Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 27th June 2017, 00:16   #1
Andy_with_a_screwdriver
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

Default Brake Pad Sensor

Hello all this is my first post. I'm trying to sort a few issues with my recently acquired 75 CDTi Tourer, firstly the ineffective handbrake which only worked slightly on the near side wheel.

I found when the wheels were removed that the rear off side pads were virtually worn out. My local parts shop had a set and I got on with changing the pads. The nearside was straight forward and I checked the handbrake shoes, this is my first experience of them and adjusted as recommended on here. The offside disc was covered with grease and muck which I cleaned, I took the disc off and the shoes were cracked and quite thin so they probably need changing too.

There was a white 2 core wire hanging around which I assume to be the sensor cable and there are 2 bare ends and no sign of a sensor. The brake pad warning light has been on since I bought the car. The bloke I bought the car from said his garage had fitted cheaper pads which didn't have sensors on, and this was why the warning was on. I think he was economical with the truth because judging by the state of the pads they must have been on for about 10 years. He only owned it for 14 months.
Anyway I fitted the new pads and adjusted the handbrake at the wheel and then at the handbrake lever. I took it for a test drive and the foot brake was greatly improved but the handbrake less so, enough to hold the vehicle in neutral on the hill by my house but not in drive. any advice or will it probably need the new shoes? I also had to do the nut up a long way on the handle to get some tension on it.
Also Is it possible to buy a new sensors and refit the wire? or does anyone know if it is left open or short circuit will this turn the warning light off?

Any advice would be appreciated, Thanks Andy.
Andy_with_a_screwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2017, 00:38   #2
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Hi Andy.
Welcome to the forum, if when you checked the shoes they were cracked in my opinion I would change them, are the back plates ok, ie the pins are not being pulled through due to corrosion.

The lack of hand brake hold will be down to the compensator which is made of mild steel and stretches over time, therefore that will need changing for a modified one, stainless steel or a Mini R53 will do the job nicely and you will have an handbrake that will hold you on any hill click the link below and read on cheers Arctic.

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=153360

PS you can change the brake pad wear sensor easy or if you want to turn the light off just joins the two loose wires together, personally I would change the sensor now you have new pads

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "

Last edited by Arctic; 27th June 2017 at 00:40..
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2017, 08:53   #3
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Just to add some detail, the sensor head clips into the recess on the backplate of the innermost pad. This drawing shows what I mean.

Only the front and rear offside (RHS) brakes have wear sensors.

They're quite cheap and easy to get from eBay, etc.

eBay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...ensor&_sacat=0

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2017, 10:22   #4
Andy_with_a_screwdriver
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

T cut, thanks for the diagram and link, thats what I am missing and there its no picture in haynes of where it goes. Sensor ordered thanks.

Arctic, thanks i'll be in touch about the compensator do they come with instructions? I'm not sure where to find it on the car. The handbrake shoes aren't really corroded just cracked and thin. My parts shop can get them for about £20 so i'll do that when I do the sensor.
Old 27th June 2017, 13:21   #5
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_with_a_screwdriver View Post
T cut, thanks for the diagram and link, thats what I am missing and there its no picture in haynes of where it goes. Sensor ordered thanks.

Quote:
Arctic, thanks i'll be in touch about the compensator do they come with instructions? I'm not sure where to find it on the car.
The handbrake shoes aren't really corroded just cracked and thin. My parts shop can get them for about £20 so i'll do that when I do the sensor.
HI Andy
All in the link below and on page 11 of the original thread

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...&postcount=102

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2017, 15:08   #6
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_with_a_screwdriver View Post

Arctic, thanks i'll be in touch about the compensator do they come with instructions? I'm not sure where to find it on the car. The handbrake shoes aren't really corroded just cracked and thin. My parts shop can get them for about £20 so i'll do that when I do the sensor.
The business end of the sensor just pushes into a drilling in the pad, it is nothing more than a loop of wire, a flex, then a black plug to plug it in under the bonnet/ on the inner wing. The plug is next to a pale blue plug, which is the ABS sensor.

Thin handbrake shoes is normal, they suffer very little wear use. Cracked is not usual, but has been reported before. The compensator is hidden by the trim, directly behind (to the rear) the handbrake lever in the cabin.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.

Last edited by HarryM1BYT; 27th June 2017 at 15:11..
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2017, 13:42   #7
Andy_with_a_screwdriver
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
PS you can change the brake pad wear sensor easy or if you want to turn the light off just joins the two loose wires together, personally I would change the sensor now you have new pads

Done this short term until sensor arrives and it has turned the display off.
I'll see what it's like at the front next!
Thanks.