Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 7th June 2017, 21:38   #1
Astraeus
Regional Secretary North Scotland

MG ZS Exclusive 1.0T Auto 2022

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,058 Posts
Default Tow

On Sunday we took our boat out for a sail/motor to see the dolphins in the Tay Estuary and on way out of harbour there was a small yacht that was having trouble with his out board. Now 3 other yachts had gone on by without asking if he was OK! I popped over to check and indeed his outboard was not starting. However he did get his sail up to get away from harbour entrance . Told him he could radio me on VHF if he needed assistance .
After 3/4 of an hour wind was increasing and his wife was getting worried so he did indeed radio. We immeadiately turned round and motored over and took him in tow. 30 minutes later he was sitting in his pontoon berth.

Had a nice surprise tonight with a knock on the door and a nice bottle of Glen Morangie Whisky. My dad's favourite... Just goes to show there are nice folk out there. On the downside...why did those other 3 boats motor on by without offering likewise? Very selfish and certainly not what is expected of a yacht/boat skipper. I hope they don't experience somebody motoring on by when they are in need. ( mind you it would serve them right)

We lost 30 minutes out of 3 hours out. Big deal. You should always assist others or at least offer help even if not required at the time..

Some folk don't deserve the pleasure boating brings!

Chris
Astraeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2017, 08:24   #2
Coups
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Contemporary SE

Good for you. There is something satisfying about being able to help someone else. Sadly it seems less and less common that people do stop to help their fellow men (or women!).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Coups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2017, 10:30   #3
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Good stuff Chris, nice to know there are those out there who will come to someones assistance

What was a small hiccup could always have become a far more problematic emergency.... so well done you for averting any such problems

Very nice gesture from the Skipper of the vessel in distress afterwards as well