Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 14th October 2007, 20:56   #1
Andyb123
Loves to post

Rover 75 2L CDT Conn Se HiLine SATNAV

Red face Webasto Heater

Following my trip to Keith the other day, during which we lookied at the webasto heater unit. We could get all the various bits to start apart from one of two items or both: the fuel supplu pump and or the glow plug.

My question is; does the glow plug need to get hot and send a signal for the fuel supply pump to then start sending fuel, or does the pump need to start providing fuel regardless of whether the glow plug is working or not.

We could not determine which of these two components were working or not.

Any one out there with any ideas?.

Thanks all.

Last edited by Andyb123; 14th October 2007 at 20:57.. Reason: typos
Andyb123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2007, 09:11   #2
NeilP

Rover 75 Tourer 2.0 CDT Connoisseur

I was hunting for info to upgrade my webasto to a parking heater and came across your thread. I have quite extensive knowledge of boats and Webastos are used in them. The glowplug must get hot before the fuel pump will start to prevent neat fuel pouring out of the exhaust. Its really common for the glowplugs to burn out since they are always on when the unit is working to burn the fuel. Hope this helps and if you know of any hacks/tricks to get my webasto to work remotely rather than only when its <5 deg, I'll be grateful for the steer. Neil
NeilP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2007, 09:40   #3
JohnFol
Gets stuck in

75 Conn SE - X***VWY

Spot on. Part of the start up sequence is to detect flame before the pin6 pulses 12v to the pump.

have a look at this for some more info
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...hlight=cdt+fbh

There is of course the timer / telestart retrofits, but without either the FBH requires the engine to be running in order to activate (below 5 degrees). If I am going to run the engine it sort of defeats some of the benefits.

I've found a way to activate it without the need for the engine to run, and a way of having either a timer or maunal buton to turn it off. I should be able to fit it at the end of the week (around 6th / 7th December) and will post details to all if it works.

to make it look good I would like to get a "push to make" button that fits into the button panel, is illumitaned and has a decal that relates to heating.

Any suggestions or offers on that last point most welcome
JohnFol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2007, 10:00   #4
simpsora
Regular poster

2001 2.00 CDT 116 bhp

Hi,
my understanding of the webasto Glowplug was that it drew about 15 amps during ignition phase ,so therefore, an ammeter mearurement in series with the webasto power supply would rise significantly for that period of time ,proving if glowplug is functioning (or not). Also my understanding was that once combustion was established the glow plug became the flame detector , ie the glow plug does not operate continuosly to maintain flame , and that the ceramic type glow plugs were more robust than the previous types. Robert
simpsora is offline   Reply With Quote