Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 9th October 2014, 09:04   #1
Rp61973
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTI Classic

Default Urgent help!

I have run into problems trying to fix my door lock. The white nylon push button actuator (with a small spring) has come adrift from the internal push button plate. I have the external door handle off but can't remove the actuator. I can't get the door lock cylinder out of the plate!

Haynes manual is useless. I have an mot at 11:30 this morning. Bob hope and no hope!
Old 9th October 2014, 15:43   #2
Rp61973
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTI Classic

Unfortunately missed the mot. Got the @&£? thing back together. Made sure three treads were sticking out the bottom of the white clip. All seemed to be ok then disaster; door opens and shuts ok until you lock it with the remote and then unlock it again. Door wont open. Central locking seems to be working - the sill pip goes down when locked and up when unlocked.

The only way to open the door is by fishing around inside, lifting the white clip and then pushing it down.

I have wasted a day on this and am now thoroughly sick of it.
Old 9th October 2014, 16:15   #3
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Hi.
New problem that I've not come across. Hopefully someone in the "know" will come along with some help.
Old 10th October 2014, 11:49   #4
Rp61973
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTI Classic

MOT now expired and 75 sitting dormant on drive as an ornament.

I can't believe this is so problematic.

I uncoupled the rod from the nylon connector that connects to the external handle. When either the internal door cable is pulled or the white plastic adjuster is pressed, the door opens perfectly, either after locking. I have increased the number of threads to 6 and before uncoupling the rod, the door would only partially latch.

Has anyone a photo they could post on here of the drivers door link, so I can ensure I have it right?

At the moment, I can only assume that the 3 or 6 threads is not enough and the number should be more like what was there originally before I took it apart - i.e. around 12-15 threads.

Thanks

Paul
Old 10th October 2014, 12:47   #5
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

The number of threads is directly affected by the angle of the two bends in the rod as this alters the linear length of the rod. Almost every one I have done is 3 threads but there are instances of it being 9 and 12. Unfortunately trial and error is the only way forward.

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2014, 17:19   #6
Rp61973
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTI Classic

Hmm, I think I will revert to the original 12 or 15 threads and see how this goes. The 6 threads allows the door to shut (if slammed hard) and then it won't open again if the car is locked. Strangely enough the door shut fine with just the three threads exposed until it was locked - and then it wouldn't unlock.

I suspect the results won't be 'linear' with the number of threads - i.e. it won't get gradually better - all that hopefully will happen is that I will gradually increase the threads until it is right.

Has anyone got a pic of the drivers side, front door rod in place they can send.

I think a nice tube of Arbomast will be the order of the day for re-attaching the foam vapour barrier.

Thanks Stocktake.
Old 10th October 2014, 17:44   #7
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rp61973 View Post
Hmm, I think I will revert to the original 12 or 15 threads and see how this goes. The 6 threads allows the door to shut (if slammed hard) and then it won't open again if the car is locked. Strangely enough the door shut fine with just the three threads exposed until it was locked - and then it wouldn't unlock.

I suspect the results won't be 'linear' with the number of threads - i.e. it won't get gradually better - all that hopefully will happen is that I will gradually increase the threads until it is right.

Has anyone got a pic of the drivers side, front door rod in place they can send.

I think a nice tube of Arbomast will be the order of the day for re-attaching the foam vapour barrier.

Thanks Stocktake.
hope you manage to get it sorted, I was using the word linear in an attempt to explain the total tength of the rod if measured end to end in a straight line, Sorry if it confused you probably a poor choice of word. Learn all sorts on here everyday

linear

adjective
arranged in or extending along a straight or nearly straight line.

involving one dimension only.

progressing from one stage to another in a single series of steps; sequential.
"a linear narrative"

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2014, 18:00   #8
Rp61973
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTI Classic

Hi Stocktake,

I wasn't referring to your statement of linear; what I was trying to say (but I don't think it came across well) was that I don't think the effects of the adjustment might be linear with the number of threads showing. i.e. 3 threads, good closure, but jammed when locked, 6 threads - awful closure (needed to be slammed and jammed when locked), 12 threads hopefully better or OK (fingers crossed).

i.e. I would perhaps have expected the 6 thread effect to have been better than that of the three threads.

Then again perhaps I need a lie down. Sitting on the damp ground in the p1ssing rain yesterday has bu66ered my back, so I think I will take a sabbatical from it tomorrow and perhaps look at it again on Sunday (weather permitting of course).
Old 14th October 2014, 12:26   #9
Rp61973
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTI Classic

Update - I opened up the white nylon adjuster and the threads seemed to be well past their best. I have ordered a couple of these from Rimmers, along with some spare door clips and they have pitched up today.

IF it doesn't pee down with rain this evening, I will have a go at getting it all back together. I will leave the doortrim off for a while, but hopefully get a new ticket on the old girl sometime later this week.
Old 14th October 2014, 12:35   #10
alanjay
Passed Away

Rover 75 Connie Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rp61973 View Post
Update - I opened up the white nylon adjuster and the threads seemed to be well past their best. I have ordered a couple of these from Rimmers, along with some spare door clips and they have pitched up today.

IF it doesn't pee down with rain this evening, I will have a go at getting it all back together. I will leave the doortrim off for a while, but hopefully get a new ticket on the old girl sometime later this week.
Good luck and hope all goes well, I had a power steering hose go day before MOT, nearly four weeks to locate a replacement so I know how it feels having to treat the car as a garden ornament.
alanjay is offline   Reply With Quote