Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 17th January 2020, 12:02   #11
Francophile
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Connoisseur SE Saloon

Thanks, marinabrian for this suggestion. There is a possible snag insofar as the locking screws might not fit in the black casing, but the heads could be cut off after tightening. A goodly dose of Loctite would also be prudent. Nevertheless, a very practical solution for which I am grateful.

Derek
Francophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2020, 13:59   #12
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francophile View Post
Thanks for the thought, Mike Noc. Did you do that to retrieve the one you illustrated? I should be adjacent to such an emporium tomorrow. I'll pose the question.

Derek.

I didn't need to carry out a repair Derek - I had a spare one from a car I had scrapped which was in good condition so I fitted it.

Did a similar thing to Brian though recently when the reverse gear interlock cable broke on my daughter's Citroen van. They wanted a staggering 280 odd quid for the complete gearchange assembly, so I got a cable from the local cycle shop with one end nipple correct and secured the other end with a cut down bit of chocbloc.

Last edited by Mike Noc; 17th January 2020 at 22:34..
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2020, 18:08   #13
Francophile
Avid contributor

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread. I am now utterly convinced that the cable is the culprit, due to earlier symptoms that I observed but didn't pursue: key working (effectively) in one direction only. I can't recall, however, if it was opening or closing, but it was only two or three times before the failure.

To dot the Is and cross the Ts on this topic, all the components for making cables are available from https://www.venhill.co.uk They will also build from a diagram or a pattern. I like the allen screw-equipped nipples. Very neat.

Derek.
Old 19th January 2020, 15:19   #14
JohnnyBG
Avid contributor

ZT-T

No dims in the broken cable photos but these are standard type brass barrels used in vintage / veteran and even postwar (like my) motorcycle. Particularly for gear change cables. I wouldn't use a screw type personally.

There is a technique to soldering in the cable to the barrel, from my motorcycle club site:

"I get my solder gear from the local plumbers merchants and flare the cable by gripping it in a vice with the shoulder of the nipple laying on top of the jaws. With 1/8" cable proud of the nipple using gentle tapping from a ballpein hammer it splays out quite neatly. Remove from vice and slide the nipple down the cable. Clean the cable with carb cleaner to remove any excess grease etc, dip in flux and and play gentle heat on the cable avoiding it becoming cherry red, tin it with solder and slide the nipple down into it whilst its hot, dab another bit of solder onto the cable and then holding vertically slowly dip the lot into the flux pot. You should end up with a lovely dome of solder with the cable ends just poking through which you can then dress down with a file or bench grinder"

I don't use a solder pot but a very small gas soldering iron, avoiding overheating the cable as it will de-nature it, that's why I've added the bold. The splying out is important, there are tools for doing it but the method above works fine.

JohnnyBG

Last edited by JohnnyBG; 19th January 2020 at 15:21.. Reason: additional guidance
JohnnyBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2020, 19:02   #15
Francophile
Avid contributor

Hello again,

Here is the culprit, as anticipated:

The cable is 0.025" (0.6mm) x 10.9" (275mm). The stops (3No) are 0.225" (5.7mm) diameter x 0.2" (5.1mm) long. My dial gauge doesn't acknowledge metric, so I have used 25.4mm per inch for conversion. The finest cable that Venhill offer is 1.25mm, at £1.96 per metre (plus postage). The same size is available as 'gear inner wire' from Wilco, at £1.50 for 2m. The only suitable solder ends are Venhill ref. BN575/55A. The screw-type nipples are way too large.

Derek.

PS The nipples used on the original cable are ferrous, not cuprous. Hence they were probably crimped or resistance welded.

Last edited by Francophile; 16th February 2020 at 10:24.. Reason: Postscript added.
Old 15th February 2020, 20:10   #16
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

No cutting. Use grub screws instead of the screws with heads.===
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2020, 17:22   #17
tonytj
Regular poster

MG ZT 160+ KV6 Saloon - Rover 75 CDT Tourer SE

Default Cable repair ends 5mm

Hi,

I was looking for cable ends just out off intrest to see what i could find and i found these from dark ice designs on ebay item number
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l500.jpg (70.3 KB, 15 views)
tonytj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2020, 18:17   #18
Francophile
Avid contributor

Hello Tony,

Were these screw ends on UK ebay, or elsewhere. I've tried to copy-and-paste your reference, but no trace of either the trader or the item No. However, the similar product from Venhill is the right diameter and length for the drums in the 'black box'.

I have bought three on spec, and they fit a treat. There are, however, two snags with the items I have sourced: the 1.2mm cable ('rope' in technical parlance, apparently) jams in the grooves on the drums; the hole for the cable in the screw ends needs to be countersunk to permit splaying and soldering the cable as explained by Johnny BG in post #14. I wouldn't be comfortable relying on the screw when there is only a millimetre, or so, past it.

There is a company in the UK, SWR, who stock 0.6mm cable - and even thinner. They offer bespoke services, https://steelwirerope.com so I intend to give them a call tomorrow. Watch this space.

Derek.
Old 16th February 2020, 19:52   #19
BOZZ
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francophile View Post
Hello Tony,

Were these screw ends on UK ebay, or elsewhere. I've tried to copy-and-paste your reference, but no trace of either the trader or the item No. However, the similar product from Venhill is the right diameter and length for the drums in the 'black box'.

I have bought three on spec, and they fit a treat. There are, however, two snags with the items I have sourced: the 1.2mm cable ('rope' in technical parlance, apparently) jams in the grooves on the drums; the hole for the cable in the screw ends needs to be countersunk to permit splaying and soldering the cable as explained by Johnny BG in post #14. I wouldn't be comfortable relying on the screw when there is only a millimetre, or so, past it.

There is a company in the UK, SWR, who stock 0.6mm cable - and even thinner. They offer bespoke services, https://steelwirerope.com so I intend to give them a call tomorrow. Watch this space.

Derek.
YOU are doing stunning:smil ie_re:
Old 17th February 2020, 12:53   #20
Francophile
Avid contributor

Back again...with bad news.

SWR no longer stock 0.6mm wire rope; their finest is now 0.81mm, but only in stainless. Their minimum order value is £100.00, so that good idea is a non-starter...unless at least nine other members would be willing to share with me. We would have enough rope for circa 3600 locks; 360 each!

Another potential solution has gone away. Rimmers still list the driver's door handle mechanism for LHD vehicles, but allegedly awaiting restocking. It looks, to me, as if the individual elements of the unit are symmetrical (logical production engineering), in which case the LHD version could be converted to RHD by some subtle rearrangement of the components. I was prepared to buy one as a speculation. Unfortunately, Rimmers tell me the delivery is now five months late, so is unlikely to happen.

Back to research, but meanwhile I will make up a cable using the Wilco and Venhill components to see whether it would be acceptable despite its stiffness.

Derek.