Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 19th September 2014, 16:01   #11
fraz59
Loves to post

MG-ZT

Well I got the new PRT..fitted it and also got new antifreeze (OAT Stuff) followed the guide and still cant get rid of the airlock (I presume its an airlock)

have now done the procedure as described for bleeding the system 3 times now, have waited till the fan cuts in at 104/105 allowed to cool, checked the level when cool, and then took it for a drive

same as before....fine in and around traffic, temp gets up to around 87, but as soon as you get on motorway and speed up temp drops down to 67

have now no doubt flushed all the antifreeze out so will be getting more and try one again

just to confirm I am doing things correctly

Take out bleed screw on metal pipe (8mm one)

heater on hot (though mine is climate control so don't see why that would matter? but have ignition on with high setting)

Fill expansion bottle and allow coolant to come out bleed screw

re-fit bleed screw when at correct level in expansion tank, check it and top up if required ( have even checked it using a tape..93mm for the top)

start car and hold at about 2000 revs until level start to reach top of expansion bottle neck

Re-fit cap and continue to hold at 2000 revs till fan cuts in (checked it and does come on at 104/105

drop revs and allow fan to cut off

allow to cool and check level

take for drive and swear as heater temp gauge does the same thing as before

so I am doing it wrong perhaps??

one thing I have noticed is there is like small copper bits in the water...could this be some additive that is in there, I did flush the full system, also reversed flushed as well
fraz59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2014, 16:50   #12
fraz59
Loves to post

MG-ZT

Just took the car a run for about 20 miles on motorway , motorway speeds 65 mph to 70 mph temp dropped down from 70 to 53 then down to 49 towards the end of the 20 mile run . I came off motorway and temp slowly climbed back up 70 when doing a max 30 mph in town traffic

there is no signs of a headgasket failure, no white smoke, no oil in water or water in oil, car drives fine and I can see no leaks from any place

I have read about a ball valve..where is this and could that be causing a problem ??..should I also try another expansion cap ?? also read about some people have fitted another thermostat but it should not be done...where do they fit this ?clutching at straws perhaps

I have never in all my years had so much problems with air in a car system!!
Old 19th September 2014, 18:31   #13
fraz59
Loves to post

MG-ZT

I use the temp on the digital display (found how to get that up)

car is well hot and you cant really hold top hose as it is very hot
Old 19th September 2014, 20:54   #14
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraz59 View Post
motorway speeds 65 mph to 70 mph temp dropped down from 70C to 53C then down to 49C towards the end of the 20 mile run.
That's cooler than a diesel with the old thermostat issue. With all the squeezing and bleeding and filling and watching you've done, an air lock seems quite improbable to me. The 1.8 engine virtually fills itself. The engines overcooling and that points to a thermostat problem.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2014, 21:08   #15
fraz59
Loves to post

MG-ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
That's cooler than a diesel with the old thermostat issue. With all the squeezing and bleeding and filling and watching you've done, an air lock seems quite improbable to me. The 1.8 engine virtually fills itself. The engines overcooling and that points to a thermostat problem.

TC
well I just got a new one fitted..got it from DMGRS, I will haul it off and test it in the kettle

would it be this jiggle valve I have read about?? and where is it

just had another thought ...I fitted same as the one already on the car, could it be fitted incorrectly ??
Old 19th September 2014, 22:21   #16
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
.. still cant get rid of the airlock (I presume its an airlock)
Fraser,

I agree with T-Cut. Your symptoms do not suggest an airlock. That usually causes overheating. Your car is doing the opposite and indicates that the thermostat is always open.

Quote:
.. heater on hot ...
Irrelevant (and not in the official MGR procedure which I advised you to follow).
Quote:
... re-fit bleed screw when at correct level in expansion tank ...
Not quite. Please read the procedure carefully; it's in post no. 4.

Quote:
Re-fit cap and continue to hold at 2000 revs till fan cuts in (checked it and does come on at 104/105
So your engine does reach the correct temperature at idle. Hmmm.
Quote:
... take for drive and swear as heater temp gauge does the same thing as before...
Heater temp gauge? Can you explain what you mean by this Fraser.

Quote:
.. one thing I have noticed is there is like small copper bits in the water...could this be some additive that is in there ...
Yes; it looks like bodger man has put K-seal in it. Oh dear.

