Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 6th January 2013, 18:19   #21
Canonite
This is my second home

BMW 330d Tourer, MG ZT 180 SE XPG, VW Polo 6R 1.2 TDI Bluemotion

Glad to hear you got it sorted and all is ok.
Canonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2013, 17:34   #22
bornagainroverowner

1999 ROVER 75 2.5 Conni. AUTO

Default If buying a V6 you must check this.

I just thought I would post this as when I bought this car, had I known what I know now I would have had a wee Maglite with me and looked through the gap by the alternator to see if it was dry. This one had a very tiny leak since day one. It had 68,000 on the clock and is in first class order otherwise and has been the best car I have ever owned. However had I known what I know now I would have bid the seller down hard to account for the leaky stat. So when I buy my next one I know what I am looking for.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0378edited.JPG (128.1 KB, 160 views)
bornagainroverowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2013, 17:53   #23
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

To do this properly, take the two 8mm bolts off, holding the "quad cam V6" sound cover. Remove the cover and have a good look.
kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2013, 19:40   #24
bornagainroverowner

Default Nah

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
To do this properly, take the two 8mm bolts off, holding the "quad cam V6" sound cover. Remove the cover and have a good look.

Sorry Kaiser I disagree. Today I went to see a 2.5 conni with a friend who having seen mine wanted one. I explained about the stat but it has not put him of. The car we went to see was in beautiful highly polished showroom condition with loads of extras. The vendor was very keen to show us the interior and the boot and he seemed on edge. I asked to open the bonnet and his face fell and he became less bubbly. I immediately shone my Maglite down the gap beside the alternator and saw the tell tale coolant. We told him that we would take the car but only if he mad an allowance for the stat, he offered £100, I said no it had to be £500 minimum. We then took it for a run, came back and with the engine still running and every thing switched on, lights, air con, hazards, fogs, radio, wipers, etc, we opened the bonnet once more and there was the unmistakable wisps of steam drifting up from the vee. He stuck to his £100 offer but we left him with it as there are plenty out there. It took 2 seconds minimum to spot the coolant through the gap beside the alternator, no removing of engine covers is required. The vendor knew it was leaking and he gave the game away.
Old 12th January 2013, 23:02   #25
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornagainroverowner View Post
... there was the unmistakable wisps of steam drifting up from the vee.
Duncan,

That's a pretty serious coolant leak. Others are more of a steady seepage which can be hard to spot without removing the engine cover. I can imagine a vendor being reluctant to agree to that particular check though.

Simon
Old 15th January 2013, 15:39   #26
bornagainroverowner

Default Buying checks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Duncan,

That's a pretty serious coolant leak. Others are more of a steady seepage which can be hard to spot without removing the engine cover. I can imagine a vendor being reluctant to agree to that particular check though.

Simon

I agree we were just lucky. However if you remove the expansion tank cap assuming you are going to a cold engine and the level is down I would immediately become suspicious. A good torch is essential as the level indicator is very hard to see. Removing engine covers pre sale is probably not deal, but if you are suspicious the vendor should either agree or come clean and admit to a topping up problem. I was caught when I bought my last one as I had seen it only on line and travelled south to buy on that basis. The vendor met me so the car had been running. However at the time I did not know what I now know. The car was beautifully presented and very low miles so I bought it. But soon discovered I was topping up weekly. K seal woked for a time but eventually the stat cover split. You have to assume vendors are dishonest until they prove otherwise.
Old 26th June 2013, 17:16   #27
dhmatt

MG ZT-T 180

I just wanted to add a thanks to the OP for this thread. The pictures were great and all went very smoothly. Took me just over two hours to get it done, access wasn't an issue with the throttle body out and the engine breather removed. I did drop the securing bolt into the V but my girly hands were able to wriggle in and get it out!
dhmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2013, 16:14   #28
Le Mans 190
I really should get out more.......

RIP Le Mans 190 :(

I've just replaced theThermostat on my KV6
but felt I couldn't do it using the Keyhole Method due to my fat fingers

so have to strip the lot out
Le Mans 190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2014, 11:17   #29
yorkie44

rover 75 saloon

Thumbs up kv6 thermostat

just want to give a huge thank you to canonite i,ve used his keyhole method to change my thermostat and even with a partially disabled hand managed to complete this task quite easily thus saving me lots of ££££'s once again THANK YOU !
yorkie44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2014, 15:02   #30
Lates
This is my second home

Jaguar XE

It isnt that much more work to do the other method imo.
Not too sure if I have seen it on the thread, the battery tray bolts are T40 and Bent coolant pipe is 10mm head, 8mm thread.

As for trying to knock a trader £500 for a stat leak - that was wishful thinking
Lates is offline   Reply With Quote