Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 15th January 2024, 15:16   #1
Alikris
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 1.8 Connie SE

Default Jatco Auto Gearbox Leaking

Hi, I was under the car today changing a burst coolant hose and noticed what appears to be a lot? of fluid leaking from the auto gearbox (see picture).

The local garage is fully booked 'til Feb but they did come up and have a quick look (and brought me some Engine Coolant ) and said the front cover of the gearbox is corroding and become porous.

So new front cover and gasket needed at minimum. Problem is that Rimmers don't have any such stock, nor do DMGRS.

I guess it's a standard part? But where can I get one from? The garage say they'll try and source one though their usual suppliers. So fingers crossed. I can't imagine it's a rare part, the auto gearbox surely is a standard type one?

In the meantime I don't know how long it's been leaking, I didn't notice anything amiss when I changed the engine oil last spring. There's no noticeable gearbox problem when driving or manually selecting gears. The whole area and around front sub frame is saturated with ATF though (as you can see in the pic). I've taken a risk and put 200ml of ATF in the top filler. Hope that is ok?

I can't check how much ATF is in it as I don't have the ability to raise the car level, just a pair of ordinary wheel ramps.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ali.

Edit: Searching online the part I need is apparently a "JF506E pan" The gearbox being a Jatco JF506E. Plenty of pan gaskets for sale but not found a pan.

EDIT 2: Found this online from JP Ltd
Quote:
183766A .........Pan, JF506E (Freelander) Side (2 Studs) (Dipstick Tube Is 3/4” Tall And Is At The Top In The Center) 2002-Up
(see pic) Don't know if this is the item I need?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gearbox_leak.jpg (130.6 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg jatco_pan.jpg (102.0 KB, 30 views)
  • Vicky: born Thursday, 15th April 2004 @ 08:20:55. The 95,246th 75 to be produced, and the 4,783rd 75 in British Racing Green Pearlescent.

Last edited by Alikris; 15th January 2024 at 16:22..
Alikris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2024, 17:06   #2
Nantwich 75
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

You can get a gasket from JP Auto, this is for the solenoid cover.
Nantwich 75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2024, 19:02   #3
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alikris View Post
The local garage ... said the front cover of the gearbox is corroding and become porous.
Hello Ali,

I think that diagnosis is probably unreliable. There has never been a similar problem reported on the forum. It's more likely to be a leaking gasket.

I'd recommend that you use a degreasing product such as Gunk to clean the front cover then drive the car for a limited mileage and repeat the inspection. That will give you a clearer idea of the source of the contamination.

Simon
Old 15th January 2024, 20:02   #4
Alikris
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 1.8 Connie SE

Thanks Simon. I tend to agree with you about the gasket. However If you look at the pic I posted the 'pan' is quite rusty. The garage only did a quick look on my drive with the car on the wheel ramps.

Here's a better pic I took this afternoon:

That said, if you say there's never been a pan that's rusted though that you know of, that sounds positive!, I'll get some degreasing spray and brush it in well over as much of the area as I can and then jetwash it off ASAP but not tomorrow as we've snow forecast. The windchill was well below freezing up here today.

Thanks,
Ali.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jatco_closeup.jpg (115.2 KB, 60 views)
  • Vicky: born Thursday, 15th April 2004 @ 08:20:55. The 95,246th 75 to be produced, and the 4,783rd 75 in British Racing Green Pearlescent.
Old 15th January 2024, 20:57   #5
BigRuss
Premium Trader

75 CDT Tourer,2.5 Launch Saloon, Omipro MG/Rover (T4)

Thanked 1,340 Times in 661 Posts

I have come across a severely corroded cover before that was leaking due to it rusting through
Fortunately at that time I had a spare that I had from a car that had been scrapped that was fitted for the customer.

Always fit a new cork gasket if possible as that way as soon as the cover is refitted the car is ready to go.

If you go down the sealant route care needs to be taken to ensure the correct amount is used and that the sealant must fully cure before the car can be used.

Russ

Replacement Key Service
http://https://the75andztclub.co.uk/...d.php?t=244732
Full T4 Testbook diagnostics available.
Diesel ECU repair and replacement.
Options enabled or disabled as required.
Diesel X-Power 135 and 160bhp, Rover 1.8T 150 to 160
MG 160 V6 to 177 upgrades available
P.M. for details.
BigRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2024, 21:22   #6
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

I've heard of this too - Terry at TSAutos has come across it.The original fitment pans didn't have a gasket just sealant, but nothing to stop you using one if you want.
Does your car have an undertray fitted? They might give a bit of protection from road salt in the winter.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2024, 11:02   #7
Alikris
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 1.8 Connie SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRuss View Post
I have come across a severely corroded cover before that was leaking due to it rusting through
Thanks Russ, Yes, will purchase a cork gasket. Can the covers be welded? Obviously won't find out if it's rusted too much until it's in the garage and the cover is removed. It's my only car so I can't have it off the road for longer than a week.

To be safe I'd rather source a cover now. I'll know more once I've degreased the area and watched for where the leakage is.

Any idea where I can get a cover from or are they unobtainable?

It didn't have an engine tray for many years when I bought it and I did fit one but in the end the connections on the subframe rusted away so I can't fit the cover back.

I got very little sleep last night, I'm worried sick about this. And scared of driving her now

Ali.

Last edited by Alikris; 16th January 2024 at 12:44..
Old 16th January 2024, 13:42   #8
SD1too

Quote:
I got very little sleep last night, I'm worried sick about this.
Hello Ali,

Looking at your first post and the selection of fluid pans available from JPAT (a thoroughly professional and helpful company by the way), MG Rover's manual shows that it has 20 bolts and no dipstick entry.

I'd recommend that your garage proceeds to remove the rusty item, then telephone JPAT to determine that they have an exact replacement suitable for the Rover 75 (there may be differences with the Freelander) and buy the gasket as well (JPAT part no. N228 25 03).

When refilling the gearbox it's important that your garage uses a fluid meeting the Texaco N402 specification.

Quote:
It didn't have an engine tray for many years when I bought it and I did fit one but in the end the connections on the subframe rusted away ...
Do you mean the Dzus receptacles which look like a large spire clip (the devices used on panels to receive a coarse threaded screw)? If so, you can buy replacements.

Simon
Old 20th January 2024, 13:13   #9
Alikris
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 1.8 Connie SE

Thanks Simon.

I degreased the whole area yesterday, jetwashed and dried with heat gun.

Latest photo enclosed.

Although the pan has some rusty areas, rubbing with my hand on the front side of the cover shows it's bone dry, so no leakage.

The leakage is from around the bottom bolts nearest the camera, you can see the drips forming. I've not taken a much closer look because it was raining. I had placed a tray under the gearbox but difficult to tell if any drips have accumulated since yesterday due to wind/rain/blown leaves.

I think it's probably just the gasket leaking around the bolt holes. I'll phone JPAT on Monday to enquire about the cost of a new pan/cover but hopefully just getting the garage to replace the gasket and derusting / painting the pan will be sufficient?

The parts label on the pan cover is dated 26/01/04 so probably original.

Ali.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg atf_leak2.jpg (70.4 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by Alikris; 20th January 2024 at 13:18..
Old 20th January 2024, 14:14   #10
SD1too

Quote:
I think it's probably just the gasket leaking around the bolt holes ... hopefully just getting the garage to replace the gasket and derusting / painting the pan will be sufficient?
Thanks very much Ali for the update and latest photograph.

In the days of my SD1 I once had the sump degreased then shot-blasted to remove the surface rust. I then sprayed the exterior with either Smoothrite or stone chip paint. The result was very satisfying. That might be an option for you too, if you can find a business these days to do it.

Simon