Quote:
... motorway speeds 65 mph to 70 mph temp dropped down from 70 to 53 then down to 49 towards the end of the 20 mile run .
49°C? Are you sure? You are looking at IPK diagnostics display 7.0 aren't you, or are you using an aftermarket device?

This is not making any sense. Is there something which you've yet to reveal to us?

Simon
Old 20th September 2014, 08:48   #17
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

You temperature readings are nonsensical.

Check the workings of the sender unit before anything else.
kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2014, 08:52   #18
fraz59
Loves to post

MG-ZT

thank you Simon...my reply in red below ...will go out and flush it all again and try once more

Originally Posted by fraz59
.. still cant get rid of the airlock (I presume its an airlock)
Fraser,

I agree with T-Cut. Your symptoms do not suggest an airlock. That usually causes overheating. Your car is doing the opposite and indicates that the thermostat is always open.

Quote:
.. heater on hot ...
Irrelevant (and not in the official MGR procedure which I advised you to follow).

I have the heater on since you said have the Econ button on, I presume it must be switched on for it to work correctly ..and what I did say was but trying anything now

heater on hot (though mine is climate control so don't see why that would matter? but have ignition on with high setting)

Quote:
... re-fit bleed screw when at correct level in expansion tank ...
Not quite. Please read the procedure carefully; it's in post no. 4.

sorry did that bit wrong then

Quote:
So your engine does reach the correct temperature at idle. Hmmm.

yes get up to temp and heater nice and hot, also when at low speeds

Quote:
... take for drive and swear as heater temp gauge does the same thing as before...
Heater temp gauge? Can you explain what you mean by this Fraser.

sorry should be dash temp gauge goes right down as does the temp on IPK and heater is cooler

Quote:
.. one thing I have noticed is there is like small copper bits in the water...could this be some additive that is in there ...
Yes; it looks like bodger man has put K-seal in it. Oh dear.

looks like a lot of flushing then

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraz59
... motorway speeds 65 mph to 70 mph temp dropped down from 70 to 53 then down to 49 towards the end of the 20 mile run .

49°C? Are you sure? You are looking at IPK diagnostics display 7.0 aren't you, or are you using an aftermarket device?

This is not making any sense. Is there something which you've yet to reveal to us?

sorry not up to speed on what things on car are called, hence why I said the digital display on car ..so yes I go to test 19 then on to test 7 to get the temp displayed
Old 20th September 2014, 09:17   #19
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
well I just got a new one (PRT) fitted..got it from DMGRS. I will haul it off and test it in the kettle. - - - I fitted same as the one already on the car, could it be fitted incorrectly?
It would be difficult to fit incorrectly with the standard pipework. The results don't indicate that. The evidence suggests the stat is permanently open. If you test it, when cold see if it holds water on the 'from radiator' side shown here.

Quote:
would it be this jiggle valve I have read about and where is it?
It's a small ball valve in the inlet manifold to control head venting when refilling. This isn't what's causing your problem.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2014, 21:30   #20
fraz59
Loves to post

MG-ZT

Well never got a chance to flushout the system or do anything very much today, as sons car (Astra 1.9 CDTI) had the usual duel mass fly wheel problem, so was busy taking the gear box out of that all day

But I did have to go and get some parts and also take wife to Asda, So took some photos to show the problem

I did also check the old thermostat it worked as it should, opened when boiling water was poured in, and closed again with cold water . Now since that was doing the same think with that in the car I can only presume the new one on the car will be the same

When driving through the traffic temp on the Digital display ( IPK as you call it) was at most 76, I never got any photos as phone was not on camera and wife could not get to the camera !!!

Anyway after getting car parts, wife went into Asda, I sat in the car with engine running at idle

So fan has now cut in, went out and checked under car ..no water drips

Went down the road through traffic and temp started to drop ( Picture while at traffic lights)

On to the Motorway and after 10 miles or so

Then a few miles more

Then after 20 mile so just coming off motorway

Then allowed engine to cool for a while (about 2 hours) and checked the level

As you can see the temp drops way down!!

So I am now at a complete loss as to what the problem is, and now starting to suspect the head gasket, but even that show no real signs of a problem as would expect over heating not what I am getting, will also check the thermostat on the car (the new one) BUT I really doubt it is faulty considering the old one is working as it should. I read about people fitting another stat someplace on these engine…could that perhaps be the problem an dif so where would they fit one?

Going to flush thoroughly tomorrow as in every single hose I can get off and flush through both ways

And thank you all that have helped. I do appreciate your replies and help