Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 15th January 2020, 12:38   #1
Paulo5000
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Default 1.8T lumpy on start up

My 1.8t has started fine in the morning since I've had (2 months or so) but last two days has died, ran rough on start up, but then sorts itself out after 30 secs or so.

Power seems a little down (but that may be me going up hills!)

Sometimes when going downhill and I lift off, i seem to notice a possible judder/cut out applying very little throttle but this is not happening all the time.

Anyone experienced lumpy running on cold start up and things to check?
Paulo5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2020, 12:51   #2
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Inlet manifold gasket not being compressed enough, due to pulled bushing, warped manifold or elastomer just not sealing, Coolant weeps into cylinder and can cause rough running especially when cold.

Best solution is a late alloy VVC manifold, but look here. Describes the issue with a plastic manifold and what can be done to address.

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...inlet+manifold
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2020, 12:53   #3
Paulo5000
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

I am losing coolant, but none on the drive
Old 15th January 2020, 13:48   #4
Paulo5000
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

The other strange thing I noticed at the weekend was some audi was upmy a*se as usual at the weekend so i put my foot down and he was covered in a huge cloud of white steam in the mirror which very quickly dissipated. I've not seen that before.

Lost about 250ml of coolant over the last 70 miles or so.

So do you think it needs a new IMG?

looks like a complicated job for a newbie?
Old 15th January 2020, 13:56   #5
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

An IMG leak puts coolant into cylinders 1 and 4 typically, so worth removing these spark plugs for examination. Spark plugs with a 'washed' appearance, perhaps with pink staining on the ceramic part are a sign of coolant contamination. This does produce a lumpy startup which improves as the egine warms up.

I haven't heard of the gross steam emission you describe during acceleration though. Are you sure it was steam and not pale blue oil smoke?

You clearly have a coolant leak that's quite serious for this engine, so essential to get it sorted.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2020, 14:15   #6
billh
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

I'm having a similar problem ,I think.Coolant loss at about 1/2 litre per 50 miles. No external signs of leak. Engine runs fine. New (green) IMG about 2000 miles ago. Some mayo at the oil filler which may be due to time of year and mostly short runs or HGF ? No signs of oil or exhaust in expansion tank.
What does the team think,duff IMG install (by me!) or ,more seriously,HGF? 1.8T engine on 109K,by the way.
ETA: Can a leaking IMG cause oil contamination, say by leaking past pistons when standing?

Last edited by billh; 15th January 2020 at 14:22..
billh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2020, 14:18   #7
Paulo5000
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
An IMG leak puts coolant into cylinders 1 and 4 typically, so worth removing these spark plugs for examination. Spark plugs with a 'washed' appearance, perhaps with pink staining on the ceramic part are a sign of coolant contamination. This does produce a lumpy startup which improves as the egine warms up.

I haven't heard of the gross steam emission you describe during acceleration though. Are you sure it was steam and not pale blue oil smoke?

You clearly have a coolant leak that's quite serious for this engine, so essential to get it sorted.

TC
Pretty sure that it was white cloud and not blue. The car had been sat for a while I think due to me not having coolant to top up the level. Only happened once.
Old 15th January 2020, 14:19   #8
Paulo5000
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

How much would it be for someone to do the IMG? anyone near Penistone who likes this type of thing??!!
Old 15th January 2020, 14:49   #9
pletevl
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 cdti(rhd), MG ZR(lhd), MG TF(lhd), MG TF(rhd), mini mpi (lhd), Renault megane III (awful)

Quote:
Originally Posted by billh View Post
I'm having a similar problem ,I think.Coolant loss at about 1/2 litre per 50 miles. No external signs of leak. Engine runs fine. New (green) IMG about 2000 miles ago. Some mayo at the oil filler which may be due to time of year and mostly short runs or HGF ? No signs of oil or exhaust in expansion tank.
What does the team think,duff IMG install (by me!) or ,more seriously,HGF? 1.8T engine on 109K,by the way.
ETA: Can a leaking IMG cause oil contamination, say by leaking past pistons when standing?
This happened on a friends TF, too much coolant getting into the cylinder and it bent the conrod. Coolant cannot be compressed.

Get it fixed sooner rather than later.

Pete.
pletevl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2020, 18:25   #10
Paulo5000
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Is there a guide anywhere to do the IMG?

I can see some dried up pink residue around the centre top bolt of the inlet manifold, but not very much.

Anywhere else to look for evidence of IMG failure?

Also can someone point me to an example of the alloy manifold that I would need?