Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 13th January 2020, 18:43   #11
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbrooks View Post
The thin end of the wedge for Birmingham! Other city's will follow no doubt!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...ngham-51088499
Rob
Hi Rob. Been reading about this for the last 12 months. Well I can tell you that in around ten years time most shops will either move out of Brum or go to the wall. A lot of people I have spoken to say they will not go into Birmingham to shop when it comes in. They are also going to bring in a charge for parking your car at work. Also on about moving the main A 38 road that runs through the almost middle of the city to somewhere else. Economics of the madhouse if you ask me.
Old 13th January 2020, 18:49   #12
Olde faithful
Loves to post

ROVER 75 TOURER

I was born in the city of Birmingham, Brummie through and through... These left wing councils are nuts.... through and through... I have not stepped foot in my own city centre for two years going three,

NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- the city centre. may the internet crush these cities into the ground!!! sick of councils " we know best" as if a moving traffic back 3 miles is going to stop it, a little breeze it will there in 5 minutes utter tosh.#

Its the season of crush the car, well THAT COMES AT A PRICE! No customers to shopping centres then and more of us who dont go the faster they close, Mothercare went under yesterday, C&A, British home stores, Woolworths..Game going under this week, Flybe going under this week... why is that.. the car has been pushed out... measure out of city shopping complexs, weve all seen them over Christmas rammed out with shoppers....why car parking is available.

thats why!!! kill the car kill your town centre/city centre..... theres a war on here with lefties and sensibles theres only going to one winner sensibles.

you want no cars, COMETH THE HOUR THE INTERNET, PAY BACK TIME COUNCILS
Olde faithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2020, 18:50   #13
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Another write up in Forbes about it. https://www.forbes.com/sites/carlton...t#3552e4db760f

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2020, 18:54   #14
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-45 View Post
The first thing that they need to do is bring down the cost of public transport.

And as for 20 MPH speed limits, my mother’s road has had a 20 MPH limit for a number of years and it’s still a racetrack as there is never anyone around to enforce it !
20 mph. That’s a laugh as you say. We have a 20 mph on all our area. We live in a road with a junior middle school .20 mph limit is broken by about 20-40 mph all the time. It has turned into a rat run over the last 10 years because drivers don’t want to use the main road because of the amount of traffic.
Old 13th January 2020, 19:01   #15
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
It’s not the cost of public transport that needs revising, it’s the fact that it is woeful.

I was in Berlin a few years ago, about a foot of snow had fallen and all the trains were running g and arrived on time, spotlessly clean carriages too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Could this be something to do who owns most of our rail companies - A German company, Deutsche Bahn, runs several UK rail franchises—Arriva Trains Wales, Chiltern Railways, CrossCountry, Grand Central, and Northern. The German government is Deutsche Bahn’s majority shareholder.

No wonder they have money from dividends to invest in their domestic rail networks.
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2020, 19:03   #16
mileshawk56
Posted a thing or two

MGZT

It says in the Forbes article,'currently 25% of all Birmingham car journeys are of one mile or less' - I don't believe it, false news, yes I would think so and it is a pointer as to the problem the "we are all doomed"people have in getting many others, apart from very young children to believe their message. Chris.S
mileshawk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2020, 19:08   #17
The Rovering Member
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olde faithful View Post
Mothercare went under yesterday, C&A, British home stores, Woolworths..Game going under this week, Flybe going under this week
I was working on the shop delivery side of C&A when they pulled out of the U.K. They didn't go under, they still exist over on the continent, still owned by the family that started the company in the first place.

The Rovering Member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2020, 19:08   #18
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancpudn View Post
GMTE are putting a £10/year charge on train & tram travel on the free concessionary travel passes from 1st February, Bus travel is unaffected.

You can update your pass by various ways, My missus & myself will be getting our "free" travel pass updated this week as we use the train quite often.
Being in London, I am quite lucky public transport wise. Once you reach the age of 60 you can apply for a travel pass (£20 for 6 years) that covers buses, trains, trams and underground.
I have not driven into the center of London for several years now.

Crossrail will be included too - when its finished maybe one day ....
Old 13th January 2020, 19:21   #19
breakfastinsmethwick
Gets stuck in

Maintainer of sons ZT M47r

I travel 55 miles each way to work. Its from roughly the north west of West Mids to the south east side. This means I inhabit the M54, M6 or M6Toll regularly.

I have tried every combination of Trains, Trams, park and ride, park and cycle all of which result in (often) up to six hours a day travelling. The trains are so unreliable and crushed some weeks I started having panic attacks so I went back to driving. Thus I imagine the motorways around Brum will get even worse and I will just retire (early).

Anyone know a cheap B&B near the NEC?
breakfastinsmethwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2020, 19:31   #20
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Just looked at the possibility of taking a train for my weekly trip into the office, in the car its a 120 mile round trip - about 3 gallons of diesel.

Train fare is £51.20 plus about a £10 each way taxi ride from the station to the science park. Thats about £70 a trip or 3 to 4 times the cost of using the car.