Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 1st March 2018, 19:40   #1
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts
Question School fines

Should parents be able to fine schools £60 for closure during the cold, when schools fine parents for taking children out when it's warm
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2018, 19:52   #2
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Ha Ha Ha! Nice joke - but the premise is just that - a joke.

Schools close in bad weather on safety grounds.

Parents wish to take THEIR children out of school for all sorts of valid reasons - but I doubt “safety” is one of them.

Don’t get me wrong - I think Parents should be allowed to take their children out of normal school term time for a family holiday. I believe the child’s development is compromised by their NOT having quality family time.

But trying to play a stupid

NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-

(.) for tat game is not going to work and denigrates the very real issues parents and families have with the rigid academic timetable inflicted upon them.

Last edited by Darcydog; 1st March 2018 at 19:57.. Reason: Ok - t!t has connotations- so how about (.)
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2018, 19:55   #3
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Of course my tongue was firmly in my cheek Clive Just a little brevity on a cold, wintry night With the added bonus of Arsenal being stuffed
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2018, 20:05   #4
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
Ha Ha Ha! Nice joke - but the premise is just that - a joke.

Schools close in bad weather on safety grounds.

Parents wish to take THEIR children out of school for all sorts of valid reasons - but I doubt “safety” is one of them.

Don’t get me wrong - I think Parents should be allowed to take their children out of normal school term time for a family holiday. I believe the child’s development is compromised by their NOT having quality family time.

But trying to play a stupid

NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-

(.) for tat game is not going to work and denigrates the very real issues parents and families have with the rigid academic timetable inflicted upon them.
parents can take their children out in school time as long as the teacher can take their holiday in term time. The child will miss lessons and so when the teacher takes their holiday there will be no replacement teacher.

I suspect the No1 reason parents take their children out of school for holidays is cost. Whilst I accept there will be times when the parents cant get time off in school holidays, service personnel returning from tour of duty for example I do feel that holidays should not be during term time.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2018, 20:16   #5
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
Of course my tongue was firmly in my cheek Clive Just a little brevity on a cold, wintry night With the added bonus of Arsenal being stuffed
Your comment made me smile. Good bit of lateral thinking there ---

Take care though. It's like using a rocking chair in a room full of long tail cats.----------
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2018, 20:18   #6
Darcydog
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Your comment made me smile. Good bit of lateral thinking there ---

Take care though. It's like using a rocking chair in a room full of long tail cats.----------
Quite! ..........
Old 1st March 2018, 20:42   #7
Darcydog
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
parents can take their children out in school time as long as the teacher can take their holiday in term time. The child will miss lessons and so when the teacher takes their holiday there will be no replacement teacher.

I suspect the No1 reason parents take their children out of school for holidays is cost. Whilst I accept there will be times when the parents cant get time off in school holidays, service personnel returning from tour of duty for example I do feel that holidays should not be during term time.

macafee2
Hi Ian - that analogy only works if both sets of workers have the same amount of holiday. I suffered all my parental working life from trying to battle to get my 4 weeks and later 5 weeks to coincide with the academic school holidays.

The U.K. is not moving towards the modular basis of education used in more forward thinking Nations.

Why don’t we have our teaching staff working to the same sort of contracts as others?

If we deem our children to only need circa 40 weeks tuition time out of 52 - why do those 40 have to be at set times?

Why don’t we allow our children to take time out with their families and commit to those 40 weeks on a modular basis?

Other countries work this system well

If we scrapped the archaic existing 3 terms with a 6 week summer break with 2 weeks at both Easter and Christmas and 3 half term time breaks of a week each - plus up to 5 inset days - actually reduces a calendar year from 52 weeks to as little as 38 weeks.

If any thing - surely those that have 14 weeks (as opposed to those who have 5 weeks and no control of when those 5 are allocated to them) could be a little more fexible and forthcoming as to family holidays.

Last edited by Darcydog; 1st March 2018 at 20:44..
Old 1st March 2018, 20:50   #8
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
Should parents be able to fine schools £60 for closure during the cold, when schools fine parents for taking children out when it's warm
I always thought, if a school closure forces the family to arrange for child care or parental need to take time off work, there should be some compensation similar to child benefit.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote