Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 28th December 2006, 21:15   #1
Matt brighton
Avid contributor

Alfa Romeo 159 !!

Default Auto neutral mode ? and rad or bumper removal

Hello,

I am a bit of a fuss-pot and the gearbox is really smooth and quiet - but want to ask for some 2nd opinions here please =

According to the handbook - my gearbox should automatically select neutral from a drive gear (diesel models only) if the car is still and the brake applied.

It dosn't.

Anything obvious I should check ?

- and I am not fully convinced the "Hill descent mode" is operating properly too - as the car feels like it changes down when I brake whether going downhill or on a level road

Any comments / observations and advice very welcome.

Also

The haynes recommends removing the rad etc to get at that pesky cooling fan (drain rad - de gass air con- but the posts I have read and looking at the car suggests the easier route to be to take the bumper off------what are the pro's cons ??

Thanks chaps

Matt-brighton
Old 28th December 2006, 22:27   #2
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Pass on the Auto I dont have one but goiing into Neutral from Drive sounds highly unlikely

And if the Haynes manual says to get to the fan via that route then the are bigger fools than I thought and have not done there homework as there is also the aircon condensor to get past as well. Bumper off is the easiest route by miles
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2006, 07:56   #3
Matt brighton
Avid contributor

Alfa Romeo 159 !!

Thanks for the reply Keith - much appreciated.

The automatic neutral mode is there in black & white in my owners handbook.

As I said - I am a real fuss pot - listening for rattles and squeaks is a bit of an illness of mine.

I occasionally have to drive other cars - which helpfully puts things into perspective and reminds me how good the 75 really is.

All the best

Matt-brighton
Old 29th December 2006, 09:22   #4
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Yes I read it

"Automatic neutral mode (diesel models only)
To improve fuel economy and reduce emissions, the
transmission automatically selects neutral from a drive gear
if the vehicle is stationary and the brake is applied. The
drive gear will automatically reselect when the brake is
released."

I wonder if it really does work like that though, my guess the lever does not move and this is happening within the box itself and you may just notice a temp rise in tickover but I wonder why it is a dielsel only thing unless it is a diesel only engine ECU specific command?
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2006, 09:39   #5
apywell
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon. 2.0 Diesel Auto. Connoisseur SE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Yes I read it

"Automatic neutral mode (diesel models only)
To improve fuel economy and reduce emissions, the
transmission automatically selects neutral from a drive gear
if the vehicle is stationary and the brake is applied. The
drive gear will automatically reselect when the brake is
released."

I wonder if it really does work like that though, my guess the lever does not move and this is happening within the box itself and you may just notice a temp rise in tickover but I wonder why it is a dielsel only thing unless it is a diesel only engine ECU specific command?
Hi Keith

I have never noticed a change in tickover while waiting at lights. In fact when my engine is running normally (not the lumpy running i get sometimes) and i pull up at lights there does seem to be some change like going into neutral. It is a very smooth transaction from stop to pulling away. But no so when stopping. But then this is the first Diesel and first Auto I have owned so I don't know how they should behave.
apywell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2006, 09:47   #6
apywell
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon. 2.0 Diesel Auto. Connoisseur SE.

Quote:
According to the handbook - my gearbox should automatically select neutral from a drive gear (diesel models only) if the car is still and the brake applied.

It dosn't.

Hi Matt

As the hand book says.... it should automatically go from been in gear to tickover when the brake is applied. Sometimes mine can judder while the brake is applied but I think that is associated with my lumpy running that needs sorting out.

So does your 75 stall at lights?
apywell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2006, 09:52   #7
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt brighton View Post
Hello,

I am a bit of a fuss-pot and the gearbox is really smooth and quiet - but want to ask for some 2nd opinions here please =

It dosn't.

Matt-brighton
Well My 2005 Auto doesn't do that, (go into Neutral) and its not in my 2005 Facelift handbook now (Was in the 2002 Handbook though) Im sure Ive read about this on .org will go and have a look.

Last edited by JohnDotCom; 29th December 2006 at 09:54..
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2006, 09:57   #8
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDotCom View Post
Well My 2005 Auto doesn't do that, (go into Neutral) and its not in my 2005 Facelift handbook now (Was in the 2002 Handbook though) Im sure Ive read about this on .org will go and have a look.
Went to .org and fair bit on this and changing into Neutral at Traffic lights etc, but main answers are:

"Actually this only happens on the petrol versions, the diesels do not go into neutral when the brakes are applied when at a standstill.
The 75/ZT owners manual was updated in 2004 to correct the incorrect information originally printed regarding the above."
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2006, 10:21   #9
madone
Posted a thing or two

none

Mine is a 53 CDT auto and I have wondered myself why its in the handbook as it does not happen. At standstill in D it ticks over normally and when I release the foot brake away she goes. If I put her in N at lights whilst waiting you have to think ahead for a couple of seconds before selecting D to let her select gear, otherwise if you hit the accelerator too early a little "clunk" happens.

Not an expert as this is my first auto.
madone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2006, 11:37   #10
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDotCom View Post
Went to .org and fair bit on this and changing into Neutral at Traffic lights etc, but main answers are:

"Actually this only happens on the petrol versions, the diesels do not go into
Whoever said this is entirely wrong, petrols don't and never have entered neutral at standstill when the brake is applied.
Try blipping the throttle when stationary with Drive selected and the Handbrake applied. That will tell you what is what. (cover the footbrake for an emergency stop though just in case).
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote