Would not be with out it. I no longer use the gas oven or grill. Got a decent toaster plus you can do toast in the halogen, although it can be a bit long winded. Having said that it it does do ‘ansome cheese on toast.

I'm extremely well set up for cooking, not that I do much.

A twin gas oven, the top half of which doubles as a toaster, 4 burner gas hob, extract hood which sucks to the outside, I have a microwave which can also grill/toast and work as a conventional small oven, electric toaster plus a couple of slow cookers and electric steak type grills, a toastie maker somewhere and a cheap coffee machine.

My caravan in my drive has a full oven, grill and hob, plus gas, if all else fails

When I replace something because it is nearing end of life, I tend to keep the old as a spare in a cupboard, so I am never stuck with a broken appliance. I have a spare kettle, toaster and coffee machine stashed away. Buy new, the oldest then gets thrown out.

You cannot beat having a plan A, B and C

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2019, 09:27   #295
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool Been here.........................

.......................................... 9 months now.

Looking around to buy a home now. The house next door to me is coming up For Sale. Going to ask the owners what they want for it. I need to start thinking about the future.

Been in contact with a local company about car storage for Banana for when she comes out of the paint shop, no news yet.
If no room at the inn, so to speak, then the house hunting will begin in earnest tomorrow. Today Allen and I are off to Matt’s to collect some car bits.

Still loving it down here, I know I should have done it earlier but that’s life. There is one very plus side, and that the book I have been trying to write has got finally started without any tears from me. I was finding I could not get past the first page without the memories flooding my cheeks.
Next Tuesday, 19th, will be 10 years since that day that changed our lives forever. There is not a day that goes by I think about the “what if’s”. Val will remain in my heart forevermore.

So I might be moving on to a new home down here, but never going back to Essex to live.

Thanks for reading.

onen hag oll
Old 14th March 2019, 06:09   #296
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Good morning Bob, you are doing well in making those changes and coping with your feelings and memories about Val. Have you sought out a garage to rent from the council (if available)? A chap I worked with in the mental hospital in Devizes, had a book published last year about his comical experiences of working in an asylum for 39 years. The book was a work of fiction, so that he could not be sued. After the book was published, he got the bug to write a book about Oliver Cromwell, which was also published. I think you said your book would be for your own use. Hopefully your neighbours will come up trumps. By coincidence, we use a halogen oven for cooking fish. What I like about it, is how the fat is drained off in the process. Have a great day.
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2019, 11:36   #297
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool And so the search...............................

................................................ starts again. Looking ideally for a bungalow but a house will suffice. Must have parking for the girls, and a garage for Banana. Registered with only two estate agents in town this morning. And have 54 viewings over the next two weeks, starting tomorrow.

There is a rather nice bungalow next door to Allen and Val. But an even better house round the corner to where I live at the moment. So we shall see over the next fortnight.

Thanks for reading and the comments.

onen hag oll
Old 19th March 2019, 12:09   #298
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool It’s all go.................

................................... viewing properties. I started at 10am this morning and by Noon I had viewed 6 homes. Got another one this afternoon, that’s the bungalow next to Allen’s house.

First one I looked at was in Tideford on the outskirts of Saltash. Beautiful cottage been totally refurbished from top to bottom. Under floor heating throughout. Stunning. But the downside is you are slap bang on the A38, end property. Bare parking for two cars.
2nd viewing was a bungalow in Saltash. Very pleasant and of good order. Would be tight getting three cars in. Downside is the double yellow lines outside so no parking in the road. Had a very nice loft conversion. Still the view across the road to the funeral directors was ok.

3rd viewing was oh! my! Blooming lovely and well within my price range. Garage and allocated parking space. Possibly do away with the rear garden and make another parking space. Plus side of this property is the owner is a carpenter for Princess Yachts, a very up market boat building company. Allen used to work for them.
4th viewing was in a cul-de-sac. Garage and off street parking. Out of my price range though. Plus would need some work.

5th viewing was a very dowdy bungalow. Obviously the previous owners had either gone into a home or had passed away. Completely out of my price range on buying plus it would need to be completely refurbished. Too much work for me.
6th viewing. Well, too much work needed. The place might have had parking for 7 cars but I’m afraid there was nothing else to say about it. You would think that knowing you have a estate agent/buyer coming round at a pre-arranged time you would at least make an effort to be out of bed.

Still I have the bungalow to look at this afternoon. This is with a different estate agent.

onen hag oll
Old 19th March 2019, 16:55   #299
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool And that’s................

........................ in the running as well. The bungalow is like the
Tardis, small to look at but lots of room inside. Very compact, but all on one level. Totally surrounded in grass. Bordering the lawn on two sides is a brand new fence that cost over a grand to put up. New floor in the bathroom being fitted as of now. New internal doors being fitted as well.

To the right there is a border of small trees separating the garden from the next house. To the left is a driveway and a garage. In the driveway there is a tree, remove that and there is parking for 8 cars. Allen’s garage backs onto the garden as well.
The garage is on the short side but there is a possibility of extending it forwards, so Banana would be ok in the dry.

Right on the upper limit of my price range. But I’ll be submitting an offer in tomorrow once we find out whether there is a preservation order on the tree.
So fingers crossed there isn’t, and Allen can have some more fuel for his wood burner.

onen hag oll
Old 20th March 2019, 17:25   #300
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool The first offer......................

.................................... was a bit cheeky by me, but nothing ventured nothing gained. This is on the bungalow next door to Allen’s.
The owner of the bungalow is on holiday in Florida so is a bit hard to contact but got through ok with the first offer which was naturally turned down.

Had a think and phoned Allen to ask his view on the bungalow, just wanted to know what he thought about it. I have no intention of taking his advice, after all it’s me who will be living there. But to bend an ear of a close friend always helps.
After we chatted I had a sit and a serious think. It’s now or never.

So I have submitted a higher bid, just £5k under the asking price. No point offering anything lower as the owner will no budge on the price. If I get turned down again then switch to either the nice house I viewed yesterday or the other bungalow.
Higher offer has also been refused, owner wants the full asking price.

I still have property to view tomorrow, Friday, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday yet.

So fingers crossed. Thanks for the helpful messages.

onen hag oll