Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 25th April 2015, 11:13   #1
The Mighty Quinn
Posted a thing or two

2004 mk1 Rover 75 1.8T Club SE saloon (auto)

Default "other" suspension parts necessary?

I will soon be pushing ahead with a front suspension overhaul as I've collected most of the required parts now. Just want to find out (if anyone on here is familiar with the items and their wear rates etc) if parts such as the strut dust covers, the spring aids and spring isolators should also be changed when changing everything else?
These parts are available from Rimmers, but obviously, I'd prefer not to bother unless they were items that generally need changing (now, after 107k). The dust covers look ok to my untrained eye, but I can't see the spring aids or isolators - should I just get them changed while I'm at it?

Cheers,
Karl.
The Mighty Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2015, 19:52   #2
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mighty Quinn View Post
I will soon be pushing ahead with a front suspension overhaul as I've collected most of the required parts now. Just want to find out (if anyone on here is familiar with the items and their wear rates etc) if parts such as the strut dust covers, the spring aids and spring isolators should also be changed when changing everything else?
These parts are available from Rimmers, but obviously, I'd prefer not to bother unless they were items that generally need changing (now, after 107k). The dust covers look ok to my untrained eye, but I can't see the spring aids or isolators - should I just get them changed while I'm at it?

Cheers,
Karl.
I have just completed a front end rebuild of my new auto. The main reason for this was it had quite rusty brake pipes at the front, and the springs were losing their coating and starting to rust, and they didnt have tyre protectors.

I just finished the job today.

For front struts i replaced shock absorbers, and springs, top mounts and bearings, and i bought monroe protection kits for the innards of the spring to protect the shock piston rod.

The rubber isolator, and the rubber tube like thing, and the big washers i reused.

Shocks were £50 a side from kyb, kyb springs £30 each, protection kit £15, and the top mounts about £30 only i cant really remember now where i got them from. I also fitted a pair of tyre protectors.

I also found the job easiest by removing the entire strut complete with hub.

I bought new pinch bolts for the strut, and lower ball joint.

While all that lot was out of the way, i did the front brake pipes, including rubber hoses, fitted new bleed nipples as well, and bought new spring clips and brackets for mounting the flexi hoses.

Just for good measure i also fitted a new engine undertray.
David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote